[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my dad died
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
my dad died died of cancer last week why do i not feel more grief
>>
>>16611924
Meh, I think it's normal. I've never really felt that sad from someone dying
>>
>>16611924
Shock, or you saw him suffer for so long you are just numb that it is over.
>>
I am sorry for your loss.

You may still be in shock. That happens sometimes. But I wonder: if you felt what you think is an appropriate amount of grief, what would be different?
>>
yeah it is hard to tell, he was going through cancer for a 2 years, the last 2 were particular rough.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQ0n3itoII reminds me of this song
>>
This is incredibly common. Personally I sob like a fucking baby at the deaths of animals (especially dogs) and feel almost nothing initially at the deaths of people. It's not that I love them less -- it's almost like, with people, there's some sort of filter in my brain that only lets the grief in piecemeal, over the next few months, in chunks small enough for me to function through. It used to bother me immensely. I've learned to be almost grateful for it.

It's just you, dude. It's just how you work. It's fine. Don't feel guilty for not feeling enough grief, you're going to feel it someday, and it is going to hurt, so if I were you I wouldn't fight your brain and body's mechanisms for dealing with it.
>>
>>16611924
We all have different ways of greaving; it's not as simple as how they display it in the movies.
What you are doing now is normal. I will not say you will be fine, but this is normal.
>>
yeah i totally feel sorry for animals. but my dad was my best friend. just cant belive he is gone i guess. probaly best just to get on with it.
>>
i guess with cancer i knew he was a goner for a while
>>
anyone else go through the same
>>
>>16611974
Good advice. Not OP, but thanks
>>
yeah thanks for the advice, now i have to go to work in a different country and hope i dont break down and shit
>>
>>16611924

It was the same when my dad died. Cancer as well. In my family, most of us did our freaking out in the time when he was first diagnosed, and when we started to realize it was definitely going to be terminal.

When he actually passed, it was more of a numb, empty feeling for a little while. But life kind of just goes on. I'm guessing that, like me, you had a little bit of time during his illness to process it, spend time with him, and accept it. In a way, it's lucky, some people don't get that when they lose their loved ones. Some people die very suddenly and unexpectedly.

For about a year, I'd cry sometimes in private when I thought about him, but everything else just continues as if nothing is different. You're going to be OK.
>>
Everyone grieves differently. Don't feel guilt for what you don't feel.
Maybe it'll come later, or perhaps slowly in waves.
Don't worry.
>>
thanks mate life goes on i guess
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.