[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
calculus exam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 20160401_201348.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160401_201348.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
I have a calculus exam tomorrow I have procrastinated studying for (yes on a saturday) and just wanted to get any advice for last minute cramming. It is all of chapter 2, excluding 2.8.

> how much time per chapter should I commit?

>what's the minimum amount of sleep I should give myself?

> How fucked am I?
>>
My school uses the same book, hm.

How many hours do you have until your exam?
>>
>>16985996
Exam is 9:00 a.m Eastern time. So I basically only have tonight, unless I wake up very early.
>>
Pretty fucked. It's easy material but getting it down the first time around takes time and work. focus the most on learning up to related rates. I doubt you'll have the time to really learn how to solve related rate problems well enough to do you any good on the test if you really have no idea what's going on going into your studying
>>
>>16985994
Hi Raquel.

Contrary to popular perception, math is a skill like cooking, not a memorisable knowledge like history.

The best way to become competent at math, especially calc and linear algebra, is to do your homework often and on time, and attend tutorials.

Leaving it to the last minute is a poor strategy as you will benefit very little from cram style studying.

Your situation is not very favourable. I suggest you find as many practise questions and mock papers as you can and complete them as best you're able, only referring to your material when you can't see the solution.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>16986006
2.1 - 2.5 is looking pretty straightforward so far. Memorize the formulas and apply. Like you said, the last two seem like they need decent practice hours. I'll work my way up to them, and maybe just completely neglect them if they take too much time of practice.
>>
>>16986011
Thanks for the response. I actually did pay attention in class, but the teachers method doesn't involve any homework. Thanks for the advice though, I'll cram practice problems as much as possible.... that doesn't really answer my questions of recommended sleep/chapter concentration though.
>>
>>16986003

So 12 hours. Thanks for directly answering my question to cut out all misconceptions (could be eastern australia time, etc), Marguerite.
Basically I would do the reviews in the book, referring back to the material only when I had no fucking clue what to do. I'd then make note of the concepts I sucked at, and practice those, including getting problems of the Internet and such since there probably aren't enough in the book.

I have no idea how well you do on different amounts of sleep/how bad your calc game is.
I would suggest eating something substantial about an hour before your exam. Not just in a "breakfast is most important" way, in a "helps your biological clock know it's game time" way.
>>
>>16986023
That is all pretty decent advice, Carole. Not many people have understanding of the mind of a chronic procrastinator, and It may seem simple to judge, but know these behaviors are not embraced by their owners. Now the time of salvaging my remaining time draws in...
>>
Oh and I forgot, use Lamar math for extra understanding!!! Great website
>>
>>16986064
Have a tab going on that right now, many thanks!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.