[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My hand is badly burned and people always stare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
I put my right hand on the gas stove when I was 4, my hand is extremely burned, and I feel like people are disgusted by it. I work at Victoria's Secret and people always give me dirty looks when I fold their clothes to put it in a bag, and one time a lady even asked me if I could get another associate to touch her things. I cried in the bathroom for a long time after she said that. And sometimes on the bus or something, you'll hear a kid say "LOOK AT HER HAND, MOMMY"

>mfw

People tell me I'm pretty and stuff, but that's before they see my hand. It's all discolored and well, the skin is so badly damaged.

Should I wear a glove? I seriously feel like it would avoid anymore uncomfortable moments.
>>
>>16591532
You can bring gloves back. There are lots of pretty ones and I wish I saw more people wearing them today.
>>
>>16591532
>Should I wear a glove? I seriously feel like it would avoid anymore uncomfortable moments.
Sure. You either have the option of hiding it or not caring what people think. You're struggling with the latter so go ahead and do the former.
>>
People should learn to fuck off and quick being such pricks.
Next time someone comments on your hand say "HOLY SHIT YOUR FACE"
>>
I have scarring from a fire on my neck and hide it with scarves - helps with the stares and the questions, so I definitely think you should go for the gloves. I'm sorry you go through such awful experiences everyday though. At this day and age, I would expect people to be more sympathetic, not to mention polite.
>>
>>16591532
No. You are the way you are and that's fine.

Fuck that lady. The kids just notice your hand is different, that's all.
>>
>>16591532
I'd let you give me a handjob with your gimp hand. Just sayin'
>>
>>16591532
You can skin graphing surgery. There are also surgeries exclusive for burns
>>
>>16591532
Don't expect everyone to understand, just stop giving a fuck anon someone thinks your hand is weird? So what what happend? Did you die, no.
>>
File: Ikezawa.Hanako.full.1428334.jpg (279 KB, 805x605) Image search: [Google]
Ikezawa.Hanako.full.1428334.jpg
279 KB, 805x605
Play Katawa Shoujo and take Hanako's route. She's a severe burn victim.
>>
Rude people are always gonna find a way to be rude. You can never please everyone. Wear a glove if it makes you feel more comfortable and confident, but don't do it for them.
>>
I might stare a little, but not to be rude. Your hand is just a little different.

Don't hide it. Express your uniqueness, explain your situation to children, and don't let those rude/insensitive people phase you.
>>
>>16591532
Post pic of it.
Honestly no matter how bad something is, the way you see it will reflect into the eyes of how other people see it. Wear it as a badge of honor. How can you expect others to accept you and your hand if you dont accept your hand.
Yes theyre going to stare, yes stupid kids are going to comment. But kids are the easiest to change the opinion of.
>I got into a fight with a bear
Jokingly through that out and people will laugh an understand. If you see someone staring at your hand just mention your hand and say something about it like
>I swear it wont bite
People stare because its not a sight they get to see often and they arent sure its "safe". reassure them. Be confident. Be yourself dude.
>>
>>16591532
My grandmother burned her hand in a fire place when she was a baby it's so bad that she lost a few fingers and she can barely move it. It looks horrific honestly but she's my grand moms and I love her and don't mind it as I've always seen it. I'm sure she sometimes gets stares in public or whatever but neither me nor her worry about it. If a kid asks she just tells them how it happened.

The self consciousness is something you have to learn how to deal with and I can guarantee you my grandmas hand is worse off then yours.

Just don't worry at least you have most of your fingers from the way you described it. Doubt it looks that bad.
>>
>>16591532
Where the fuck do you live where people are so rude to complete strangers?
>>
>>16591704
sounds like you've never worked retail.
>>
>>16591716
I work retail now.
>>
>>16591704

Outside of your mother's basement
>>
>>16591742
Oooh, burn. You sure showed me
>>
Can you post a picture of your hand OP? I will judge how bad it is.
>>
Time stamp hand photo
>>
You can get smudge proof, water proof makeup so it wont damage the clothes and it will hide the discolorations.

People with extensive tattoos do it all the time. Just don't be cheap with it or you will end up with smudged makeup all over expensive underwear.
>>
I work in the medical field and sometimes work with a woman who was born without fingers on her right hand. She has a small thumb and can kind of grab things, but it's not much use beyond that. She doesn't hide her hand and seems to get along fine in life. Married and all that, and doesn't seem to be too bothered by it.

It sucks you have to deal with this, and I'm sorry people are dicks. We each have our own thing to put up with. I'm mtf trans and it's hard facing people a lot of the time. Others lose limbs, are deaf, etc. maybe I'm just stating the obvious.

You don't have to see it as a complete negative. It could be that you're a better, more understanding and compassionate person for having experienced the stares and horrible statements from people. Not that others can't be empathetic, but if your experiences have helped to shape you I hope you remember that it's not all bad.

Wear a glove if you want. You're not your hand, and you're not defined by a choice to wear (or not wear) a glove.
>>
>>16591790
This OP pls.
>>
You are Johnny tremain
>>
File: Photo on 2015-03-05 at 7.39 PM.jpg (153 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 2015-03-05 at 7.39 PM.jpg
153 KB, 1080x720
>>16591532
Know those feels, anon.

I had a lot of surgery due to cancer, and one of the most problematic scars I have is a large skin graft site with a long cut up my arm that was used to remove vessels and nerves.

Obviously when people see the long gnarly scar up my arm they jump straight to self harm, which is fucking dumb cause it's attached to an unnaturally shaped, big empty scar lump.

I used to hide it but now I just stopped giving a fuck. If people ask or stare, tell them exactly what happened. Don't be a dick, just casually say it. It puts 99% of people in their place and they end up feeling dumb.

>>16591701
Don't do this, it's fucking dumb and undermines you.

pic related
>>
Wear two gloves, and make it into a fashion statement
>>
>>16591704
Place called Earth.
>>
>>16591532
If you think you'd like wearing gloves as a fashion thing, do it. If it's just because you don't want them to judge you over something they shouldn't be such petty cunts over, fuck them.

Lady gives you shit or gives you a dirty look? Rub that hand all over their shit, comment on how nice the fabric is. Kid goes "LOOK AT THE HAND" hold it up and reply "I GOT THIS BY BEING RUDE TO STRANGERS" and traumatize the little shit like they deserve. Some lady's like "Ew I don't want that hand that isn't actually a problem to touch my stuff" tell her to get out of your store and come back when she's learned some basic human decency.

Seriously, don't give a fuck about other people, nobody's opinion of you is worth being upset about.
>>
I don't think that would really be a realistic long term solution. I used to work with this guy who only had his thumb and pinky finger from what I could tell. However he was pretty carefree about it, so no one really gave a damn about it. People can pick up on your bad vibes about your hand, and it'll make them assume there's a real reason for it.

>>16592547
I'm actually curious what that looks like now that it's presumably healed. Did the skin graft leave a scar around the box?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.