[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MOS and college major.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: m00t.jpg (2 MB, 3241x2592) Image search: [Google]
m00t.jpg
2 MB, 3241x2592
I'm about to enlist in the Marines (Reserves) and plan to ship out in May. My ASVAB qualifies me for any MOS, and my recruiter says I can be guaranteed a specific MOS if its open to reservist (Not counting on this, because he may be wrong)

What MOS prepares you the most for any sort of Bachelor's degree? My first instinct is go into Communications and then go on to major in computer science. I don't know anything specific 06XX fields however.
>>
>marines
>PEACETIME marines
>as a pog no less
why not join the navy or airforce? They both have much more job variety and better opportunities.
>>
>>16770439
>PEACETIME
Want to know how I know you're not in the military?
>>
>>16770439
I love the culture that surrounds the Corps. I don't see that camaraderie in navy or air force. I see it a little in the army but I want to be a Marine.
>>
>>16770408
Marine Officer here. If you want the best MOS for making money as a civilian. Navy Nuclear Tech is very good. Air Traffic controllers are pretty awesome. Usually, anything aviation side is pretty useful, but navy nuke tech is by far the best.
>>
I'm in MOS school right now going for reserves as a 2821. 06XX are the ones that go out into the field with the large radios on their back. The school is like 2-3 months long and there is a lot of physical training because they usually get put with infantry units. I remember asking my recruiter for a data communications jo and I got this one, which, if you didn't know, 28XX is electrical equipment repair. So I'd consider something in the data field with computers; I think that'd be intelligence tho 02XX. I believe there is a mos list that teaches about the mos's

mosmanual.com i believe
>>
>>16770473
I knew a guy who was a nuke tech aboard a sub and while you are probably right, he said it was the most godawful boring thing he'd ever done. All he did all day was watch 'dials and doodads' and sleep in a bed someone else had just got up from. Something to consider.
>>
>>16770675
yea, not saying it would be the most comfortable. Where I was from, I lived by a nuclear power plant, and those guys made 100k easy. Of course, you got to pay your dues.
>>
>>16770473

Lol... what is your mos? I was a 5942, marched to class with the atc guys during tech school and worked with them every day in the fleet. ATC jobs are few and far in between. If you look it up then you'll find that many require many years of experience.

I say go for anything in electronics maintenance. The 5900 field is money all day long.

>>16770499

Gotta love 29 palms. I remember seeing the 06 classes get treated like they were still in boot camp during their entire school - the instructors would wake them up to stand in formation at 4 am until colors just to fuck with people.
>>
>>16770692
I'm a flight student right now. 7599
>>
>>16770735

Is that in Pensacola?
>>
>>16770740
yep, exactly.
>>
>>16770749

How is it going?

I had a chance to do that via mccep but decided against it after having an issue with a section. One shitty command will really sour your entire experience.

I was actually thinking about being a reserve officer recently, I miss the uniform. I think I would go to plc rather than ocs though, haven't really done too much research on it.
>>
>>16770755
Flying is great. It's all the other shit we have to do, that makes it sorta shitty. Just Admin shit. I went PLC. The other program is called OCC, that is for people who already graduated. PLC/OCC sends you to OCS/quantico for 2-6 week sessions or 1 10 week. Honestly, it's boot camp, but probably a little easier. No IT, and it is more candidate run. It starts off as a typical shit show, then once everything is finished around week 8, everything calms down.

From what I heard from other priors, It is tougher physically, but easier mentally. Only problem was getting essays. They would give you essays for any infraction, and you would use your sleep time to write them, so it was common to sleep 2 hours a night.
>>
>>16770769

So weird how they changed the enlisted courses to "school" and apparently ocs is now occ. Fucking marine corps.

I never make mistakes so IT was the last thing on my mind. If anything I'd be worried about running since my knees are shitty now, I've heard that you go on death runs pretty often in plc.

The sleeping thing would probably suck too. I enrage when I don't sleep. I was augmented to a laad during phantom fury and I didn't sleep for like fifty hours during the initial push; by the end of it I was hallucinating, lucky I didn't get killed since I was told that I just walked around in circles in the open a couple times.
>>
>>16770790
Yea, we went on death runs all the time. After OCS, we have to go to TBS. All officers have to do a infantry school lite, pretty much for 6 months. Basically, same shit no sleep, expected to operate at peak efficiency. Death runs full gear. My platoon commander was a rabbit, and he would just have us PT in full battle rattle all the time. It fucken sucked. Coming out of OCS. I was a 18-1830 runner for the PFT. At the end of TBS, my time dropped to 2200. I was so fucked from all the PT.
>>
I love reading military threads. I can never understand a damn thing you guys are talking about, but it sure is fun the way you say it.

