[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tl;dr What's a good job that requires minimal years of study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1398011872394.jpg (401 KB, 543x500) Image search: [Google]
1398011872394.jpg
401 KB, 543x500
tl;dr What's a good job that requires minimal years of study and has potential growth in the future salary wise?

I guess if you're interested in reading my blog, i'm a 22 year old NEET who's been living with his parents and I am now in a situation where if I dont get my shit straight, study and get a job im gonna be thrown out on my ass. I barely have any interests in anything that is actually worth studying, and anything that is ends up being pretty expensive and I have no money. I just need something that will allow me to start making a living, I can grow in, and I can at least sustain a middle class lifestyle in the future.
>>
>>16819407
Good things take time. You can't just do the shortest course available and expect to be making 6 figures within 3 years.
>>
Programming/Web Dev. Good luck teaching yourself on your own though. Not because it's hard, but because it requires extreme perseverance.
>>
>>16819410
I don't want to make 6 figures in 3 years though, I just eant something that I can grow in, will be feasible in the future and i dont have to study a lot for because I dont have the money to spend 6 years in school
>>
>>16819414
What are widely used programming languages that I should pick up?
>>
>>16819427
Learn Python or Ruby, and JavaScript.
After you've learned those very well. Make some basic projects, then learn Flask or Rails, and React respectively. Then learn about PostgreSQL and MongoDB.

That'll get you in to the widest number of web dev shops with decent salaries (decent being like (60k+)

As for other programming paths, like systems, games, hardware, and software. Those are a lot harder to get into and usually require some type of specialized education unless you start your own business.
>>
>>16819427
Learn Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML, CSS, SQL and you will be off to a good start. People who self teach in this industry do make it.
>>
>>16819427
Oh, I forgot about HTML and CSS. Learn those after or during when you're learning the programming languages.
>>
>>16819414
>implying it's hard

I shouldn't be that condescending, but I hated school and decided that I'd teach myself all that stuff. I do not get why people need school for something unless they are not genuinely interested in the topic, and then they just shouldn't learn it in the first place.

Or am I THAT wrong here?
>>
>>16819435
>>16819440
>>16819441
I've messed around with C++ and Lua so I have a basic understand of what it means to program, I'll take your advice into account. Thank you.
>>
>>16819445
You're welcome. LUA is awesome and similar to Python, so you'll have a good start there.

Remember, the only way to improve is to make things!
>>
>>16819452
>LUA
>Python
>awesome

Buaahahahaha.
Python and Lua are the bane of my existence. Every little faggot thinks that he can "program" just because he can smear some ugly lines of Lua together. And some of the worst automated systems are written in Python (Portage, for instance), and if something does not work right, it happens that the entire system does not work anymore.

Python and Lua - NEVER again!
>>
>>16819443
Have you ever taken an online course, or sat at home in front of your computer and churned out 6 hours of good, solid work for a client? If you've done either of those, you'll know what I'm talking about. My main point is you have to be able to persevere when you're not "enjoying" it at the moment. Because then you'll be able to reap the rewards and start enjoying it further down the road.
>>
>>16819480
Enjoying it as in enjoying the actual programming or the money
>>
>>16819480
>Have you ever taken an online course

Lots. At some point languages are kinda the same. The concepts might be different ones.

>or sat at home in front of your computer and churned out 6 hours of good, solid work for a client?

Daily basis.

And I still don't get your point.

C/C++/Python/Perl/Assembler/SQL/HTML/CSS anon here, by the way.
>>
>>16819472
OP, this sort of thing will be a regular occurrence as you learn programming. If you meet a programmer who isn't opinionated about /something/, it means they're a bad programmer.

The most important thing when learning programming is to pick a language and stick to it. The wise programmers will know it's okay for a beginner to be doing something suboptimally because they're learning. The unwise ones will not and will tell you you're doing it wrong and you should be using so and so IDE and so and so language, which can be quite discouraging if you don't ignore it.

Also,
>>16819472
Have you ever heard of something called exception handling? Whatever code you have as an example of python code must have been poorly written if it doesn't have decent exception handling.

>>16819486
Bit of both. When you begin learning it'll be the programming. When you begin working for someone it'll probably be the money, after you'e been working for a while it'll probably return to the programming, but at that point it's okay because you have enough experience to get hired at a lucrative job doing exactly what you want to do.

