[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to avoid bad phrasing (and misunderstandings)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 13546121715045538326.jpg (41 KB, 450x609) Image search: [Google]
13546121715045538326.jpg
41 KB, 450x609
> Tired after lecture
> Meet female friend who is visibly ill
> She says that she doesn't feel well
> Mean to say: Yes, you don't look like you don't feel well, you should go home, make yourself a tea and take a rest
> But accidentally say: Yeah, you really look fucked up (...you should really go home, make yourself a tea and go to bed)
> Before I can finish my sentence she storms off pissed at me
> Instantly realise mistake and I run after her and want to apologise
> Doesn't listen
> Other female friend who witnessed everything tells me not to worry (she might be on her period or something)
> Hear from other friend a week later that she is still doesn't want to hang out with me and we currently don't get along.

These kind of misinterpretable phrases sometimes happen to me. I understand that people may get insulted (especially girls).
It just happens and i don't know why.

I have tried thinking thoroughly before every sentence I speak, but that becomes very very tedious over time. I mostly end up overthinking it and just not saying anything.

>How to avoid such phrases and making people angry.
>Why can some people get away with saying such things as a gag and not get bad reactions?
> also how to avoid casual swearing?
>>
Take the Obama method of communication. Get into the habit of talking slower, and with any/every pause you take, think hard about the next few words you want to say out loud.

This way, your concept is tailored and your swearing is minimalized
>>
>>16916333
Dont forget to the press your thumb on you pointing finger and wag it as youre making your key statement.
>>
I do not think you should even bother m8. I used to police my words very heavily, but its so much more fun just to let it flight. I stopped caring about "offending" people because who the fuck actually cares? They shouldn't unless it was solely to harm, i guess.
>>
She seems really easily offended; I can't make female friends mad at all, try as I might. Maybe some space would help.
>>
>>16915957

I think it depends on your delivery.

I say shit like that all the time, but you have to gauge how good your relationship is with them. girls are a little more sensitive. treat them half as bad as you would treat your guy friends.
>>
>>16915957
You just need experience. I work retail and have a great intuition for this kind of thing. Both of my parents are in sales. I still fuck up and say the wrong thing occasionally. In your situation, the way I would have saved it is the second I saw her reaction I would have done;

>Yeah, you really look fucked up.
>*disgruntled chick*
>I hate that, it sucks, man one time I was coughing phlem for 3 months. Hey, get well soon. I'll email you my notes so you don't get behind, I know you would do the same for me.

And even when I don't come up with the right thing immediately I make up for it later. I don't apologize, I just compliment and coddle them (do a favor or be their shoulder) more than usual when I see them again. A few compliments helps a person forget faster than an apology.
>>
>>16916333
Thanks. It is not that I am not able to talk in a structured or formal manner. I do it a lot with people with people who are older and hold higher positions/people I may need (profs, parents, etc.). In these cases everything is premeditated.

It is in more casual environments where this tends to happen. I just say something I shouldn't have said/done in retrospect and i hurt people/make them angry.

>>16916411
Well always saying what I think in the way I do seems has put me in trouble more than once.
Makes me the guy who can talk with professors for hours, but gets really 'sweary' and says weird/insulting stuff when in a casual environment.

>>16916552
Yeah, there are people like that. I never understood that, some guys can get away with everything and girls may even find it charming.

>>16916592
That 'delivery'-concept is something I understand (ie. smoothness) but I never got a grasp on how to control or change that. Edgy and smooth at the same time.

I have known this girl for 6 month now and she always seemed more of the 'chiller' girl with nose piercing, smoking weed, etc. Not somebody I would expect to get irritated so quickly. Plus she knows that I am somewhat impulsive in my word choice sometimes, but still seemingly got insulted.

Should I confront her? Or let it simmer in the background?

>>16916599
I really went after her and 'hugged' her from behind and said that i didn't mean it that way and that I was sorry. She just said
>get off and stormed away

Couldn't have saved it nicely as she stormed off before I had even finished my initial sentence.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.