[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would it be irresponsible to have children if I have depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Would it be irresponsible to have children if I have depression?
>>
yes. I have depression and I'm bipolar. both of these are things that could possibly transfer to your kid so don't do it.
>>
Not necessarily, but there are some caveats:

1) You need to seek treatment. If a given treatment is not working, you need to seek another. You must never give up on the concept of treatment, even if your chosen treatment changes from time to time.
2) You need to take an active role in your treatment. Monitor your moods carefully, not to censor but just to observe. Consider keeping a diary to record this.
3) You need to see to it that the logistics of parenting are taken care of, even during times when your condition does not allow you to take care of them yourself. This includes both temporary situations and permanent ones.

If you cannot or will not do these, then yeah; it's irresponsible. But responsible parenting is possible, even with depression: it just requires some extra precautions.
>>
It can be tricky, with all those hormone changes, and then you can have post-pregnancy depression, some women even damage their babies if it is serious.
>>
>>16597040
Then you have to deal with the fact that your child is more likely to be depressive if the parent is. I think that is the concern OP has, not necessarily if he can be a good parent or not.
>>
>>16597040
I'll do whatever it takes to be honest.

My situation is that I have not been diagnosed with depression, but I personally believe that I consistently seem to have some of the symptoms of it and have for years. My fiancee absolutely wants to have children and I did too, but even she notices that once in a while I just seem really sad without reason. It's not a constant thing, it's just a mood swing every so often, one which is really calm and during which time I just feel like being alone and having nothing around me, usually crying, to let off steam from stress and everything else.

My fiancee notices these things but I tend to deny it, because after the fact it always seems like it was nothing at all.

I would be willing to seek treatment, sure. I assume this means speaking to a therapist and coordinating regular meetings with one.

I would take an active role in my treatment. I'm not someone with a lot of free time though, by any means.
As for the logistics of parenting, can you expand on that >>16597040 ?
My fiancee would be a wonderful mother and I am confident I can be a great father.

>>16597069
Yes, you are absolutely correct.

My concern is regarding genetics and the possibility that I could be passing down these traits which have made life very difficult for me to a child.

>>16597063
I see.

To be clear, I am a man here, not a femanon.
>>
depression is not congenital afaik, but it's very easy to pass on environmentally. Consider the fact that there will be days that you cannot take care of yourself, now imagine adding a newborn, an infant, a toddler or a hormonal teenager to that mix

like the other anon said, get treatment and always monitor your moods.

Do you have any pets? If not I would recommend starting off with an older dog or something to see if you can manage upkeep of another living being along with your own needs.
I have depression, but I know I can manage a child as well if I have a healthy, stable partner and stable finances because I've seen how I act around my dogs. Before I got them I was definitely a mess, I still am, but they're my reason for getting up some morning and I always make sure they're cared for before I sink back into the couch
>>
>>16597085
My family had a dog, but I really don't want a pet. Plus my fiancee is allergic. Sorry to shoot down that idea so quickly but I really, really don't want a pet.

That being said, I'm open to getting treatment and monitoring my moods, really.
>>
>>16597073
My Mother had depression and it turns out that I (son) have depression too. Now I am not absolutely sure that mine is legitimate, hard-wired depression through genetics and neurology, neither may hers. My Mother went through depression after she got divorced and had to raise 3 kids on extremely low income. Now we live a stable life and all that, and she seems to be doing a lot better, but she has always been prone to depressive tendencies.

In my case, I got depression during high-school and college, mostly because I had an intense fear that I couldn't make it through college. However, I also had ADHD, and depression and ADHD seemed to be linked from all the research I have read. Once I got meds for my ADHD, in the form of adderall, my depression nearly vanished. I don't know if it's because I am now doped up on stimulants all the time that cured it, or just the fact that I treated my ADHD, but things are a lot better now.

Regardless of all this, depression does seem to have a genetic component to it, and the liklihood of your children having it is definitely increased. I would say if you know you can provide your child or children with a stable life, and you have the money to provide for them, then go for it.
>>
Yeah.
Fuck you, daddy. Fuck you, mommy.
>>
>>16597012
I was diagnosed as bipolar as a teen, but I think I may have been misdiagnosed. I know I have anxiety and am prone to depression.

I went to therapy for 7 years, got all my ducks in a row, in a happy relationship, and have a child.

The unfortunate thing is, when you have a child, you think they will be born perfect, and not have to experience the shit you experienced.

I have a 6 year old who has general anxiety. Likely passed down from my shit genes. My daughter has not had any traumatic experiences, but since she was about 3 years old, she has been horrendously anxious about any bad thing that can happen. First it was things that were fairly normal (monsters under the bed) then it escalated when she went to school (fear of peers not liking her, extreme fear of failing academically). She has slight OCD traits now, like rituals, food has to be a certain way, environment has to be a certain way or else a massive breakdown will occur.

Shit sucks. But I am doing what my mom didn't do and taking her to therapy. She has improved. I'm proud of her.

I definitely think you need to handle your depression before. Children don't fix those things. Being a depressed parent is practically abuse. But, I think passing down anxiety to my daughter was inevitable. It is a responsibility as a parent to help your child with those things. I would never say you shouldn't, but I would say to be prepared.
>>
>>16597012
Speaking from experience, yes.
>>
So.. what do I do then?

My "depression," if I have it at all, is undiagnosed and easy for me to hide so it isn't very noticeable.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.