[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: why do I feel so miserable and unhappy? Context: 23yo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_ntveehcrL21rc5ct1o1_500.jpg (115 KB, 500x595) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntveehcrL21rc5ct1o1_500.jpg
115 KB, 500x595
Question: why do I feel so miserable and unhappy?

Context: 23yo male, caucasian.
Doctor. Going to start my PhD next year. College professor. Writing / editor-in-chief of college book to be used as main bibliography of said subject in medical schools throughout the country.
General 23yo hobbies and activities, nothing out of the ordinary.
Sleep well, proper eating, whenever possible (sometimes I can't have lunch, since our lunch hour is during family visits to the patients, and we have to be available)

I feel like I'm doing ok in life. And yet, I've been miserable and unhappy for about a year now. No apparent cause.
Already did some routine tests. Thyroid function is normal. Did a head CT scan, no signs of encephalitis. No apparent organic cause for depression. I do not fill DSM-V's criteria for any mood disorder.

What am I missing? Professionally, I'm okay. Socially, I'm okay. Personally, I'm okay. But I guess that's the problem - is "okay" not enough for me? I can't seem to wrap my mind on this problem.

tl;dr - maybe subclinical depression? food for thought?
>>
>>16999327
You didn't mention any love interests.
>>
>>16999333
Currently none. Last relationship with gf lasted four years, she cheated on me, I discovered it, ended the relationship (February 2015).
>>
Think about the time before you felt this way - when you were happy. What was motivating you? What made you happy?
>>
>>16999339
>feb 2015
>apr 2016

and you say you've been feeling down for about a year, huh? hmm.
>>
>>16999327
Dude you have your whole life ahead of you with such a good start.
Also, being with a girl for that long, you must have loved her dearly, and finding out about the cheating can totally fuck you up.. thoughts?
>>
>This dude complaining about life with a PhD
Come cry again when you work at McDonalds like millions of plebs all over the country.
>>
>>16999426
Thank you for your input. I'm not quite sure. During college, I guess I was motivated to: a) finish it (lol); b) become a teacher (done, still am); c) partake in basic and clinical research (done, still researching, won a prize a few months ago). I had difficult goals to achieve. Since we have nearly 400 students per year (6 years of college, then 7 years of residency), it's hard to stand out. I was motivated to stand out. That may be one of the reasons I want to get a PhD as soon as possible. From this post however, one could assume I was working very hard and overexerting myself. Not at all. I was/am quite, quite lazy, so burnout syndrome (which I had already considered) doesn't seem to match the picture. Hope I've answered your question.
>>16999428
Thank you for your input. That was actually a typo, it was in 2014.
>>16999471
Thank you for your input. It did fuck me up at the time, and for a few weeks of course. But those feelings are long gone, fortunately. >>16999482
Thank you for your input, I guess.
>>
>>16999482
sorry, accidently posted and I hadn't finished the post. I know I have luck unlike many in this world, and one would be fortunate to have it. I, however, am not happy with it. And I believe this isn't normal. Hence his topic.
>>
>>16999494
*this topic; sorry for typo.
>>
>>16999488
You don't sound satisfied, perhaps partaking in something other than academic challenges such as sports, music...? Or find love again
>>
>>16999509
Thank you for your input. I go to the gym regularly (3x / week), plus whenever I have the time (currently, it's mostly at weekends) I like to take 1-2-hour walks in the city. I am a church organist, I play during the sunday mass, and have usually 1 concerto per month (depends on the season. Christmas is hectic, Summer is calm).
>>
>>16999515
Go sky diving or travel
>>
>>16999525
Thank you for your input. Going to Rome for a week in August. Won't have many more opportunities to travel this year though.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.