[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to get a dent in the back of my car fixed. I accidently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_2811.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2811.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I need to get a dent in the back of my car fixed. I accidently fucking backed up into another car in while I was at walmart. The other car was fine, but my car has a large dent maybe the size of a melon. I can't afford fixing it myself because I'm a piece of shit who doesn't have a job. How much do car fixes like this even cost? I absolutely can't let my parents see this dent because it has happened before. I wonder if I could sell some shit on ebay or something. But right now I'm just looking for some DIY repair shit. I bought a dent plunger from walmart and it.. just won't sit on the dent like its supposed to... Any help would be appreciated.

it's like pic related, but no scratches or anything.
>>
>>16913313
Prius?

Fag.

Anyhow, you gotta get behind that thing and pop it out. It's plastic, not a dent in the traditional sense. I don't know jack about that bumper, but most cars you can get them off or at least loosen one side enough to get behind it. Then you just push or hammer it out. It won't look normal, and there may be funky creasing around it, but it will look better from a distance. Sooner the better though, cause the longer the plastic sits like that, the harder it will be to get it pushed out to it's original shape.
>>
>>16913335
>it's like pic related
I don't own a fucking prius, anon-kun..

Tell me about bumpers though. I can get behind the bumper, but my arms aren't long enough to reach it...
>>
>>16913335
This. You'll have to pull the whole bumper cover, there is a steel brace inside attached to the frame horns that will have a piece of dense foam over it. These will be in your way, so easier to pull the cover off. Prbably some phillip's heads in the wheelwell and a ten mm hidden near the back of the headlight somewhere. Phillip's heads, 10 mm's and plastic pushpins will probably greet you along the bottom of the cover and around the grill under the hood along the core support. Just pull hardware until you can pull the cover away from the car enough to get to it. You may not have to remove the whole cover. And I don't know your make/model/year but this setup is becoming industry standard. Unless Benz or something.
>>
If it's just the bumper it might come out on its own if you leave it in the sun or a hot garage
>>
Youtube:

Fixing A Car Dent With Just Hot Water and Hands
>>
>>16913407
I have a feeling it's just the bumper, I just knocked my hand on it and it didn't really feel like metal at all..
>>
>>16913414
Ahh, i've seen millions of videos on I really feel like I'm too beta to actually push out the dent.. I have to try to get someone with big muscle-ly arms or someshit.
>>
>>16913404
I feel so dumb, I hardly know any of these terms.
Maybe if I wear a lowcut shirt in a mechanics shop they'll help me out..
do you know how much people charge for this sort of shit?
>>
>>16913430
Just don't walk in there and say that. You'll get robbed. And don't go to a body shop, they'll try to sell you paint, alignment, frame check etc... Just go to a normal shop and say "can one of your techs pull my bumper cover and just pop out a dent?" Just say that. If they say no, I'd be surprised. They'll probably just charge straight labor unless they are shady. Probably 85/hr in my area. Shouldn't take much more than an hour or 2.
>>
>>16913456
And to be fair, it's just a cover. Purely aesthetic. If you're that broke just drive it. It won't effect driveability or anything. Fuck it.
>>
>>16913404
chances are there is no reason to do any of that. I mean that's what a shop might do, but its not necessary if you aren't a shop with insurance and lawyers on them all the time.

there's almost never anything in the corners.

OP, at least look under the bumper and see if you can reach the dent. you may as well try. you don't really have anything to lose.

I'll say this, if you use heat, and you use too much you can damage the paint. hot water wont do it unless its seriously hot but if you use a hairdryer or heat gun you can run that risk.

also if the paint has pulled away from the bumper as a result of the collision you might have problems. but if that is the case thats just how its gonna be no matter who does it.

you have nothing to lose by trying before taking it in to someone who's gonna charge more than the job is worth.

>>16913430
>I feel so dumb, I hardly know any of these terms.
he's being overly complicated.
>>
>>16913456
Alright. I'll check it out. Thank you.
>>
>>16913483
>he's being overly complicated.
>step by step instructions
>overly complicated
U wot.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.