[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Social Anxiety
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Tomoko.jpg (18 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Tomoko.jpg
18 KB, 640x360
What can I do if at times my social anxiety is almost as bad as Tomoko's?
>>
See a therapist?

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/how-to-find-therapist

This may help, as well: http://www.adaa.org/tips-manage-anxiety-and-stress
>>
The simple answer is find the root of your anxiety and resolve it. The hard part is resolving it.
>>
>>16981631
I heard that some social anxiety therapy can be uncomfortable in the sense of making you talk with a group of people. I don't know if I could do this.
>>
>>16981625
Sit at home all day and never come out? That's what I do and it eliminates all social anxiety.
>>
>>16981637
It's not all like that. They'll try something else first if you tell them you don't think you can do that shit.
>>
>>16981894
Notably, they actually want you to show up to therapy, so they aren't going to have you do shit you don't think you can handle.
>>
>>16981625
Eat a Xanax like a normal person.
>>
>>16981625

get over it. you are not a tumblrina, and the world doesnt care if you have anxiety. the more you use anxiety as an excuse, the further you retreat into it. when you say you cant, dont or wont do something because of your anxiety, you are saying 'its okay to be this way' while still asking for a magical solution to it.

either go out and talk or dont.
>>
>>16981625
You've just got to push yourself little by little. For example, when you go out to grab food. Just try saying hello and looking the cashier in the eye when you pay. I know that sounds silly, but just small things like that: a little small talk and especially looking people in the eyes, is such a confidence booster for people with anxiety. Just start off super slow and eventually you'll build up to greater interactions with people.

Also, if your anxiety is so bad that you experience panic attacks/loss of appetite/etc, definitely speak to a dr about it. You don't want to make yourself physically sick over this. Good luck
>>
>>16981920
Not OP but I do sometimes have enough willpower to overcome my social anxiety, however talking to a stranger always ends up being a shitty experience. My legs start shaking uncontrollably and I stutter, and it feels like my heart sinks into my stomach. And then I feel sick even a long time after talking to someone. This doesn't make it particularly enticing to go out and talk again.
>>
>>16981932

the implication here is that you DO want ot be social. if you do, go talk. it takes a lot of fucking practice to get out of this hole, but it happens.

its like art. some people are naturally shitty artists. i have taken classes for years and am still the shittiest artist ever. but i have improved at the very least, and if i want to draw i have to keep practicing, no matter how painfully shittmy drawings are.
>>
>>16981937
>the implication here is that you DO want ot be social

I don't know if I really do. Even with people I feel comfortable talking to, it feels like a chore to socialize and I don't get much out of it other than quench my loneliness for another week.

I need to find some motivation to keep practicing I guess.
>>
>>16981953
How does it quench your loneliness, exactly? Mine's always intensified after I see people hanging out together.
>>
>>16981953

>quench my loneliness

so yes, you do want to talk to them.
>>
>>16981959
Dunno, if I have a long conversation with someone one day, I feel exhausted and then just don't feel like interacting with anyone for like a week.

>>16981961
If I could get rid of loneliness some other way, I wouldn't want to.. for the most part. But yeah, it wouldn't be a bad thing to get rid of this stupid social anxiety.
>>
>>16981917
This :)

There is no other way. Have you ever heard of someone who got rid of their anxiety PERMANENTLY with "therapy"? It always comes back because the "root" of the anxiety isn't some psychological event, it's a biological problem from suboptimal development. Something like a sensitive nervous system due to bad posture and breathing, which simply cannot be physically fixed without invasive surgery, only marginally improved, because the skeleton is deformed. This deformed skeleton, the literal frame of your being, is what triggers the catastrophic butterfly effect on your endocrine system and general health.
>>
>>16981976
Doesn't sound to me like you're quenching your loneliness, only avoiding it because "talking to people is exhaustive". I get exhausted just by having a casual conversation, but am still lonely afterwards.
>>
>>16982052
Maybe. I fill in most of my time with watching anime and playing vidya so maybe I just don't have time to feel loneliness. I do feel lonely sometimes when laying in bed at night trying to fall asleep.
>>
>>16981625
I feel you OP. I need to stop avoiding my problems and get shit together before I become a burden.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.