>>16819489
My main point is I've spoken to a lot of people who claim to want to teach themselves programming, who then realize that it's actual work, and that learning from home is actually more difficult than learning in a classroom setting.
>>
you could always do a trade/certification program if you're not afraid of doing manual labor.
>>
>>16819508
Not OP, but a few questions;

Say you've mastered a few kanguages and you're ready to put yourself out there and do work, what is an example of a place where one finds work with this knowledge?

Also, do you think programming has a future even 20 years doen the line? I've heard that they're making programs that can write easy scripts which essentially make freelance work more trivial it seems. I don't know much about this field but i'm pretty interested as well
>>
>>16819407
I believe there is a position becoming available in 2017 for inexperienced candidates, all training provided with transport and accommodation allowances.

There are several applications already received but none seem particularly skilled or suitable. So you might in luck if you can spin a good tale about how you can benefit everybody but creating something from nothing.
>>
>>16819508
>Have you ever heard of something called exception handling?

Yes, and it's a fucking mess, considering that you have to implement things as stack unwinding and complex objects with constructors. Oh, and it takes AGES to compile languages with such a broken system. C compiles in a fly. Firefox compiles in a fucking hour and is a hell of broken, badly-kept code.
(Although I am going to admit that the compile time most probably is not ONLY due to exception handing - but also because of template construction fuckery).

I prefer the good old return code error handling. It's simple, it's effective, and if I don't feel like handling it in this function, I just return the error to the caller.

How that can be called "poorly" is beyond my imagination.
>>
>>16819516
If you're going that route, look into being an electrician. They make bank, especially after they get their master's license and can open their own business.

>>16819525
Though I get your point, unless you've actually read through the language's source and understand it's inner workings, and know what every feature in the language is and can use it with minimal Googling, Mastered is a bit of a strong word. Anyway, it depends on the field(s) your language is applicable to.

C stuff, esoteric languages, and concurrent languages will be systems, hardware, and games.

Python, Ruby, PHP, .Net, and Java will be web stuff.

Not too sure about non web stuff, but say you're really good at a few languages.
Build a portfolio of projects you've done in your free time. Only include your best work.
Start applying for junior positions at different companies. Helps if you live in a metropolis or tech hub.

Just take almost any position you can get using the main languages you want. From there you can get a foot into the industry and you'll have a better idea of what you want for your next job in 1-3 years.

Actually programming is one of the few fields that will have a future 20 years or more out. Everything else is being automated (because of programmers). Yes, even programming is becoming easier. One person today can do what it took 10 people to do 10 years ago. But there is currently a massive need for programmers as the whole world transitions to software based life and the IoT.

Programming is a unique field in that it's really difficult to tell if a programmer is good, and even if you know they're good it's unknowable whether they'll actually be a productive worker. The programming field is actually super saturated with shitty programmers and in dire, DIRE, need of actual competent programmers. From doing hiring myself and speaking to buddies who have done hiring, Something like 90% of the applicants we get are utter incompetent crocks.
>>
>>16819570
>Continued
If you have a portfolio of 3 small to medium sized projects you've worked on, and the code is commented and well formatted; if you can code fizzbuzz in pseudocode on a whiteboard; if you can make eye contact and understand how to explain something to a non-technical person in a manner that doesn't melt their brain, then you are way way way ahead of the game and will get a job easily.
>>
>>16819535
Hey, all the power to you. Personally I couldn't imagine writing C or C++ more than as a hobby. I prefer to use programming as a tool to achieve my goals quickly and iterate on them. Speed is almost inconsequential to me as long as the code is readable, I can launch and debug easily, and the end user has a decent user experience.

As they say, premature optimization is the root of all evil.
>>
>>16819570
>>16819585
Very interesting, thank you for the detailed response
>>
>>16819604
>Personally I couldn't imagine writing C or C++ more than as a hobby.

I gotta admit, writing "raw" C is really tedious. When I first began learning C, I didn't understand lots of the underlying things, but I wanted to have the same functionality as in, say, Perl. Thus I started to create my own library in which functions that I use throughout various projects are stored. This way, code that I constantly need is in a central location, and if I have to fix one function it affects all projects that I have been working on so far.

And then, over time, I realized how broken some things are. In C++ more in C. General rule of thump: the more complex the language is, the more shit it tries to hide. And the more shit is hidden, the harder it will hit the fan when the cover burst open.

Also, you learn an INSANE amount of things.

>As they say, premature optimization is the root of all evil.

Yeah, and that's retarded. :)
As I say: You better start worrying about scalability when you still have time.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.