[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone to talk to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: 4006488-wilson.jpg (250 KB, 1992x1454) Image search: [Google]
4006488-wilson.jpg
250 KB, 1992x1454
Dealing with severe clinical depression leaves me at a disadvantage when it comes to staying positive. When I feel down, it's never just a bummed out feeling, it's always this dark, Lonely, lost place I end up in, with no one there to talk to about it.
My friends all have kids, husbands, their own problems and stress that they talk to me about, and I do my best to help them with always, and I feel like a burden when I try to talk to anyone when I myself am down. They don't understand that I can't just snap out of the funk.
Whenever I get like this, I always end up here, wishing I knew how to talk to someone, just one single person that gets it, and is happy to just talk all the time, about likes and loves and life, or even when it's just being frank about how shitty depression is.

It's like....I wish I had a living diary. Someone I can tell anything, and they'll still be there the next day. I don't have that, and idk how to have that, and I feel like I've missed my chance or something.

Why is it so hard these days to make a friend that Wants to be a pillar in your life as much as you are in theirs?
>>
I guess they are in the same mental shithole as you.
I never felt depressed in my life, cuz i believe that even death is not such a bad thing, so life's "problems" are as big as you make them.
Dunno maybe some people are just made to be forever sad...bummer i guess.
>>
File: 1452540849702.jpg (359 KB, 972x972) Image search: [Google]
1452540849702.jpg
359 KB, 972x972
>>16677589
Fuck it. I'll talk to you if you need someone right now, got nothing better to do (besides lectures but idc really). I may be a bit late between replies (up to an hour, depending on if I get a chance to use my phone in class) but I'll still be here as long as the thread is.

So, what's on your mind?
>>
>>16677605
See that's the problem with depression. You can explain it to someone who doesn't feel it. I'm a ridiculously positive person, and I don't ever do things out of spite. I always do my best to be fair, and kind, and loving. Even when I'm down, I try to stay cheerful, even if I have to fake it.
It just helps, to have someone there.
>>
>>16677606
I like your wolf,

I don't k ow what to talk about.... what classes are you taking?
>>
>>16677638
Biothermodynamics, FDA requirements, neuroscience 2, neuroengineering lecture and lab, and senior design 2 (essentially a final project class for engineer students) I'm a bioengineer btw.
>>
>>16677670
That's. ....an impressive study. Is it a passion?
>>
>>16677686
I guess. I want to make implants that interface with neurons in the future (sight/hearing/controllable artifical limbs that can actually feel). I'm also interested in robotics and AI too, so idk what exactly I'll be doing in the future.

Enough about me, tell me about yourself.
>>
Believe it or not exercise is great way to fight stress.

Even dumb yoga produces a lot of endomorphines which are basically painkillers for depressed people.
>>
>>16677736
Yoga originates from the religion of happiness so it should help against depression :)
>>
>>16677736
I do yoga every day, and weight lifting. It does help, but only so much. I do enjoy it though. :-)
>>
>>16677731
That's an amazing use of knowledge, and kind of a funny coincidence, because I'm studying prosthetic design and application. I'm only just getting started, having changed my major, and moving, yet, when I'd finally come across the idea a year ago, I was hooked.
The new 3d printer technology has upped the game, and opened up a lot of doors as far as design and funation go. You could very much be able to create a bionic arm that functions as fluidly as a human one down the line, and I think that's amazing.
>>
>>16677769
Try group therapy in you local area.

You can say anything you want and you will be among people with similar problems.

Should be free most of times.
>>
op i don't think i have clinical depression, but i can strongly relate, we can talk about shit too if you want, i'm a med student, (i won't reply alot because exams)
>>
>>16677874
>>16677791
Thank you, really. I appreciate just having someone there to respond
>>
>>16677791
I'd never thought of group therapy. Usually, therapy was costly. But, ....I might just give it a try
>>
>>16677784
The mechanics and physical design have been there for decades; the hard part is making "skin" that can sense and sending those signals to the brain and sending input from the brain to the arm directly, as oppposed to having the user press some buttons/switches on the arm to perform some preprogrammed action.

Also sorry for responding late.
>>
>>16678004
That's just fine, :-) it's not easy to talk on here a whole bunch, but it's really cool to discuss this with you.
You can call me Tink, instead of OP lol
>>
>>16678054
I never called you OP, Tink, that was another poster. Also, why Tink? Short for Tinkerbell?
>>
hey, i'm the med guy, fun fact, for years i've been interested in regenerative medicine, and combining stem cell science with mechanics, it just looks like a funny coincidence that you have those interests. are you all in usa?
>>
>>16678198
Bioengineer guy, yea
>>
test
>>
>>16677670
How hard is bioengineering compared to the rest lf engineerings?
Do you do lots lf maths? Physics? Or mostly theory?
>>
File: 1398704395460.jpg (201 KB, 502x514) Image search: [Google]
1398704395460.jpg
201 KB, 502x514
>>16678616
As much math as chemical/electrical engineering. In our program we basically did a bit of every type of engineering (except civil and industrial) including coding, working with circuits, studying the various properties of materials, etc. Though I would say the majority of the major-specific work I've done is systems analysis and engineering.
>>
I panicked when I realized I hadn't been back in quite a while. I'm glad to see you guys are still here, and chatting about interesting topics.

