[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
issues with new tenants.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: gavel.jpg (2 KB, 138x90) Image search: [Google]
gavel.jpg
2 KB, 138x90
New tenants seemed fine at first..until a college aged child came back for holidays. Now I smell pot smoke at times...completely unacceptable considering not even cigarette smoking is allowed...how do I lay down the law.
>>
Ask him to smoke in the bathroom with the fan on.
>>
>>16624963
You are not understanding...smoking is not allowed ..ever..under any circumstance...Problem is this kid is like maybe at most 4 years younger than me....I dont want to destroy relations with his parents but I need to keep up appearances in the building as I am the landlord...Should I just tell his folks?
>>
>>16624794
i say you look the other way on this one.
>>
>>16624984
What do you mean?
>>
>>16624992
Kind of what I was saying about the bathroom. It's not that big of a deal man. Cigarettes are worse but even then you'd have to paint which you'd probably have to do anyway.
>>
>>16624977
tell him (privately) that you dont care what hes smoking, as long as its not on the property. he can smoke in his car, or outside, or wherever. be respectful, he will probably do the same. and if you catch it again, then go nuclear
>>
>>16624977

It sounds like the issue will be over as soon as the kid goes back to school. Should be done by January 2nd.

Really, what's the big deal if you smell a bit of smoke every now and then, on rare occasions? Do they pay their rent? This is the kind of thing that happens when you have tenants. People aren't perfect
>>
>>16624794
Unless the contract says no weed you can't do much. Especially if it is legal in your area.
>>
>>16625125
'smoking' would cover any substance that is 'smoked'
>>
>>16625130
What about smoked turkey? Smoked ham? Smoked salmon?
>>
>>16625158
Yeah smoking in a smoker inside the house would be a no.
>>
>>16624977

Honestly though - is this a REAL health issue, or are you just being a control freak? Because for most people, a little bit of second-hand smoke isn't going to affect you. Living in close quarters with a heavy smoker who smokes indoors, yeah. A college kid taking a few hits of weed while he's home from school for a week, not gonna hurt you.

They give you money every month, and in exchange, they get at least a reasonable amount of freedom in their own living space. Unless this is something that can REALLY hurt you or someone else in the building, you should just let this one go.
>>
>>16625190
Exactly. I mean was OP expecting support here? Give me a break.
>>
>>16625190
No...Rules are rules...no smoking in general..yes it hurts..I have other tenants..this is money to me.SO yes..it does hurt.
>>
>>16625208
that being said I will have a talk with them in the a.m..I do not want to get this kid in trouble..i will jjust nix this out now.
>>
>>16625208
Did anyone complain?
>>
>>16625219
He won't admit it and you'll have to prove it. Have fun.
>>
>>16625229
Yea ...Its a non smoking building...all of that is in the agreement...other residents may be very frustrated at the fact that they are breaching a contract. Its one of the few places in town where it is a smoke free environment/ housing..it really means alot to people trying to live clean/ have kids/ prego right now.
>>
>>16625261
What about smoke from fireplaces, cars, gas stations and other carcinogens? What about if they burn something cooking or in a microwave?

Unless you live in a bubble nothing is going to be "trying to live clean/ have kids/ prego right now."
>>
>>16625281
No fireplace in apartments, gas stations and "other carcinogens dont apply here" all kitchens have vents that pull out smoke from cooking". What was the point anyways?
>>
>>16625120
this seems good, I dont want to get him in any trouble..honestly if he just went outside it would be better... for such a small thing that shit screws with this whole operation.
>>
>>16625287
If you live on a street with vehicles and the building has windows that open then you are always dealing with carcinogens.

>have vents that pull out smoke from cooking
I thought you said it was a smoke free building? So there is smoke then.
>>
>>16625281
Most of that shit is incredibly diluted when you're actually outside unless you're constantly hanging around construction sites and so on. Most of the material you're likely to inhale in traffic is not carcinogenic. There's a reason that if you do anything involving smoke in your house (cooking, using a fireplace) you're really supposed to have efficient ventilation systems to clear it out of the air. It's pretty reasonable to not want carcinogens hanging around in your place of residence.
>>
>>16625325
Your body actually clears exhaust from vehicles (below a certain threshold; it's not as though you're hanging out in a confined space with them) fairly efficiently. Quicker than you inhale it. It's mostly carbon monoxide and relatively pure burnt material that was passed through a catalytic converter.
>>
What city and neighborhood. Laws affect
>>
>>16625190
>Honestly though - is this a REAL health issue, or are you just being a control freak?
Different poster, dealt with smoking tenants before. The place usually reeks of the shit and requires some work when they leave.

This shits been so annoying that I completely understand a zero tolerance policy. It's his property, his upkeep, his rules.
>>
>>16625565
This...Pot smokes are so adamant about the habit they have that they are willing to destroy their own life trying to protect its integrity . I quick smoking cigarettes in a heartbeat when I realized all I would be is penalized for being a cigarette smoker...still miss them though.
>>
>>16625565
This. On top of that, some of the residents may be attracted to these apartments because they're advertised as non-smoking. OP owns the property and the renters agree to be non-smoking when they move in, the kid needs to take it outside.
>>
>>16624794

Seriously. Just have a one-on-one with the tenant and tell him to do his smoking somewhere else. That would generally be enough. Nothing good ever comes out from being a snitch.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.