[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with being the only person that believes the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Smoking Feels.png (65 KB, 350x338) Image search: [Google]
Smoking Feels.png
65 KB, 350x338
How do you deal with being the only person that believes the way you do?
>Be me in Uni
>Hold strong political views
>Seemingly only one not "feeling the Bern"
>Also a Roman Catholic trying to live a moral life
>I know all that doesn't all seem to work together.
>I feel so alone in all this

Obviously I feel like it's better to stay true to yourself and be alone than to sell out and be on the side of the majority but it's been pretty hard on me lately. How do I deal with this, /adv/?
>>
Okay. How do you feel that you are morally superior in any way by being republican or libertarian?
>>
>>16567292
I can already tell you that you're going to get shit on by /adv/.

Anyways, try to find common ground with people in things other than politics and religion. Also look for groups and clubs about your interests. You can find lots of like minded people at your local church or a Young Conservatives type group.
>>
>>16567292
Glad to hear you see through the bern BS
>>
>>16567300
Never said I felt "morally superior," I feel like I believe what I believe. There's a difference.
>>
Cthulu swims left.

Look it up.
>>
>>16567436

Well, what do you believe then?
>>
You can believe whatever the fuck you want to believe, but that shouldn't stop you from being able to connect and find common interests with others.

If you instantly dislike others because they don't believe in your god or believe the country would be better off with someone else you need to get the fuck over yourself. The only time you should dislike people for not liking what you like is when they try to shove their beliefs down your throat.
>>
>>16567292
>>Seemingly only one not "feeling the bern"
There's no way this is true wherever you are, even at a super liberal school in a super liberal city I know some people supporting Trump, some people supporting Carson, and even some people supporting Cruz. You're either just straight up not trying to find anyone or you're ignorant to your friends' beliefs.
>>
File: 44341729.png (133 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
44341729.png
133 KB, 500x500
If you are involved in political conversations, spend most of your time asking questions and listening as opposed to speaking up. That allows you to maintain your position and even add legitimacy to it by deepening your understanding of the opposing position. You can do so while being perfectly clear on your own position by saying "well, you know my feelings on the matter" and dismissing the topic as though it's not changeable.

If their beliefs appear contradictory or problematic for you, consider withholding judgment and just keeping it in mind for yourself. Or if you feel you're in good company and not going to embarrass anyone, raise your objection and see how it's responded to.

People who are passionate about politics are (or ought to be) open to dissenting viewpoints so long as they are presented respectfully.

Alternatively, avoid the topic of politics around your friends.

Young people in University always seem to me to think that debate is the only form of intellectual discourse. It's not. Discuss facts, share with one another in methods of inquiry, look at political topics from a factual basis and explore the implications those carry for competing ideologies. This is something you can share with people who disagree with you just as easily as with people who agree with you.

Undertake the search for truth honestly and fearlessly without any fear of having your opinion swayed, because that's what we all ought to be doing as intelligent, reasonable people, after all.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>16567604

Good points.

I also think OP should try to disentangle himself from extreme politics.
>>
>>16567292
eeh have you been on /pol/ lately? people there are insane. they're all over trump so much that it's turning into a cult of personality.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.