[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it reasonable to expect a guy who's obsessed with video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 620x388
Is it reasonable to expect a guy who's obsessed with video games to a fault to be a decent boyfriend if we dated?

Don't get me wrong, he's sweet and smart and he makes me laugh. But all he does is game and read lore. He legitimately has no other significant interests.

He writes his in game name on tests in class. He constantly yells in gamer lingo. It's at least half of what he talks about. Honestly it's pretty cringy, but I still like him.

I have a bunch of hobbies and a lot of them are outdoorsy. I'd like some company sometimes. I just want to know if that type of guy is likely the be like "lol sorry babe I'm busy" all the time when he's just sitting in his room in his underwear playing League or if it could maybe work.
>>
Game name on tests in class is dump worthy. Nothing else seems unusual.
>>
>>16958990
Haha he was proud of that one. Wouldn't stop telling people about it.

Really? I know a lot of guys are super into vidya, but he's the only one I know of that has no other hobbies at all. He used to, but he dropped them to game more.
>>
>>16958969
>He writes his in game name on tests in class
>He constantly yells in gamer lingo

That is cringy as fuck and this is coming from someone who probably plays a little too much vidya. Maybe try to get him into other hobbies or activities, if you care about him that much. Maybe you can find common ground somewhere.
>>
>>16959005
What would your ideal guy be in to?
>>
>>16959013
Yeah, it's..a bit hard to watch. He seems to think people laughing at him=he's the funny guy. Which isn't completely off I guess, but it's at his expense. He's really charismatic so he sort of makes it work.

I was hoping I could do that, but I'm not sure if he's too far gone.

The worst part is that the only game he plays is League of Legends
>>
>>16959024
Anything goes as long as the personality's good, but I prefer somewhere in between a carbon copy of me and no common ground
>>
It'll only become a problem if he's selfish about it.
Invite him out to go hiking or play sports with you or whatever else you're interested in.
If he keeps turning you down, don't waste your time with him. He needs to care about your interests as much as you care about his if you were going to make a relationship with him work.
>>
>>16959029
>League of Legends
Dump his ass
>>
>>16958969

it depends what you expect of him, but why not test the waters? there is no shame in dating him for a few months to see if it works. if it doesnt, break up. you arent obligated to see someone to marriage just because you gave htem a shot.

would you play video games with him regularly if he went out with you regularly?

also, are you gonna expect him to change these cringe things?
>>
>>16959042
Ahh yeah
I guess I was mostly asking if there was a way to sort of gauge how open to that he'd be before I made a move or anything? But probably not

>>16959048
..was kinda hoping having a girlfriend might make him cut back a lot but that's probably overly optimistic at best

And oh I have, we dated for a few weeks a when we were kids lol. Dumped him over text because I didn't know any better, poor guy.
>>
>>16959049
Yeah that's true.

Hahah no, I hate League. Maybe some other game though.

Nah as long as he doesn't when we're alone I really can't say I care
>>
>>16959068

then try it, see what happens etc
>>
>>16959086
Yikes time to figure out how to do that I guess
>>
He like videogames because as human we connects with things either material, people or experiences that forfills a deep desire that cant be filled atm elsewhere will that hole that everyone has deep down in the pit of their souls.

I don't think he'd be really into you to be honest and he just sounds like a normal boy chasing this fancies, a girl coming into his world unless he has an actual desires to meet this other is just a distraction.
>>
>>16959223
also he's going to have to want to share that world and you have to learn to accept him and his world if you actually want him and him Vise versa.
>>
>>16959058
I mean, you can gauge his interest by song him if he'd like to go do those things.

The real question is whether his teachers even call him ZionSpartan, though...

As a guy who plays a lot of league, I can tell you that you will HAVE to determine how league fits into your relationship. It's not impossible to work in, but things as simple as "Why don't you just pause/quit the game and come back later?" will always be answered with "I have to finish this game first." Always. That means that while you'll have to respect the small commitment he's made to that particular match, HE will have to respect that he needs to choose when he plays more deliberately so that it doesn't disrupt you or the time you intend to spend together. If he isn't mature enough to make that decision wisely and consistently, it will be rough on both of you.

All that said, unless you're dating him for his ELO, he better scale it back for you or he's probably not worth dating. He sounds too cringe desu, but we can't give much good advice on that one, unfortunately, outside be careful and use your critical thinking skills to make good decisions.
>>
>>16959269
He did explain to the teacher what it was a bunch of times because he was hoping they'd pick it up or something, but alas, she ignored him lol.

