[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Chrome-666.jpg (57 KB, 792x211) Image search: [Google]
Chrome-666.jpg
57 KB, 792x211
What should I major in /adv/? 20/M, finished HS a while ago but never worked or went to college. Parents are pressuring me to go now, but I have no idea what I want to do.

Interests are limited to anime and vidya. Don't care about money as long as I have a pla e to sleep. Would like a job where you don't have to work 5 days a week, maybe something with long shifts but 2-3 times a week only.

Suggestions? Currently thinking of doing software development as I'm not entirely opposed to coding, but dunno if I'm cut out for it.
>>
>>16986781
>Interests are limited to anime and vidya
lel
>>
>>16986794
Where do you think we are?

That fits most people on this site.
>>
>>16986810
>Where do you think we are?
Google Plus.
>>
>>16986839
shut up Loretta, go back to Instagram you slut
>>
>>16986849
Fuck off Iris, no one wants you here
>>
>>16986781
>but dunno if I'm cut out for it
try it and then figure it out by yourself. nobody's gonna tell you what suits you better.so, basically stop being lazy and start trying new things until you're happy with something
>>
>>16987147
Well I've tried programming before, not as job, just as a hobby. It was ok.
>>
B-bump?
>>
Last bump
>>
>>16986781
Anyone who tells you to just "try something"

Has either never been to school in the past 10 years
- Never tried changing majors.

Once you are in a school they don't really want you moving around.

I tried going from CS to Business in the first week of classes and was told I had to re apply for the following semester. Luckily I buckled the fuck down, and my ad visor got in my classes so I only lost a semester of time. But I know people who fucked around and couldn't transfer because the GPA was to low.

What is most important is what faculty you want to end up in.

Most courses are fairly general for the first year - 2 years so if you want to switch your major halfway providing you stay in the same faculty you should be good.

Jumping faculties is a pain..
>>
Start talking to people, anon. Ask if you can shadow some folks.

>hey, I want to go to college
>not sure what I want to aim for
>may I ask you some questions? Maybe shadow you at work for a day or so?

1. What do you love about your job?
2. What do you struggle with at your job?
3. What led you to your job?

Then let the conversation go from there.

I started off in college declaring a degree in Interior Design--to avoid getting stuck with advisory holds every term. Took an extra year as I transferred colleges and programs to finish with architecture. Didn't like it. Got an MA in literature. Now I teach English and Literature at university as I work on my PhD.

You'll find that people have loads of different paths. It's kind of exciting to be honest.
>>
>>16989153
Oh you may also find you're more interested in a trade. What about plumber, electrician, etc? Friend has a BS in construction/design and works now as a Master plumber and remodeller.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.