[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problem with work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
I have made a contract with my current employer lasting until certain date. However I got offered another place, higher salary, different location abroad and generally a great opportunity. I'm not sure if I'm perfectly qualified for the job though, but however they wanna hire me. This would look good in my CV, whereas my current job isn't even related with my major.

My current boss and I have become pretty close. (I mean in a friendly way, I'm a female too.) She needs me and by leaving I'd leave her in trouble and give a bad impression.

So basically I'm asking, whether I should take the offered position leaving my boss in trouble? It would be good for me career and pay me more, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough...
>>
Well this is an interesting situation. When are you required to provide an answer by/do you think your could provide your old boss with sufficient notice and support?
>>
>>16914551
I could tell her a month beforehand, but still I'd be breaking the deal we had.
>>
Do not feel loyalty to an employer, ever. No matter what, they can kick you to the curb without warning.
>>
>>16914529
Three issues here: legal, moral and practical.

Practical: You might be able to avoid the other quandries if you could get the new employer to put off the potential start date until you're through here (or close to then) and maybe get your current boss to let you out a little early.

Legal: You have a contract with this boss. If she wanted to be mean, she could sue you for breaking it, or withhold your pay, or generally make it bad for you.

Moral: You signed a contract. Even if you could get out of it without financial loss, you would be doing the wrong thing, harming someone (your current boss) who committed to you in good faith. And it is altogether possible that the new employers, knowing that you screwed your old boss, might not trust you much when you're with them.

I'd suggest thanking the new people very much, offering the explanation that you feel you need more experience before taking on the responsibility they offer, and keeping in touch with them so they know when you will be available. Meanwhile, do the best job possible here, learn as much as you can, and make yourself ready for a future opportunity.
>>
Can the new place postpone the start date until your contact is up?
>>
>>16914529
I'm in a similar situation except for the pay (job not associated with my degree, limited contract made in good faith, high pay vs job using my degree, permanent full time and not as high pay). I decided to stick with my current boss. He's given me an opportunity when most didn't and now he's depending on me. There'll be more opportunities out there for me but will there be for you OP?
>>
>>16914571
What kind of deal? Is it legally binding?
>>
>>16914529
Negotiate. Hey boss sorry about this but this place offers me this and it's in my education scope. I know we have a contract and all but what can you offer me because the other job is something I'm seriously considering
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.