I'd be fine with "let me finish this match" or whatever, it's "I'm busy today bc vidya" that'd get me.
Like every once in awhile is okay, but I was just with someone who'd say that if they had a couple chores to do that day at home or they had homework to do or something. Almost every time. It's why I had to break up with them and we were together a long time. After a year of that, I'm a little touchy there.
>>
>>16959223
>>16959232

If this is true, then the fact that LoL fills some deep passion hole that nothing else can is pretty sad haha.

Yeah, you might be right. He did date someone for awhile last year though.
>>
I was really into vidya in high school, at least during colder months when i have no ambition or desire to leave my house.
It almost ruined my relationship, and looking back at it, i really should have acted differently about it.

>I have a bunch of hobbies and a lot of them are outdoorsy. I'd like some company sometimes
Tell him that and be direct about it. See how he reacts to it
>>
>>16958969
I used to be like this in high school, you need to understand its a phase and it will pass, it may take a few years but if you like him great, I still game but I have other hobbies now, and also, you mentioned you were outdoorsy, why not show him your interests? I'm sure if he likes you back and he's a decent guy he'll appreciate the things you like too, but it works both ways, you're going to have to talk to him about video games otherwise he'll stop putting in the effort of your interests
>>
>>16959874
I mean it's not an uncommon thing, it's just that he's worse than anyone else I've ever known about it

We don't really talk as of now so walking up to him and being like "hey bud I have outdoorsy hobbies" seems weird, but I guess I'll work on that

Not sure how though
>>
>>16959879
>We don't really talk as of now so walking up to him and being like "hey bud I have outdoorsy hobbies" seems weird
Well, not really. You could always be like "hey anon i'm going for a hike tomorow, wanna join me?"
Its a perfectly normal thing to ask, especially comming from a girl
>>
>>16959877
Yeah I understand. He's been like this for like..4-ish years now? So I'm kinda hoping it's near an expiration point. But it'd be like him to hole up in his dorm at college and just game, so I dunno.

Really I think half the reason that's all he does is that it's the only thing he does with his friends and he doesn't really have anyone to do other stuff with. I'd have to see though.
>>
>>16959884
From a girl who's your first ex that you've been awkwardly skirting around barely making eye contact with for years?
>>
My fiance is sort of boring and has no real hobbies outside of video games. He says it's because he didn't have the opportunities to form new hobbies growing up, and that seems true based on facts about his home life.

Still, it can be totally boring when the 6 hours we have together each day are spent ignoring me. I like to play games too, but I tend to save serious sessions for the weekend/when I'm off but he's not around.

Anyway, I'm outdoorsy/crafty. When he plays games I play games or do crafts. Crafts are especially nice, because if it's not a game that he needs to voice chat with, we can talk. Sort of. Also, making it a strict "when anon plays games on weekdays I gotta craft" has made me more productive.

He accompanies me on camping/hiking/float trips because I ask. I made a big show of taking him to the store and helping him choose gear and buying it for him. He doesn't love getting rained on, or that damp tent-morning feeling, or a lot of the uncomfortable but fun stuff I like...but he sure does love gear.
>>
>>16959893
Sure, why not? If you were on good terms at any point of your lives, least you could do is casually ask him whats up, maybe in a social gathering or something.
>>
>>16959897
Hey sounds like you have a good system going. I love the tent in the morning and all those feels too aha.

I figure a good way to get a guy out there if I had a bf would to be like "Hey anon, wanna go camping tonight, I know a good place and I've got a 2 person tent ;)"

Really having a camping buddy would be fun. My dog's nice and all, but he doesn't talk.

>>16959904
I'm pretty sure he has no social life at all, I really only ever see him in class. But I might try something anyway, nothing to lose.
>>
>>16959897
>but he sure does love gear
We all do. Buying gear is really fun, kinda like buying clothes for you i guess

>>16959923
Now i want a camping buddy. I rarely go camping, and its usually festivals, but when i do i have a blast. Camping with your gf/bf somewhere, having beer next to a camp fire and just chilling sounds like a great time
>>
>>16959933

>say I'm the outdoorsy one
>like clothes for you

jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>16959934
Not sure what you are saying. I'm saying the excitement of buying gear as a guy could be compared to the feeling of finding a nice pair of pants or a shirt as a girl. At least according to my ex
>>
>>16959933
That's the dream.

>>16959934
>>16959943
..you don't have to equate buying gear to clothes because she's the outdoorsy one and likes buying the gear
>>
>>16959943

I'm saying I'm the one who got him into outdoors stuff. I know what it's like to get excited about gear. I didn't need it reframed for my clothes-obsessed female mind.

