[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop drinking without going to Alcoholics Anonymous?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: 1455030333340.jpg (87 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1455030333340.jpg
87 KB, 500x484
How do I stop drinking without going to Alcoholics Anonymous?
>>
V A P O R W A V E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=SrrlxKE9kbk
>>
Stop buying alcohol.
>>
>>16924467
Thanks, I'm cured.
>>
>>16924470
Is alcohol making you get up and walk out the door and swipe your credit card? No, it's not. Take some responsibility. Stop buying alcohol.
>>
Just fucking go to AA you drunkard. It's fucking free, gives you an outlet to talk about your problems, has people that you can relate to helping you and holding you responsible for your sobriety
>>
>>16924517
I work 10 hours a day, only Sunday is free. AA requires multiple meetings a week.
>>
>>16924550
no it doesnt.... you can just go once a week

if you want to be sober you will be
>>
>>16924550
Work your ten hours, use the time you would have spent drinking to go to aa, then sleep. You got yourself into this mess, stop making excuses.
>>
I quit alcohol by becoming a long-distance trucker.

You can't even have alcohol near a truck without getting arrested these days.

Now, instead of being a confident partygoer and socialite I am a nervous wreck driving an 80,000lb death plow.

I miss alcohol...
>>
>>16924557
>>16924574

OK, let's say I could go once a week. What's that gonna do? I get to make friends that "understand" me? I already have those, doesn't make a difference. I get some dude aka sponsor that's instructed to "care" about me? I can't imagine the mental gymnastics I'd have to perform to consider that worthwhile motivation to give up drinking.
>>
>>16924586
>i keep making excuses
>i really don't want to quit
>i have no self control
This is what you sound like.
>>
>>16924586
Well then fuck off and keep going down the road you're headed. If you can't even bother going to a free support group designed to help you with the biggest problem in your life, something you obviously can't kick on your own, then you're just not gonna get sober. You are fucked, you're in deep trouble.
>>
>>16924612
Yes, Sherlock, being an alcoholic implies that I have no self control and don't *really* want to quit. What I'm doing here is a last ditch effort to find out viable ways to fix my problem. I could've just continued to drink and said "fuck it", yet I made this thread. I seriously think AA is not worthwhile, it's designed to be a cult and doesn't have much backing. Plus I have time constraints with my job ( inb4 >you're just using excuses) yeah, let me give up my hard-earned source of survival so I can maybe get to survive in a better way, oh wait...
>>
>>16924651
So basically you can, but you aren't sure you would help yourself.
Is this correct?
>>
>>16925498
Yes exactly
>>
Ibogaine
>>
>>16924651
Let me throw some generic crap at you then make a pick
> get a hobby that doesn't involve drinkig
> do sports
> waste that cash on something else
> do the AA just once
>>
>>16925519
can I order online?

>>16925521
OK. Where you an alcohol?
>>
>>16925501
Well just ask yourself:
Do you?
You'll have to think hard about it for a while since it isn't but it is a yes or no awnser.
And that bottle doesn't have the awnser either so it's a tough call.
If you figure it out feel free to come back here but i think there is not much for us to help you with now.
It's up to you from this point
>>
>>16924651

>it's designed to be a cult

Yes. That's exactly why it fucking works.
>>
Lol AA only has about a 4% success rate. You wanna quit, you fuckin quit. Simple as that. Throw away what you have, don't buy more and exercise some self control.
>>
File: 1447896935276.jpg (118 KB, 498x750) Image search: [Google]
1447896935276.jpg
118 KB, 498x750
You don't, my friend. You just drink till your liver fails.
>>
>>16925534
Probably. Do you research you lazy drunk
>>
File: 1455029659169.jpg (140 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455029659169.jpg
140 KB, 1920x1080
>>16925544
What the guy below you says. So no, AA doesn't fucking work. Thanks for playing.
>>
File: 1450593850400.jpg (23 KB, 292x261) Image search: [Google]
1450593850400.jpg
23 KB, 292x261
>>16925552
I resent that
>>
>>16924429
Alcoholics Anonymous isn't actually that good (google it) but it's probably better than nothing. If you can afford/find it, try something that's been shown to work better. There are even medications that keep more people permanently sober than AA does (you don't take them forever, just until you stop drinking).
>>
>>16925568
How long does is this AA shit supposed to take?
>>
>>16924586
Nigga just get drunk shit
>>
OP, alcoholic here who also thinks AA is bullshit. So many people on here will pretty much say it's the only answer, but I bet in most cases, they're not alcoholics themselves, so they just assume they know better. It can be helpful for some people, but for people like me who don't have a religious bone in their body, or that haven't hit "rock bottom," it's not so successful.

I'm super functional when drinking. I haven't been arrested, I haven't hurt anyone. I haven't risked relationships with people because I can't control my emotions, I just like getting tanked because it makes things more fun. That's why it's hard for me to swallow the pill that it's this "evil" thing no matter what I do, and that I have no control over it.

But, I haven't drank for the past two months. This isn't a permanent arrangement, but it's at least zero tolerance on drinking for a while. The trick is to really steel yourself, and exercise willpower. There is NOTHING that can make you walk down to the store and spend your money. Keep the booze away from you. Shop with someone, if you have to, even if you're not admitting you're an alcoholic to them, just so they won't see you load your cart with booze.

When you want booze? Just don't get it. Stop yourself. After a few days/weeks, the cravings slowly disappear.

The other option is to go to a doctor and explain the issue. That you've gone to AA (even if this is a lie) and that you think you need medication to stop the desire to drink until you can kick it.

Good luck, anon.
>>
File: Leo_McGarry.jpg (16 KB, 298x378) Image search: [Google]
Leo_McGarry.jpg
16 KB, 298x378
>>16924651
>being an alcoholic implies that I have no self control and don't *really* want to quit.
Being an alcoholic means you're physically unable to limit yourself when given the chance to drink. The distinction here is important because alcoholism doesn't go away just because you want to stop drinking or when you stop completely. It's a lifelong condition.
>>
>>16925753

>Trust me, OP. I'm an alcoholic even though alcohol doesn't control or damage my life. haha god bless
>>
>>16925561
You should resent it.
>>
>>16925805

Alcohol does control my life in a very strong way, and I have drank 10+ beers a day for the past 12 years, with only a few gaps in that time. And that's on an "easy" day. On a weekend or holiday if I'm down, it's more like 18 beers and a few shots. My grandfather was an alcoholic and died of cirrhosis of the liver, and my father is an alcoholic too.

I have a very high tolerance and the ability to think through the fog, which means I don't put myself in shitty situations. It does not mean any less that this shit isn't killing me slowly.
>>
File: 1434940538795.jpg (330 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
1434940538795.jpg
330 KB, 800x680
I recommend reading this book Anon, the author has been where you are. Give it a good thirty pages or so, hear her story. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Madly-Chasing-Peace-Happy-Minutes-ebook/dp/B009RVBC9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458198242&sr=1-1&keywords=madly+chasing+peace
>>
>>16924578
Does your liver miss alcohol?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.