[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm 18 and left Middle School and became a NEET, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 0073 - O0v4tCD.png (125 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
0073 - O0v4tCD.png
125 KB, 650x650
So I'm 18 and left Middle School and became a NEET, but I have a job part time now flipping burgers and I want to move on in life and get a GED.

Problem is I have a horrible math disability. Discalcula is what they call it. I can't barely keep track of shit in my head when I'm carrying, much less remember multiplication facts.

Shit, right now - I don't know how to convert a decimal to a fraction, even though I just learned this last week.

No idea what the fuck to do about this.

I imagine the other parts of the GED being as easy as fuck, but the math is what scares me. I desperately want to move on to higher education.

Please give me advice so my future is not pic related.
>>
I am currently living the NEET dream rn. I can't do math for shit either but I cheated my way through it in highschool. You either HAVE to find a way to learn it, find an excellent tutor. I still have to count on my fingers, where is the shotgun. You can do it m8. I believe in you. Papa bless.
>>
>>16969306
>I sitll have to count on my fingers
Same
>>
>>16969358
Calculators were invented for a reason, so we don't have to do math. Leave that shit the the chinks pls. Don't worry guys, casually racism only. Gotta hate em all equally.
>>
>>16969262
>left Middle School and became a NEET
Your parents never should have allowed this to happen.
>>
>>16969262
I was shit at math, also a dropout.

I met with a tutor for about 6-8 sessions.

He had masters in CS, and PhD in mathematics. I told him I couldn't even do basic operations with fractions.

He had a unique style that I thought was brilliant.

>made me say aloud everything I was thinking as I attempted the problem
>wouldn't let me write ANYTHING down

After the first few sessions I was doing quadratic equations in my head, not even lying. Sometimes, he would get excited and deviate from the lesson and talk about theoretical shit. He would read from the "Princeton Companion to Mathematics".

I had Fs all throughout school... when I went to take my evaluation for GED classes... the instructors pulled me out of class... they said "GED prep is a waste of time. Sign up for the test so you can start college this semester."

I did, and passed GED battery with all honors... my highest score being my weakest subject: math.

When I did my entrance exam, my advisor insisted that I start with Calculus II.

The highest level of math I had ever completed was 8th grade, and it wasn't even prealgebra... it was tard math.
>>
>>16969403
Sounds incredible.
Not sure how it's even possible for that to work, but I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>16969380
Dyscalcula is to maths as dyslexia is to wrinting. Someone with dyscalcula can't use a calculator any more than someone who can't read or write can type out a word document.
>>
>>16969416
Oh boy, I have both of those. Plus left handed. All the recessive genes are MIIIiiiinnee.
>>
>>16969416
I use a calculator just fine though. Maybe my dyscalcula isn't that severe?
>>
>>16969358
Holy shit, I thought I was alone.
>>
>>16969411
It was, and it was also incredibly expensive. I would drive from raleigh to chapel hill and back, during rush hour, twice a week and pay him $72/hour for 2 hour sessions.

I worked at schlotzkies delie making minimum wage and spent every last dime I had on his tutoring and ended up having to move back in with mom and dad.

I regret that I couldn't find a way to continue the sessions with it being so expensive, but it was probably the best thing I ever spent money on.
>>
>>16969262
A GED just tests up through 8th grade math and hardly touches beginning algebra. I never passed my freshman year in high school but I was in the 90th+ national percentiles in my ged scores. You got this.
>>
i sure ain't no math teacher but your post is begging me to explain this. to convert a decimal into a fraction, write the number after the decimal point on the top of the fraction, and on the bottom, write 1 followed by a number of zeroes that is the same as the number of digits after the decimal point. because each place to the right of the decimal point gets smaller, which you show by putting it over a higher number. to show that .075 is smaller than .75, you have to put 75 over 1000 instead of 100.
>>
>>16969436
Jesus.
Can you go into detail on what exactly he said to you?
>>
>>16969926
bump
>>
OP lucky for you the GED is about 8th grade level
you should do fine.
>>
>>16970223
I dropped out of eigth grade though.
>>
Good luck and godspeed anon <3
>>
Maths is a skill. Only way to learn a skill is hours of repitition. There are maths websites that teach you better than any in person teacher could. Use on foran hour daily. It gets easier with time. So stop making excuses and start practicing.
>>
>>16969436
>>16969926
This sounds incredible.
I always through tutoring was a waste of time but this shit sounds like it can only be taught person to person.
>>
if you do an adult grad online there's literally a website with all the curriculum in it, and you can just copy it. Costs a monthly fee tho, kinda forgot the name of it look into it as long as you get like 80 percent you can bomb the exam and still pass. Either that or get some to help you with it or pay someone.With that burger flipin money. 19m currently doing my adult grad online dropped out mid high school cuz of major depression and anxiety trying to start my life up rn just like you. My adult grad program is completely free as long as your not already graduated or upgrading to. I'm a Canada fag in BC so im doing it through fvdes. and if your still 18 you could also maybe get back in an actual high school i did it early this year but due to my anxiety i fucked it up and started doing it online instead.
>>
>>16969262
Look...

If you want to move your mind, just move your body. It's gonna cost you nothing.

If you want to move someone. You move your body.

It's not hard. Just move your body.
>>
OP if you're in the Vegas area I can tutor you.

Anyways, math is a skill you need to practice everyday to get down. I suggest you figure out how you learn and go from there. There is also Khan Academy online that is pretty decent for learning all kinds of stuff. They go through all the steps and explain what you need to do and why.
>>
>>16969262
>So I'm 18 and left Middle School

R U black?
>>
>>16971491
no.
>>
>>16969262
I have a similar problem. Although I can do calculus, I can't count objects as fast and as accurately as the workers at my former work place (~5 seconds to count 100 items). I kept losing track of the amount I've counted.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.