[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books on self improvement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1445704619613.jpg (8 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
1445704619613.jpg
8 KB, 200x201
Aight, I'm looking for books describing general behaviour.

I'm talking about something that might help me improve social interactions, like talking to complete strangers, not sperging out when talking in class etc..

I realise that the google has tons of material and I will look into it, but right now I'm asking if any of you have read anything that wasn't complete trash.
>>
>>16907431
What do you mean by sperging out in class?
>>
>>16907445
speaking in public I guess, or just interacting with other students.
>>
The downside to reading books for this stuff is that you start to act like a character in a book, whether fictional or supposedly realistic. The written word isn't enough for that. It's flat. You can't capture nuance and the details of context in textual descriptions. It's even hard to convey sufficient detail because details change from one circumstance to the next. I could tell you to use humor in uncomfortable situations, but which sort of humor is appropriate? Which situations call for humor and which are better served by silence? Rules of thumb only go so far.

Perhaps there are books out there on finding role models. That's probably the best approach anyway. In general it's good to take cues from the people around you and/or people you look up to. Act like others. I'm not saying you should literally become someone else. Just learn from the way they act.
>>
>>16907457
Yeah, not looking for role models. Just tips I can live by.

I've got no problem with humor and I know what is appropriate. But I find it's hard thinking something on the spot - and it makes me look kinda stupid being quiet trying to think something up.
>>
>>16907459
So you're not looking for the most effective way to succeed socially and you didn't understand that the reference to humor was just an example of a point.

I think your problem is that you're genuinely stupid.
>>
How to win friends and influence people.

Go read it
>>
>>16907466
Jesus, and I thought I was bad with sperging out.

>>16907472
thanks.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.