The point of including it in my original post was more like "he doesn't really enjoy a lot of things about camping but he loves getting and using new gear so much that he lets me drag him around" not "boys and their toys, amirite?"
>>
>>16959956
> I didn't need it reframed for my clothes-obsessed female mind
Sorry if it sounded like that, not at all what i was implying
>>
>>16959960

I'm not massively offended or anything. Thought it was funny, and also that you should know that's what it sounded like, for future reference.
>>
>>16959969
>that's what it sounded like, for future reference
Sure. English is not my native language so things like theese happen
>>
>>16959976

Your English is actually great :)
>>
>>16958969
Not exactly.

This really depends on the type of person he is. More often than not, I see too many guys using videogames as a form of escapism, which sounds harmless in theory but in reality it tends to rift relationships. Seeing how this is the only "hobby" the guy has, I'd exercise caution, but the heart wants what it wants I guess.

On the contrary, I have a friend who's only interested in videogames (does similar that your love interest has) but manages to set aside a reasonable amount of time to spend with his girlfriend. He's actually on the verge of breaking up for several other reasons, but if your SO is willing to put the effort (past the first few weeks of course), then things won't turn out to be so bad.

Have you ever thought about getting a girlfriend instead?
>>
>>16958969

>He writes his in game name on tests in class

league of legend players confirm for the worst fan base.
>>
>>16960029
That's a good point actually. It seems like he might be the type to put in the effort for a few weeks then start neglecting for gaming, but I guess I'd have to see.

My last relationship was with a girl actually haha, we broke up like a month ago. Lasted almost a year and was close friends growing up before then. I actually prefer girls to some extent I think, but they scare the shit out of me right now because I loved my ex more than anything and trusted her with my life and she mindfucked me pretty badly, so I'm trying my hand at guys again.
>>
>>16960042
Honestly. If it was any other game, maybe I could get into it with him. But no.
>>
>>16959887
That's literally it I only played games all the time because that's what my friends did, show him something new.
>>
>>16960085
I'd love to if he's willing.
>>
>>16958969
>He writes his in game name on tests in class. He constantly yells in gamer lingo. It's at least half of what he talks about. Honestly it's pretty cringy

There's nothing wrong with "Gamers" in general, but this guy sounds like an autistic manchild. Get away until he's done growing up.
>>
how the fuck can a guy like that get a girl but i cant? jesus christ i must be so ugly
>>
>>16960105
So the notion that I could be one of the things that helps him stop being so cringe is misguided?
>>
>>16960110
He's pretty ugly honestly.
Just find a girl with shit taste like me. :p
>>
>>16960115
yeah where?
>>
>>16958969
As long as you like him and don't get bored it should be fine, specially if he's willing to try your hobbies and you his from time to tim-

>He writes his in game name on tests in class.

Nevermid, stay away.
>>
>>16958969

Sounds like he's underage and you are too.

But who knows what will happen in the upcoming years, he may mature and wisen up, or he may crash and burn.
>>
>>16960110
You're probably just a faggot
>>
You´ll get bored/annoyed beyond your sanity in a while. No interests means no other topics of conversation, leading to having nothing to do when together...

Not worth the stress of figuring out how to break up
>>
Okey, Not Him here, Ill explain how it's gonna go since I can view stuff from his view point.
Right now, im pretty much that guy. I work full time, I study at the univeristy, and Im a gamer ( i play league just like him haha). on top of that I do have a gf, and even tho we dont live together and dont spend 24/7 together, we're cool. we spend time together, have sex, do activities, and that's it.. she understands that I have activities beside her, that I gotta work study and ofc play games. and she's okey with it without being needy.

On the other hand, my ex, couldnt deal with me playing games. she was fine with me studying (i wasnt working at that point). and even tho we spent more time together than I do with my current gf. she would still bitch about me gaming, after 2 months she started bitching I made it clear that either she'd deal with it or we could split up. and she asked me that i'd either play less games or we'd break up too. so i told her we could break up then, and even tho she cried, we did break up.

so it's about you as well and not just him, just try to help him socialize if he values you, he'll be a fine boyfriend, if he doesnt than you might as well break up ;b
IM sure no one can advice you properly here, its all about personalities, so give it a try, if it doesnt work split up ;b
>>
>>16960121
Wherever hole I crawled out of.

>>16960176
Yeah out of everything he's done that's probably the worst lmao

>>16960379
He's 17, but I turned 18 last year.

>>16960387
We used to have really good friend chemistry and he's the kind of person that never runs out of things to talk about so that's not a huge issue

>>16960419
Thanks, I think I might try that if I can figure out the logistics. I dunno if he'd even be down to date me or anything.
>>
>>16960949
*whatever
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.