What a happy coincidence indeed!!

And to answer a previous question, yes, Tink is short for tinkerbell. I used to wear my hair up in a high messy bun and wear green often, and it became my nickname as a result.

How are your nights going?
>>
>>16678677
I could never understand what part of our development as a human decides which learning methods and topics we're able to participate in and retain better than others. I am one of those people, that if given a space filled with items in random assortments, could build you anything you like. However, I could not for the life of me understand how to wire or code something if you asked me to right now. I'm trying, I'm actually teaching myself how to make a circuit board atm, but it is not a subject I can engage in easily.

I can build you an arm that would look perfect in proportion, and function admirably, however, I could not chemically tra storm a material that would have the consistency of skin to mount onto it, nor could I program it to follow directions unless given a set of directions.
It is a frustrating setback.
>>
I suppose everyone has gone to bed, when it's only 10:00. Damn adult life
>>
Try 7cups, OP.
>>
>>16677589
Op. I know how you feel. I want to hear your voice. Is there any way I can speak to you over the phone?

Do you live in the USA?
>>
>>16679061
I'm still awake Tink. It's 10:17 pm where I live.

Please op. >>16679080
>>
>>16679088
Why do you want to hear my voice so badly?
I'm not saying no, but it is an odd....yet sweet request.
>>
>>16679080
I do live in the US
>>
>>16679094
>>16679103
Im the same person in both posts.
I mean, I don't want to necessarily just hear your voice, but I completely understand where you're coming from in every way.
Like you're a person I can hear and I'm a person you could hear.

I ask if you live in the states only because I live in Mexico, but have a way of making phone calls to the States for free.
>>
>>16679103
Or I would love to see if you're available to download whatsapp so I can personally chat with you on your cell
>>
>>16679163
I honestly don't know. I get nervous about talking to people on here, outside of here.
But more....once it becomes real to someone, they disappear.
>>
>>16679174
But I can be your living diary tink.
Call me "G".
I know though, I've only ever met 1 other anon in real life and yes it was strange, but again, I know how you feel. I felt like the original post you made was something that I would have wrote.
>>
>>16679174
Hey Tink it's the bioengineer again, I added a name field to make it easier to differentiate between us. If you're still here sorry for not responding, the thread went a little dead and I did something else for a bit.
>>
>>16679197
I don't know what whatsapp is..... but I could look at it
>>
File: 1423289591868.png (25 KB, 155x205) Image search: [Google]
1423289591868.png
25 KB, 155x205
Depressed for 15+ years here weighing in on this phenomenon. I'm almost 31, parents got divorced when I was 11, got two terrible stepfathers for the price of one awkward puberty. No physical abuse but violent enough to break shit when angry, first guy told me I was a pussy who'd never touch a woman, etc. Great stuff.

Stayed strong because my dad was still around. Saw him weekly, good moral compass, etc. Never made much of myself, only ever worked labor, wasted my time in a community college. I know anything I've done wrong after the second stepdad left(18) was my decision made incorrectly.

So what changed? I played World of Warcraft since Vanilla. About 6 years ago at the end of Wrath I had an inkling to found a guild. Pushed to a raid group in Cataclysm, met a guy and we had nerdy interests in common and a good chemistry. Chatted almost every day, made each other laugh a lot, good times. Helped me lead, took a liking to me, tutored me on leading.

After months of this we talked a bit more about our lives and I gradually opened up about my depression. By a miracle dude has been my spiritual adviser ever since. Still chat every day online, treat each other like brothers.

I can't tell you how to get a friend who helps you get through life OP, but they exist. All I can do is to be as brotherly to him as I can and to earnestly be his friend. His successes make me feel as good as my own and I hope that sincerity strengthens our camaraderie.

I guess the only sure way to introduce the possibility of it happening is to continue meeting people no matter how small it may seem at the time.
>>
>>16679240
That was my fault, I was driving, and couldn't respond for a bit. It's been nice talking to you so far though, I'm glad you came back.
>>
>>16679252
Thank you for your message. I'm glad you found someone to bond with and talk to.

Your picture made me smile. :-) lol
>>
>>16679367
Man, I seem to have terrible timing
>>
>>16679518
We all do :/

I'm gonna head to bed in less than an hour so I can get up and run in the morning.
>>
>>16679594
Well, I'll check in in the morning, if the thread is still up.
Sweet dreams. :-) and thank you again.
>>
File: stahp.gif (888 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
stahp.gif
888 KB, 220x220
>>16679594
Sorry, forgot name.
>>
>>16679611
Lol cat in a shark. :-p
Heehee

Goodnight bioeng, sweet dreams
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.