[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how did you get your first internship in your field of study?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
So how did you get your first internship in your field of study?
>I've apply to so many in 3 years and ain't got shit.
I don't have any real world experience with my major, and I actually want to work in the industry and be more than a basic ass math teacher.
>I've work low wage jobs for years but employers ain't buying it.
Any advice on how to land an internship, or maybe a how you got your first?
>>
>>16925963
Whats your major?

I just applied and interviewed like everyone else.
>>
>>16925969
Math major, computer science minor. comp sci is more of a hobby but I'm good at it so why not.

Yo, I've applied to so many online and just get an email saying, sorry you didn't get it.
>>
>>16925975
yo this is a bit off topic but knowing how you're a math major...how do I understand and become better at math?

I struggle with algebra but I need to prepare myself for calculus...is this possible?
>>
>>16926072
As hard as it is to actually do, the way I got really good at math was practice. You know how those teachers give "optional" homework? I started doing some of them and it really improved my overall math skills.
Calculus is known as the do or die for math, so practice is really important.
>>
>>16925975
Your resume is probably shit. There should be some resume help services at your university who can go over it and improve the thing. Places like Microsoft, Google and Amazon are all easy places to get internship interviews.
>>
>>16926106
I've been thinking this too, but I've had a few different resumes.
I really don't know what to put on a resume tbqh senpai. It's not like I'm the next Euler and proved like 50 theorems before I was 16. I'm smart but I'm regular smart.
>>
>>16926142
Learn to write a cover letter that has a paragraph that details specifically why you meet all the keywords in their job post. It should also outline your education and completed projects. Your resume should be a laundry list of languages you know, including C, C++, Java. Put down your GPA if it's over 3.0. Previous work. References available upon request.
>>
>>16926157
iight, so what would you say is a completed project? While I was at a career fair I got hit with that question and completely blanked out. My only coding stuff I've done is either school related, or random mathematical algorithms I'm dicking around with nothing groundbreaking.
>>
>>16926188
School projects are fine. By your third year you should have built a search engine, written a crappy AI, completed a game, implemented a paper, that sort of thing.
>>
>>16926199
>>16926188
ascending dubs, I like that.

Fuck man, if I could just put school stuff on my resume I could overflow it with bs.
Time to work on it in the lab.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.