[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>started dating my current GF about a year and a half ago,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Bastion_Boxart.jpg (21 KB, 300x359) Image search: [Google]
Bastion_Boxart.jpg
21 KB, 300x359
>started dating my current GF about a year and a half ago, met during the summer
>both still in university, but she's transferring to a better art school up north
>after living together for the end of a semester and through the summer, she moves up and we're okay with this
>we spend our year and a half visiting each other every few weeks, no problems whatsoever, perfect long distance relationship
>no cheating, no trust issues, just easy and fun
>she comes down for Christmas break and the summer, lives with me again (her mom is in this town too)
>we travel the world literally in one summer, go to like 5 countries together that neither of us have been to
>again, perfect
>current semester starts, its my final one before i graduate (she still has a year because of the transfer)
>she constantly tells me to get ready to move up like we both want to (i have job offers there and the city is wonderful)
>as her finals heat up and mine cool down, she becomes more distant due to work
>eventually starts telling me not to move up, despite having been the one making all the serious plans
>literally demanding that i dont move up because ill distract her during her most important years (putting her portfolio and senior project together, getting applications, etc)
>tell her thats okay, ill just get an apartment in the city on my own and we can both focus on jobs and stuff and building our lives until she's ready to move in with me
>she remains adamant about me not moving up and drops the conversation by stating how she's too stressed with finals and doesnt want to say something stupid

How do I react to this?
>>
I'm in good standing with her friends (her initiative, she added me to group chats and they all added me on social media), should I ask them what they think?
>>
Looks like you got keked and she's distancing herself from you either to soften the blow or to avoid dealing with the eventual breakup.

Tell her to fuck herself with a cactus.
>>
>>16562369
I really don't want to assume she's cheating, and I seriously doubt she is. She's extremely adamant about the subject and has broken up with past boyfriends over them doing it to her. Plus, she's been incredibly faithful throughout our relationship, and it's only now (like the past week, specifically) that she's had such a 180. I do believe it's just stress and finals, but how can I be certain?

Is contacting her friends a good idea?
>>
Also, she's staying at my place over Christmas break (comes down in about two weeks), and she confirmed that she still wants to do that. So she isn't being completely dismissive, but regardless it feels weird.
>>
>>16562402

Doubt it all you want son. It's happened and apparently the dick was so good that you're in the thrash now.

But by all means contact whoever you want.
>>
>>16562415
People can't be this shitty. I literally paid for her tickets around the world and she's got me plenty of gifts and everything, it just doesn't make sense for her to throw everything away like this.
Especially considering I haven't been a bad partner at all, at least I don't think so. I'm not abusive, I'm financially well off and independent, I'm apparently attractive, the sex has been great since day 1, and I'm actually friends with her mother, brother, and aunt/uncles (and she is with my mother).

Why would anyone throw this away? Like, we've got it made with each other and I've felt that way since the beginning. There are literally no problems.
>>
>>16562412
if you want to wait it out till then you can confront her in person

in any case you should prepare to break up, being "stressed over finals" is hardly a reason to act like this

contact her friends all you want but you should realize that if they've been her friends longer you aren't likely to get any answers
>>
Bastion is an amazing game. I played Transistor when it came out in one sitting and cried at the ending.

Supergiant Games, when is the next one coming out?
>>
>People can't be this shitty

Welcome to planet Earth, buddy.

>Why would anyone throw this away?
People change.
>>
Just do what you gotta do OP. Don't let your woman hold you back in life. As for her, you're going to have to get her to open up about what's bothering her and her sudden mood change. Be playful about and don't give up, it might take a LONG time.
>>
If you're sure it's not cheating or some other big thing, then I'm going to go with this:

You're both in college. I'm also assuming you are both fairly young. You both love to travel. She was willing to make a major life change and move North. Her career is important to her.

