[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I live in Tennessee and am gonna go to one of the Technical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1457584932439.jpg (25 KB, 500x458) Image search: [Google]
1457584932439.jpg
25 KB, 500x458
Hey guys, I live in Tennessee and am gonna go to one of the Technical College of Applied Technology's near me to sign up for a trade to start in the fall. It is between 2 or 3 things I think. I was thinking about either Welding, Electrician, Hvac, or Automotive Technology. As of right now I have really no skills in either of them, but I like the thought of being an electrician because I think the wiring could be really fun and I do want to make good money and have a secure job. What does /adv/ think would be best for me? Thanks so much!
>>
Welder here. I learned from an old timer as a teenager, never went to school and landed a pretty decent job that paid for me to get my certs (the ones necessary for my particular job). I can bring 1300, 1400 a week depending on where I'm working. The only catch is; I have to travel all over the east coast, climb 300-400 feet to actually do my job and pretty much have no life or relationships outside of the guys on my crew. And they tend to be annoying redneck types. I'd say you really don't have to go to school to become a welder, but it sure won't hurt.
>>
>>16908287
http://www.abctennessee.com/education-training/apprenticeship-training/

Here is this, but i dont think they pay for your schooling even though they say it is an apprenticeship program. Or something they teach you.
>>
Have you thought of being a lineman?

The guys in my company (large utility provider) are paid very well once they reach journeyman status and I'm pretty sure they're permanent employees. I know they get benefits.

There's a reason they do get paid a lot though. You could go to work one day 2 miles from your house and never come back.

Also watch out for certain kinds of union work, especially stuff like construction. They can pay well on the upswing but as soon as there's a downturn they can have trouble finding work without losing union status.
>>
>>16908451
>You could go to work one day 2 miles from your house and never come back.
What???
>>16908451
Well if they cant find me work, i dont have to pay them dues do i?
>>
Applied technology sounds fucking retarded. Literally scam tier retarded. Be weary, OP.
>>
>>16908628
Lineman work on power lines dude. Just think about it for like 2 seconds why they would want to pay someone a lot to do it. Why do you think a bunch of oil rig workers have a good living? It's because they can get fucking killed.

If the dues thing is like my union job int he past then it's just a per-paycheck thing but idk.
>>
>>16908645
thanks. I decided I want to do either electrician or hvac. I live by nashville and idk anyone in this fricken state, i dont know what to pick or what id be good at. I just am so lost and donno what to do
>>
>>16909213
don't go to school. do an apprenticeship. you get paid decent and usually have benefits including free classes. takes about 4 years to be journeyman but no college debt.
>>
>>16909225
Apprenticeships ive looked at make you sign a contract for like 5 years youll promise to work for them and pay them dues, if you decide to quit youll owe them like 5,000 dollars. It all seems to be a huge scam.
>>
>>16909414
>>16909225
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvATvNbsm4

This is what i'm tlaking about
>>
>>16909425
bump
>>
Uhhh idk. There seems to be a need for CNC Machinists these days. Thats what i do. Pays the bills nicely
>>
>>16909890
Just factory work? :/
>>
File: 1456865883064.gif (2 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1456865883064.gif
2 KB, 300x300
> be me
> 25, living with parents still
> loser
> spent entire year attempting to start a small biz
> fail
> tension rising at home
> parents are government moochers
> consider killing myself

> by chance I go to local city college just for the fugg of it
> meet HVAC instructors promoting their program in front of school
> they seem cool, decide to take the course
>become government moocher myself, survive off financial aid for 1 year
> finish program
> apply at 10 different companies

> only 6 months in and I just got my first raise to 26$ hr
> have enough to move out
> looking at studio apartments next week

Hvac is a good trade and it offers a shitload of different career paths. Im currently in the commercial refrigeration side and I find it enjoyable. Not to mention the $$ is pretty fuckin decent, I know guys who make over 100k in this trade (in the bay area tho)

Also job security is pretty damn high, and the industry is expected to be very short handed in the next 5-10 years. Get in now, finish your training, pay attention and become a skillful tech...then you will have companies falling over themselves to hire you.
>>
>>16911000
Not that anon but machinists are NOT factory workers. I'm the welder from the first reply and one of my first jobs was repairing loaders/unloaders and building carts for bar stock at a machine shop. Those guys are as skilled trade as any of the jobs you mentioned in OP.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.