[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just built a computer, nothing too complicated, and now whenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 572x623) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 572x623
I just built a computer, nothing too complicated, and now whenever I press the power button lights come on and all the fans turn on, but then it all goes off. It only stays on for about a half a second, what could be causing this? I only have one stick of memmory, could that be causing it?
>>
>>16919098
Sounds like a motherboard issue. Does it beep at all?

If it doesn't than it sounds like your mobo is DOA. If it does than that beep corresponds to what has failed in the system.
>>
>>16919098
Could also be that your power supply is bad or too weak.
>>
>>16919119
I don't know, the fans come on and lights come one, which seems that power is being drawn. Assuming OP doesn't have a beefy graphics card and shit PSU, it should at least try to POST before it shuts off.

But that's a good point, does your mobo POST at all? (There should be four LEDs on the board that light up in a sequence)
>>
Like I said, all the fans turn on the mother board works, or at leas for a moment. The power supply is 500w which seems like it's enough but it's possible it need a little more
>>
>>16919140
I've only said that because the second PC I built had the exact same issue with the case lights and fans coming on, keyboard lights coming on, but no response from anything else. Replaced the mobo as DOA, still didn't work. Then the CPU, same deal. Took it to a tech shop, they replaced the power supply, and it was fine.
>>
I haven't seen any lights on the board at all, like not with them off either
>>
>>16919143
It doesn't mean the mobo works.

I had an MSI board that did the same thing (turn on with fans and lights then shut off), it was dead because all the other parts worked fine in the replacement mobo

>>16919145
Could be the case, though its hard to tell with no specs given
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
That's all the boxes of the stuff inside, and the case is a Rosewill Chalanger-S
>>
>>16919162
Calculated with PC part picker, it says those parts draw about 200W so assuming your ram and case fans aren't drawing 200w you should be okay.

Though the other anon may be correct, do you have another PSU you could test?

Otherwise the mobo might be dead, MSI boards come DOA sometimes, but if they run they usually last a real long time. It's weird.
>>
I'll try out a different power supply, thanks for the help all
>>
>>16919098
>I only have one stick of memory
Kek. This was my problem when I built my desktop and theres literally nothing anywhere that tells you how to fix the problem.
The catch is that you need to put your stick of ram in the other memory slot.
Literally took me forever to figure that out.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.