[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mental Abuse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
Why the fuck do we have to learn about imaginary numbers? In what way does this "ever" apply to real life? Also, how much of Algebra 2 do we actually use when we grow up?
>>
>>16660747
If you are employed in any sort of field which utilizes mathematics beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, you will benefit from learning algebra skills/logic processes.

If you are employed in a field which never utilizes mathematics, you will never use algebra or any math beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.
>>
>>16660753
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm just wondering in what way do we ever use numbers that don't even exist. Like, what field benefits from that? "What" does it apply to, is what I'm wondering about
>>
>>16660747
>Why the fuck do we have to learn about imaginary numbers?
>I dont know anything about engineering
>Also, how much of Algebra 2 do we actually use when we grow up?
>What is calculus
>>
>>16660753
>>16660764
How shit you people are stupid. Its taught so that maybe, just maybe you can be a functioning human being
>You want to fill a pool
>Your hose pumps water at X rate
>water is drained from the pool at Y rate
>how long does it take to fill up the pool
If you can answer this question, congrats you used calculus.
Ever heard of optimization problems in calc 1 they teach. These are things you deal with in every day life but probably look the other way because you were too stupid to answer it.
>>
>>16660824
Or you just turn the hose on and go back inside and kill time watching the game and look out your window to see the progress.

You fucking nerd.
>>
Doesn't matter what it's for. What matters is that you need to learn it so you can get a nice piece of paper so you can get a job. Deal with it, kid. And get off this site, it's for 18+.
>>
>>16660824
Why do you still have the drain open when you're filling up the pool? You mean the overflow drain? That won't happen until the pool is, well, overflowing.

Also to answer your question OP, imaginary numbers become useful in electronics.
>>
>>16660831
Yeah because when you put your food in the microwave the best solution is to check to see if its done. Stop being an idiot and learn to do some basic math.
>>16660838
Because thats how the pool is designed
>>
>>16660747
I can't speak for other fields, but complex numbers are incredibly helpful in electrical engineering.
>>
Holy shit, you are ignorant. Euler's formula:
e^ix=isinx+cosx
It basically links the exponential function to trigonometric functions. It is also used extensively in quantum mechanics - which dictate many daily technologies. Read a fucking book you absolute gimp.
>>
>>16660848
Microwaves have timers and they beep when they're done.

Jesus Christ you're really reaching. No one gives a shit about your numbers, dork.
>>
>>16660838
Thanks for the solid answer, Anon
>>
>>16660860
>someone did my math for me
Literally scum. Keep being stupid.
>>
>>16660860
"Our numbers" govern the way everything works you unintelligent monkey.
>>
>>16660860

I feel you, these examples are stupid.

But math, if taught correctly, is a fucking powerful tool. It can be used to explain shit that you simply can not have in our reality. It's a philosophy, and so far, it is everywhere in the known universe.

I think it should be a platform to stimulate minds. If you're not stimulated by it, no big deal.
>>
>>16660865
>>16660868
All these triggered nerds, lel
>>
>>16660876
the fluid in/fluid out example is a classic differential problem used anytime you have a filter for someone. Because the filter cant work as fast as the pump. But instead of doing the math people just look to see what the filter cant keep up. Its like counting on your fingers.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 360x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 360x460
>salty nerds
>>
>>16660888

Come on, using engineering to explain the value of math is using a niche interest to explain a niche interest.

You need more universal examples, like money. Understanding math is greatly beneficial when trying to accumulate money.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.