Seriously, I swear you just make half the jargon up on the spot.
>>
>>16770801

I was doing like 19:50 by the end of boot camp, around 21:00 by the time I got out. I've never been a runner so plc doesn't sound like too much fun.

I spoke with an officer recruiter last week who is lobbying unit commanders for me, said she would have something for me by Monday. I figure I'll play war for one weekend a month until retirement; 5942 school was 13 months so I did five years already.

I have no idea where they would put me since in MACS units the maintenance officers are CWOs. It would be hilarious if I got sent to ATC school... their school house was across the road from radar school and they were so timid.

I wonder how it feels to be a 2nd or 1st lt and have less time in service and be more scared than the pimple-faced lcpl saluting you.
>>
>>16770839
You should do it, man. I think the pay is worth it, and if you are prior. You get bad more. I think prior enlisted made 4500 base as a 0-1, when normally, and 0-1 makes 3000. This guy from my platoon is a infantry officer. I heard his platoon told him to go fuck himself, after he gave some shitty order. Not sure, how factual that is, but he was a piece of shit in training, everyone hated that guy.

I just became a 1stLt, and honestly, Pilots, we don't really lead. We just fly. I think I have about 100 hours already. For me, the wing is the place to be. Ground side is alright, but my personality fits in with the aviation side.
>>
>>16770855

Most of the pilots I knew were bro tier. It is not like you're a line officer so you can just do your job and not worry about all the normal fuck-fuck games and general Marine Corps bullshit.

I loved being airwing too. Everyone has a complex mission critical job so our sncos and officers purposely make sure it is a low stress environment; we still pt and field day of course but there was never any stupid game playing like I hear some of my friends who were ground guys reminisce about.

Things just got bad for me when I went back to 29 Palms to teach at the airschools - had a bad confrontation with my boss because he punched his wife in the face and she came staggering up to my door in the middle of the night begging for help. I was like wtf privately at work the next day and he yelled and we physically fought.

She filed a report with pmo, I made a witness statement, still nothing happened to him. I saw him on facebook a couple months ago and he is still in and a fucking CWO4 now. He fucked up my pro cons and fit reps for the rest of my enlistment, I barely made it to sergeant purely by TIS before getting out. The guy was a real psychopath, I hate that he apparently never got was what coming to him. The whole thing really pissed me off and I was glad to go.
>>
>>16770883
O it's political as fuck. Senior officer/senior enlisted are untouchable. At TBS, a junior officer kept getting sexually harassed by a major. She reported it, and boom, she was out of the USMC from some stupid shit, not 3 months later. I like the marine corps, but sometimes she does her best to make you hate her.
>>
>>16770892

Yeah, life in general can be shitty sometimes. I'm just glad that she had the sense to leave him so he couldn't just fucking kill her the next time he was having a tantrum.

Take care, man. Maybe I'll see you in the fleet.
>>
Dude I'm in the Air Force and they literally have a community college on top of paying for your school, and then your gi Bill. Also I just went through MEPS where they do the medical testing and hung out with a few marine and army kids. You don't get to choose your MOS. I got to choose ten jobs I liked , then they picked.
>>
>>16770919

>You don't get to choose your MOS.

This is a lie perpetrated by recruiters and retards who don't understand the process. Try to not spread it.
>>
>>16770935
Quite the opposite recruiters tell you that you can.
>>
>>16770935
>>16770944
Disregard me turns out reserves does get to choose a job code.
>>
>>16770944

It is pretty common for recruiters to tell kids that in other branches you can't choose your job.

Check out the enlistment thread on /k/. Kids regularly talk about how they are choosing the Navy or Air Force because they heard that you can't choose your mos in the Army and Marine Corps.
>>
>>16770950

Active does also, bruv. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>16770444
>want to know how I know you're not in the military?

Want to know how I know you're a boot?
>>
>>16770958

He is nothing. He posts in every thread pretending to be a med student, military officer, firefighter...

It is sad as fuck. People just need to stop responding to him.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.