[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need life advice. >18 >from a sub 100,000 town in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1412636505577.jpg (18 KB, 545x380) Image search: [Google]
1412636505577.jpg
18 KB, 545x380
I need life advice.
>18
>from a sub 100,000 town in the pacific northwest
>town is literally old people and young families with toddlers
>tried to go to college but couldn't stick with it for even a week before having an anxiety attack (about the money, failure, loneliness, etc) and dropping out
>got a job when i got back home
>washing dishes, felt like walking into traffic every day, realized i can't do that shit for a month let alone years or my entire life
>basically, too stupid/unfocused to go to college, too stubborn/unwilling for minwage bitchwork

Ignoring all of that:
My dream is to move to New York City and live with three or four other guys. We'd help each other out, whether it be finding jobs, improving ourselves, whatever. Basically, we'd have each others' backs and be friends. I don't know how fantastical this is or if it's even possible unless you already knew each other from childhood.
At this point I'm sick of crawling back home and spending every night laying in the same bed, only talking to my mom and dad the entire day.
I need to take a chance. I don't have any relatives anywhere, I'm entirely on my own here.

TL;DR:
Does anyone know of an online community where I could 'meet' and organize a group of people to all move in and live together in a big city, not as just roommates, but as true friends?
>>
I started typing something out, but then...

Lol. I just can't. Lo fucking l.
>>
>>16951812
>Does anyone know of an online community where I could 'meet' and organize a group of people to all move in and live together in a big city, not as just roommates, but as true friends?

Craigslist.
>>
Rethink.
>>
>>16951812
Hey I'm that guy that made like 8 million statuses asking how to move to a big city

It's not possible
>>
>>16951847
But if I had to make a recommendation id bring a couple hundred dollars and sleep on the train while you beg for jobs and meet people and hopefully the experience breaks you out of your shitty shell. Please do what I couldn't
>>
why NYC, why not just move to Seattle?
>>
ok, new yorker here, I'm gonna try

first things first, moving away from your home to a new city at 18 without any marketable skills and without knowing anyone and no safety net is a very difficult task, its far from impossible obviously since people before you have done it, but many who attempt it fail and wind up on the street or worse, so fair warning.

Second NYC has about the highest cost of living of anywhere in the country, expect to be paying near $1k a month in rent for an apartment with roommates in a shit neighborhood, atleast there's very little crime though so living in a shit neighborhood just sucks because of poor living standards, its not really dangerous.

Have you ever lived with a roommate before? Your image of people who are basically a second family is nice but extremely rare and almost nonexistant when there's no history between people. Most roommates generally just want to be left alone.

The biggest red flag for me though is that you said you have difficulty doing minimum wage scut work, because what exactly were you planning on doing once you got here? Its hard but not impossible to find work here but as an 18 year old with no experience and no education what are you really expecting other than washing dishes?
>>
>>16951812
>18
>tried to go to college
Go to community college, better than what you're doing.
>move to New York City
>live with three or four other guys
This is fantasy, I promise you. Please consider moving to a big city but not a massive one. Consider the Midwest or the South, but please dont go to New York right away.

Additionally, you will need education. No one wants to room with a dishwasher. Your roommates will leave you the second they make more money. You'll be 35 and on craigslist looking for roommates while washing dishes.

PLEASE consider just an easy business degree, even if from community college.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.