So now she has finals and she's super stressed and she's thinking about her future and what she wants out of her future. Maybe she had the travel blues when she got back to normal, regular life after hopping through 5 countries in one summer (something most regular people never do). Maybe she's experiencing a massive case of wanderlust. Everything about your girl says she wants to be the best she can be and really experience life. I'm not talking about those pathetic people who break up with their s.o. because they want to party and make out with people. Your girl might be having a legitimate existential crisis about where her life is headed and what she wants her impact to be.

In fact, I think that's exactly what's going on. Your girl is having an existential crisis.

Is this about you and your relationship? Yes and no. Maybe it really bothers her that her life is tied to someone else, and if she wants to move to another city, that she can't. Maybe she wants to pursue her degree for a year and bumfucknowhere, and can't, because she's thinking for two people. Maybe the stress of that is putting your relationship in jeopardy. Does she love you the same? Yes. But she wants to live her life, but the relationship is frustrating her ability to pursue and make plans as freely and she'd like. And that's what it feels like. She's not sad or mad; she's just incredibly frustrated.
>>
>>16562533 continued

So can she describe how and why she's incredibly frustrated? She probably knows it's an existential crisis about her future, but she can't quite put everything into words and if she does put them into words, then the words will likely hurt you, despite the fact that they're not coming from fully formed thoughts or feelings, just frustration. She knows better than to jeopardize your relationship over that, but the stress and direction of her future are harping on her, and she doesn't know what to do. She can't find comfort in you, because technically, you're part of the frustration. Making plans with you seems to give in to the "inevitable," and not the open future she wants. Maybe the frustration is that she feels like she's planning your future. Who knows. Look at other reasoning and sources worth considering, too. But you can't solve this problem for her, and picking at it will likely make it worse.

So what can you do? First, wait till finals are over and see if that stress lessens her problems. Sometimes stress is the only trigger and reason. Give her space to work through this, but let her be her own independent person right now and you can be your own independent person, and emphasize that the good relationship you want and have is about supporting two people walking beside each other (not dependent, soul-sucking clingy relationshit that doesn't let you two grow or improve as independent people).

If finals stress doesn't remove the problem, then talk to her. Let her talk about what she wants in life; with and without you, and if you feel your relationship can support the independent person she wants to be, then let her know that. I doubt she's looking for "I'll always love you baby," and other affection showered on her. It's empty answers to her problem. What she probably wants is, "Hell yeah you're an awesome person, and I want to be a pillar in your life as you continue to be an awesome person," and she can offer the same for you.
>>
>>16562344
Messing around with strangers in college is pretty common for men and women. The fact that you're so arrogant to think you're so perfect that she'd never risk losing you is probably what drove her into another man's arms in the first place.

Tell her you understand she needs a break right now, and that you won't hold it against her if she sees other people in the mean time. You meanwhile, get some strange so you can clear your head and decide if she's really the last person you ever want to sleep with before you start making commitments. The best part is that it shows confidence. You start whining to her friends about how you can't trust her and need to be reassured, and that'll be the last you ever hear from this girl.
>>
>>16562466
Transistor ending was retarded.
>>
>>16562533
>>16562547
Thank you for this.
>>
>>16562570
I didn't mean to sound arrogant. I guess reading back over my post, it was just my way of expressing how much I didn't understand her behavior.

I'm not looking for anything super serious (marriage and kids, though she has talked about them, are getting pushed as far into the future as I can)
>>
I agree with the above post.. She's probably having some sort of crisis. There's such a thing as a 1/4 life crisis, not saying that this is exactly that but close enough. People grow, people change and they question what the thought they wanted out of life. It's a actually a good thing to a certain point. It allows to re examine our priorities and put them back into place. She's probably doesn't want you up there cause it will feel like a huge commitment for people so young, like a ball and chain. And she's needs to find herself by herself. Don't assume it's all thrown away. Maybe over the summer you suffocated her a little by spending all this money and making all these plans for the future, that she wasn't quite ready for yet..
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.