[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I applied to a job in Paris - They want to interview me next month.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 4eda2f565462a_pass.png (156 KB, 349x396) Image search: [Google]
4eda2f565462a_pass.png
156 KB, 349x396
IN Paris. I'm currently in Seattle. I'm 20, still live with my parents. I would really rather them not know.

Should I go to France and not tell them? Book my flight on may 4th, come back may 6th? Ahhhh I don't know what to do.
>>
>>16999731
Should've thought of that before you applied for a job out of the country!
>>
>>16999731
They're going to have to know eventually, because they will have to get you a French work visa for you to work there.

I'm going to guess that you applied online. Didn't the form include your home address?

If not, you're just going to have to tell them where you are. Suggest a Skype interview.
>>
>>16999735
It's not something that would influence my decision in taking the job offer. But just something to think about. Chill lol

>>16999759
THEY will? I'm 20. I made clear that I'm American living in America.
>>
Why don't you want your parents to know? Are they the freedom fries type?

The company is paying for your flights right?
>>
>they are paying for your flights
>they know you are american and will arrange a work visa

Have these criteria been met?
>>
>>16999731

If you're applying for a job outside of your country, they should be paying for your travel expenses (unless you went full retard and used a fake address)

If they're paying, go.
>>
>>16999731
>>16999791
The foreign legion doesn't accept women or faggots btw
>>
Having to travel for an interview is common enough. I've had two interviews this year, both required flights, and the company covered it both times.

Are they covering your travel? If so, this is an easy decision. Go. If not, you need to decide whether or not it is worth it to travel there. What if you don't get the job? Does this out you in a bad situation financially? I would ask if they will cover your travel, and if not, if they can do a Skype interview. This is perfectly reasonable.

Good luck!
>>
>>16999808
They're very protective (I'm a female btw). They're kind of creatures of habit so I think that if I tell them I'll going to France they'll get mad.
>>16999819
They are not paying for my flight, but will sponsor me for a visa.
>>16999826
/\
>>
>>16999838
>They are not paying for my flight
RED FLAG ALERT RIGHT THERE

Seriously. You can't do this.
>>
File: taken.jpg (21 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
taken.jpg
21 KB, 615x409
tell your parents before you go to Paris
it's a shithole today
>>
>>16999843
Yes but it's a job in France meant for Americans who live in France. If anything, I fucked them up a bit applying from the US. I'm grateful that they even accepted me this far.
>>
>>16999906
In that case... here is what you should do. Apply for many jobs in Paris. Try to arrange for interviews around that time. Then say that you will be in Paris between May 2 and May 6. Do as many interviews as possible on the spot.

Don't fly to one single interview at your own expense. Unless you come from a rich family, that's a high-risk, low-reward venture.
>>
If it were me I'd book the flight first and then tell them about it.

Use the flight as leverage and proof of commitment.

You cant avoid telling them, even if you plan to go anyway.
>>
>>16999933
>Don't fly to one single interview at your own expense. Unless you come from a rich family, that's a high-risk, low-reward venture.

good point.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.