[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is $1100 (total) too much money to spend on christmas, birthday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1447672982954.png (213 KB, 630x594) Image search: [Google]
1447672982954.png
213 KB, 630x594
Is $1100 (total) too much money to spend on christmas, birthday and valentine's day gifts for a girlfriend?

We've been together for a bit over a year and she got me a really big gift for Christmas. I make enough money to afford it but not easily.
>>
>>16565726
that's my income for six months work
>>
>>16565726
>I make enough money to afford it but not easily.
Then yes, it is too much. You spend within your means, no matter what she buys you.
>>
>but not easily
Then it's too much. Presents should derive from disposable income, not via budgeting adjustments to other aspects of your life.

Now it might be the case that your budgeting sucks. But that's a reason to sit down with a spreadsheet and sort it out. Maybe you can change the "not easily." As it stands right now, however, it sounds like you're going too far.
>>
>>16565734
>>16565736
By "not easily" I mean I'm making all of these purchases all at once since it's holiday season and all of the items I would like to buy are cheaper. It's one big investment for all three occasions instead of three smaller ones, which will cover me for the next three months.

I did the math and if there are no emergency financial situations before then, I'll be able to cover it by mid-January.
>>
>>16565757
It's still a fuckton of money regardless. There's no need for you to spend that much just because she did, and I really can't comprehend how people are okay with spending that much at all.
>>
>>16565757
Then again, the question comes down to budgeting. You didn't have $1100 on hand to easily make bulk purchases like this? Then don't. Either spread it out and miss the sales (btw are you in the Murikkka? President's Day sales usually start just ahead of Valentine's) or just spend less during this bulk buy.

>if there are no emergency financial situations
Not only is this just a retarded phrase to ever utter, but let's set aside emotions for a sec. Do you not know that this time of the year is objectively the peak season for emergency situations? Especially in places with cold weather. Slips and falls, auto collisions due to weather, heating breaks down, pipes burst, etc. Then there's the extra traveling people do (exposure to illness, food poisoning at family dinners, drunk drivers, etc.) and the attendant stress. This time of year takes the cake for heart attacks and other forms of sudden death or near-death. Top emergency room numbers are in this and next month. Of all the times to ever write "if there are no emergency financial situations," you could not have picked a worse one. Boggles the mind.
>>
>>16565772
I have the 1100 on hand and a bit more in a savings account that I do not touch unless absolutely necessary. The mid-january estimate is with all mandatory payments and a bit of saving included but nothing that'll pay for facial reconstruction surgery (which I don't think I'd be able to afford anyway.)

You guys are right though, I should spread out the purchases just to be safe. A good gift doesn't justify unnecessary debt.
>>
>>16565726

it kinda depends. imo you should stick to several small gifts and pick one event a year to do a big one. spend maybe 50 dollars on V day, 100 on birthday, christmas, and on anniversaries go for expensive jewelry.
>>
>>16565757
that's a lot of money, a sick amount desu
if she loves you she'd be happier with the attention you spend on her when shopping together for something worth 100$ really.
>>
>>16565887
You're totally right; the Jimmy Choo's will have to wait.
>inb4 Yeezy taught me
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.