[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I have a slight tendency to hoard. >have about 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1445086007422.jpg (33 KB, 540x506) Image search: [Google]
1445086007422.jpg
33 KB, 540x506
I think I have a slight tendency to hoard.

>have about 3 months worth of clothes to wear without having to do laundry
>bookshelf is too small for books now
>all my college assignments because i worry that I may need them some day for some reason. Do I need them?

I've gone through my clothes countless times. I've thrown out like 4 full trash bags of clothes. Had to throw them out impulsively instead of sell or donate because
>put clothes to donate in bag
>put in car
>never make it to the goodwill or salvation army
>see bag in car
>Why did I throw these out? I want that shirt again
>bag comes back in house
>back in my room

I still have a shit ton of clothes. I've heard the suggestion to store clothes for the season. But I live in southern california and all my clothes I can wear year-round. I get attached to clothes that I wore to certain events. I love to sew, and when something breaks, I just think "Oh I can fix that" but then I never do. Well, I do sometimes, but not consistently.

What's the right amount of clothing to have? I want to do a sweep on my closet. Keep only necessities, but not look like I'm wearing the same thing constantly.

Pretty sure I have about 14 pairs of jeans, 7 leggings, around 70 shirts, 20 jackets, 12 cardigan sweaters, 4 sweatshirts. Like what is normal...

I'm not rich, hell I'm barely making it, can't even afford to buy some organization boxes or more dressers. Most of my clothes are collected from over the years. Good finds from thrift stores that are durable and have lasted and are still in good condition because I like thrift shopping and it's just a hobby, I guess, that is getting out of hand.

My main concern is the clothing. Which is why I'm asking what is a normal amount to have
>>
>>16606299
Also have about 10 dresses, some casual some more formal. 12 pairs of tights/nylons. And around 7 pairs of shorts. And 6 skirts.
>>
>>16606299

If you are male and have more clothing than you need for 10 days, it's way, way too much shit.

As far as college assignments/books - you may want to leave a few noteworthy essays, but fact is that you will never look at them again.

Also, I helped a few friends move over the years - they just drop most of their shit and take what they can pack in a car.

>70 shirts, 20 jackets

This is fucked up. 10 shirts is starting to push it. 20 jackets, why?
>>
I'm assuming you're a femanon, so I'm not sure how much more clothing you ought to have than an average male such as myself, but I have probably 2-3 weeks worth of clothes that I can wear without repeating too much, and I honestly think that's too much. I'd say do a sweep of your closet and keep like 2 weeks worth of clothes, plus any clothes for certain occassions (i.e. workout clothes, formal clothes, warm jackets etc.)
>>
>>16606311

I guess it's more normal for a girl, but still, imo you are just wasting a ton of time and money. Even if you go out all the time, you don't need 70 fucking shirts. Even for a girl, 30 is insane.
>>
>>16606313
I'm a female. And I work with a lot of classy women that never wear the same thing twice... I think this may have been the root of my hoarding. Once I started working at my job, I felt nervous about looking poor to my colleagues. I take good care of my clothes, so it's not like they're nasty. There is just so many of them.
>>
>>16606317

I go for 7-8 business shirts when working in a business formal environment. I feel like that's plenty. Not looking down on you or anything, just discussing.

Going through this shit takes too much time.
>>
>>16606321

>I felt nervous about looking poor to my colleagues

Do you know how much they make? If you make as much as everyone else, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you are inadvertently inspiring me to go through my closet and throw shit away.

In your defense - I find that having too few pairs of, say, jeans increases tear and wear drastically from overuse.
>>
>>16606318
They are mostly just casual t-shirts, literally nothing special about them objectively, other than they are semi-one-of-a-kind because mostly vintagey and from thrift stores. I have fancy shirts for job interviews and such, but only like 6 to be honest.

>>16606324
I work in a casual/business casual environment (its a school), but everyone still dresses pretty well. I get by wearing casual t-shirts with jeans and a cardigan or light jacket. I guess that's why that is what I have the most of.
>>
>>16606328
I know they make around what I make. But most of them are married or don't have to pay bills because they live with their parents. So they use their income to buy nice clothes.

I keep many jeans because my weight usually fluctuates throughout the year. And it's nice having jeans in varying sizes so I won't have to go out and buy another pay if I get a little more chubby around christmas.
>>
>>16606338
>>16606343

I still think you have too much stuff. I also think you are misguided in trying to impress other teachers/faculty and/or live up to their expectations. Honestly, repeating clothing every few weeks isn't a sign a poverty, it's a sign of not being an idiot. Then there is the fact that neglecting dressing well is stupid, but changing it up is a waste of time/effort and is essentially vanity and misguided effort.

tl;dr: My advice is to cut it down and not to worry about it as much.
>>
>>16606358
I know, I know I still have too much. But I'm just addressing what I think is my reasoning to justify having all these clothes.

I was looking for a set of numbers as a guideline to help me rationalize throwing things out. I think I got it. My plan is to wash all my clothing, see what I grab for the next 2-3 weeks, then throw out what I didn't touch in that 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>16606370

That's a good plan overall. In your case, I would probably go with the full 3 weeks, because I am guessing you have a lot of stuff that isn't worn down since you wear it infrequently.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.