[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Telling someone they smell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1377458155626.jpg (104 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1377458155626.jpg
104 KB, 500x375
/adv/, I have my medfag final exams in six weeks. These include scenarios... Virtually all clinical based, involving patients, investigations etc. But there's one situation that's come up before that asks you to break it to a colleague that they smell bad (people have been talking about it on the ward)

Yes, what the fuck, and all that... But how would one actually go about doing this in a professional manner, that doesn't offend? None of my peers have come up with truly good answers. You can start the conversation as you like and act like you know them well etc

Some of my suggestions:
>Are you living in the hospital accommodation at the moment? The water stopped running last week - absolute nightmare. I've had to shower in the surgical changing rooms (hope they pick up an issue from there)
>I've been quite tired lately... Waking up last minute, eating breakfast on the way to work, and even replacing showering with extra deodorant (hope they pick up an issue from there)
>>
>>16957511
Also happy to answer medical questions in return for answers/bumps

I may not know, but I'll know where to look
>>
Be direct. "Hey, I mean no offense or anything but you kinda smell."

Don't drop lame hints like a bitch.
>>
>>16957537
In real life, absolutely

But the actors act like a bitch. They want you to play the game. If I said that they'd react by blowing up in my face and shouting or something (again, unlikely to happen in real life)

It's all about 'communication' skills... I can't just walk in, say that, expect he appreciates it and sit down staring at the floor for the next 10mins until the next station
>>
>>16957550
What the fuck are you even talking about?

Just do it. You're not going to die from a few awkward minutes after you've told someone something important. Kind of a dick move not telling him he smells desu
>>
>>16957537
But aaaaactully, following from that... How about

"Hey man, in the same way I'd hope you'd tell me if I was walking around with snot all over my nose and I didn't realise, I'd just like to be direct with you... A few people have just commented on how you smell over the last couple of days. Do you think anything has changed lately? Hot water gone? Don't have time to shower in the morning?"

>>16957555
You don't understand. I need to play the game and tick the fucking boxes
>>
>>16957550
Then just talk about how important hygiene is in relation to whatever it is they're in for desu.
"It's important to stay clean in a hospital like this; never know what you'll pick up from bumping into somebody." etc.
>>
>>16957555
You do understand this is an exam, and not real life, right?
>>
>>16957550
Oh I see what you mean. For my clinicals we did the acting part for each other. Exam takers were the actors.

I still don't care about your awkward moments. Tell them. It's the right thing to do.
>>
>hi, anon. I'm concerned--have you been feeling well of late?
>I'm great, anon!
>that's incredibly interesting, anon, as I feel like I've been smelling ketones of late when around you--which I why I've asked how you feel.
>wtf, anon?
>sometimes our bodies give off odours based on foods we've eaten or as a sign of illness. Maybe you've been eating too much garlic, anon! Chuckle chuckle
>>
>>16957574
Haha I've often thought of a situation where someone would pay me a mill just to completely troll the entire circuit of scenarios

>central, crushing chest pain?? You're going to need a digital rectal examination, Sir
>>
>>16957585
>I can assure you my dick is far more sensitive than my finger in assessing the prostate
>>
>>16957511
Anon don't listen to the spergs telling you to be direct, you'll just end up having a very awkard moment.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.