[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice for getting through an 8 hour work day? I am going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: small-business-finance.gif (40 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
small-business-finance.gif
40 KB, 480x320
Any advice for getting through an 8 hour work day? I am going from pretty much NEET to working 40 hours a week working retail.
>>
find a job you dont hate.

eat enough and stay hydrated.
try caffeine but moreso in the later hours of the shifft
>>
You'll get used to it. Trust me.

You'll just become numb.
>>
>>16558212
How long does that take?

>>16558211
Doesn't seem that bad so far. Not sure how it will turn out, seems like they make the new guy do all the shitty jobs.
>>
>>16558224
I'd say about 3 months while you get used to routines and shit. Don't do too much, they don't pay you enough for that.

You might find some cool people, you might not.
>>
>>16558208
If it's what you need right now, you'll slowly get used to it even if you don't like it.

I work a full time job, not in retail, but it is very mentally stressful. It took me about two months to adjust fully (and I am someone who is slow to adjust to dramatic changes in lifestyle).

Make sure you eat enough and drink enough. You may start relying on caffeine. Take vitamins. I was constantly getting sick at my job from being around the dirty public and having a lowered immune system due to stress.

Plus, my first pay check was my biggest motivator.
>>
OP I know this exact feel. I'm fucking exhausted every day after work, and by the middle of my shift my feet and back are so sore it's ridiculous. I pretty much lay in bed every morning debating if I want to drag myself to my shitty fast food job or if I want to kill myself.

Anyway, my last job wasn't so bad at first and after a couple of months the agonizing sore feeling stopped. So hopefully that's the case with this too. I doubt I'll make any new friends since the people I work with aren't exactly ones I'd like to associate with. But I do already know one guy there who got me the job and he's a good friend. Just wish I could work with him every day instead of having to work with my boss some days and him others.

As much as I've been getting scheduled I haven't had time to see my therapist, which isn't helping things at all. Maybe I'll make it through this. Good luck, OP.
>>
>>16558340
>Plus, my first pay check was my biggest motivator.

Bills were a motivator but since I don't go out...or do anything really, that I've got 10k saved even from shitty wages.
>>
>>16558208
8 hours is nothing haha. Try 12 hours a day
>>
Op here. Thanks guys for all the advice. My shift starts soon. It helps knowing I'm not the only one feeling hopeless and that it goes away after a while.
>>
>>16558349
Would rather kill myself, be unemployed, or live off autism bucks t b h.
>>
>>16558404
>I'm not the only one feeling hopeless and that it goes away after a while.

It doesn't actually go away, you just become numb to it.
>>
>>16558208
I use my time in retail to work on my people skills. I'm pretty good at flowing conversations now, I just need to work on breaking down the mental barrier that keeps me from approaching people. Hopefully this will help me with approaching women in bars or other public places.
>>
>>16558420
>Would rather kill myself, be unemployed, or live off autism bucks t b h.

NEETbux or being unemployed is just that little bit more terrible than a soul-numbing job.
>>
- you'll get shitty customers all the time, just let it slide and don't dwell on it. If you have a customer bitching at you, always continue to be courteous and professional (don't be shitty to them or you're fucked)
- if you're in your feet all day, get a good sturdy pair of shoes and insoles if possible. if you're hunched over folding clothes or whatever a lot, frequently stop to stretch out your back
- drink caffeine if you need it, but avoid sugar (sugar crashes are fucking horrible)
- wash your hands a lot and avoid germs as much as possible, it was nearly impossible for me to call in sick when I was in retail
- if you're in a mall, try to avoid the food court unless there's a healthy option like subway. but seriously bringing food from home will save you a shitload of money and will likely be healthier
>>
>>16558451
This is an excellent point as well. Be really friendly and spark up conversations as much as possible. If anything it will make your day a lot more interesting
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.