[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Junior at Uni
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 256.png (23 KB, 489x423) Image search: [Google]
256.png
23 KB, 489x423
I'm a junior CS major. I am starting to realise I'm not very good at coding and I don't have the sharpest brain for algortihms. I can fake it well and have managed a 3.0 gpa. I'm not well versed in tech and I am realising I simply don't care much about it. Not putting /g/ down but it's just not for me. At my best I can be a mediocre coder and I've never even done a hackathon.

Recently my passion has become writing and my days are consumed with thinking about character development rather than web development. I can get a job in programming because of family and friends but I doubt I'll ever be great or get a job in Cali and make huge money. I'm starting to get scared that I fucked up too much by not caring about my major and getting drunk and high the past 2 years.

Is it worth me busting my ass to be average and get a decent job and save money before I pursue something else or should I quit while I'm ahead and do what I want to do? I'm almost done with school and the only reason I feel like I did CS is because I didn't want people to think I'm broke-dick lit major. My family isn't poor but as the oldest child I feel expectations to set a good example and just do what I'm told. I'm starting to get really worried about my future and settling down for a mediocre life.

Advice?
>>
Kills yourself normie scumie
>>
Join circus and do crack
>>
File: areyoufuckingserious.jpg (26 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
areyoufuckingserious.jpg
26 KB, 800x450
become a dank maymay
>>
>>16607098
Sorry to hear about your situation OP. I recommend sticking with comp-sci and sticking with it, it's an extremely versatile major, you don't have to go to silicon valley and do web development for the rest of your life. I'm not pretending to know all the answers but I'm sure there's a job that you can use your CS degree and incorporate your creative side as well, good luck
>>
>>16607098
Have you ever heard of the phrase starving artist? You don't want to do writing as your only source of income.

Stick with what will give you a steady income and pursue writing on the side.
That way if you fail or aren't very famous you won't suffer. One of the best writers I ever read was a lawyer who wrote on the side. She was so amazing I couldn't believe she felt insecure about her self published work. (My tastes include Terry Pratchette, Brandon Sanderson, A Lee Martinez, and compared to them she is good!)

A person once told me if you can't do what you love as a job, do it as a hobby.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.