[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't smart people go for "easy" jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: easy.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
easy.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
There are smart people in the UK, Europe, etc who get top grades in their finals and yet decide to pursue Music, Math, etc instead of Medicine, Law, etc for their undergraduate degrees.

Yes, I understand that being a doctor or lawyer is stressful, but why don't these smart people go for "easy" jobs instead? Being a physiotherapist, nutritionist or actuary is not that stressful. This is certainly the case compared to something such as a researcher where no results = no funding = no income.

Really, all jobs are boring in their own ways. Even if they are interesting at the start, they become dull over time. Why not just pick something which leads to a stable income and learn to love that job?
>>
You have no idea what you're talking about, that's for sure.

and don't judge others because you feel bad about yourself.
>>
Why do you keep making this thread?
>>
Because people want to do what they enjoy m8.
>>
>>16555015
>You have no idea what you're talking about, that's for sure
Not true. I mean, working in some government office or being a nutritionist is pretty easy! Of course, it's not 100% easy, but it is less stressful than being a nurse, air-traffic controller, researcher, etc.
>>
>>16555024
Don't these people realise that they may be romanticising a certain job too much? Most people hate their jobs and there must be a reason to that (i.e. jobs are meant for you to make a living, not to have fun?).
>>
>>16554974
You ask this identical question once a week. What's your point?
>>
>>16555018
>>16555043
Because I didn't get any satisfactory answers.
>>
gee the self hate and projection sure is strong
>>
>>16555049
You are, you're just not listening.

>Don't these people realise that they may be romanticising a certain job too much?
Is it really impossible to fathom that someone can enjoy doing something for a living?

>Most people hate their jobs and there must be a reason to that (i.e. jobs are meant for you to make a living, not to have fun?).
"most" people

you answered your own thread
>>
>>16555051
>Is it really impossible to fathom that someone can enjoy doing something for a living?
No job is fun? All jobs have their own shitty aspects? I did some part-time work as a salesperson and a receptionist and they were shit! Now I am at uni and hopefully I will never end up in similar shit-tier jobs in future.
>you answered your own thread
No, I didn't answer my own thread.
Yeah, some people love their jobs, but how could this smart guy who picked Physics be 100% sure that he will enjoy being a physicist? He is probably romanticising the job too much! Being a physicist has its own shitty aspects - obtaining funding can be difficult, finding a tenured professorship post is close to impossible, publishing papers is tough when you have no results, etc.
>>
Because we're told we can do anything we want, so we do. We do what we want.
>>
>>16555060
>if things are hard then why do it

i'm not even sure how you made it to university with this mindset.

also, not everyone is as incompetent as you.
>>
>>16555084
>i'm not even sure how you made it to university with this mindset.
I'm hoping to find a not-so-stressful job as a radiographer in the future.
>also, not everyone is as incompetent as you
I'm not incompetent. In my country, getting into the radiography program is very competitive. Almost all the smart people gravitate to majors like this or other majors such as Medicine, Actuarial Science, etc. Just goes to show how important money, financial stability, job prospects, status and the "easiness" of a job are. If these factors are not important, why would so many people pick these majors?
>>
>>16555060
>what is it like to be seriously into something

You are either underage or a sorry being completely devoid of passion

I hope it's the former
>>
>>16555097
>being completely devoid of passion
Maybe that is me
Geez, everyone gets tired of a "passion" over time. Remember that time when you were into High School Musical songs or Disney cartoons? You probably left the fandom now.
>>
>>16555108
i don't get why you're still projecting this

just because YOU lack passion in something doesn't mean everyone else lacks passion.

you are still in uni so realistically, you're stupid as fuck - when you meet someone with true passion you'll realise it i guess
>>
>>16555121
Well... even if you are passionate about learning something, it does not mean that you are passionate about working in that field? I person may be love studying Political Science but he may hate working as a politician as it's obviously stressful in its own ways... you get what I am trying to say.
>>
>>16555125
not really - how else would they know they don't like it unless they try it?

what if the 'smart' person ends up hating the 'easy' job because its not challenging or rewarding?

you make it sound like learning to love a job you dislike/hate is better than finding a job you enjoy

when you work full time for an extended period of time, you'll see how ignorant you are
>>
>>16555127
>learning to love a job you dislike/hate is better than finding a job you enjoy
And how is that a bad thing if that boring job you dislike pays decently, is stable, and has a great job market?
Well I've worked part-time and I know how shitty working is. At least with a degree, I can find jobs which pay better and I can have more status in society.
>>
Not all smart people want to do math or science related jobs.
>>
>>16555134
They can still pick Law or Business though. Why pick something such as Political Science instead?
>>
>>16555132
>when you work full time for an extended period of time, you'll see how ignorant you are

part time means fuck all mate

and once again you assume just because you have a degree you'll find a job, that's far from the truth.
>>
>>16555143
>that's far from the truth
I know, but still, the job prospects of something such as Law is better than just Political Science, right? Why the fuck would someone who could study Law as an undergraduate in the UK or somewhere pick Political Science instead?
And you know, it is not just me pointing out how some people are romanticising a job too much. See, there is already another post on /adv/ pointing out how the OP in another thread is romanticising a job too much >>16555136
>>
>>16555137
If they wanted to be a lawyer or politician, those two options would be more "marketable" choices. If they wanted to teach music to middle school students, however, I don't think law or business would be good majors.
>>
>>16555149
>If they wanted to teach music to middle school students, however, I don't think law or business would be good majors
Did you read what I've posted? I was asking why someone would pick Political Science when they could pick Law. I didn't mention anything about Music in that thread.
And as pointed out by >>16555136 teaching is also stressful as hell in its own way? Why the heck would any smart person want to become a teacher?
>>
>OP is a know-it-all teenager who thinks he has figured out the world
>posts rant thinking he is so smart and expects to get posts admiring him
>instead gets BTFO by adults who know a thing or two about real life

Repeat. Every. Single. Week.
>>
>>16555049
Fine, here is a satisfactory answer:

You are just a kid. You have no idea how the world works. Stop mulling over things you don't understand.

Now will you stop creating this thread every week?
>>
>>16555160
>>16555162
I ain't a kid! I'm just pointing out that picking a job out of interest can suck! Look at this thread! >>16555136
>>
>>16555151
because they want to help society and enjoy teaching children new things, despite certain aspects of the job being shitty they can overcome it with their PASSION and do what they like

is that really that hard to fathom? do you have any skills?
>>
>>16555188
I have skills! If I don't have skills, I won't be admitted to university.
>PASSION
Well, like that anon in that thread said, soon these teachers will hate their passion when dealing with classes where most kids misbehave and don't give a shit about studying.
And since these people can learn to like something stressful, why can't they learn to like a job which pays well that they don't like?
Yeah, it is hard to fathom why anyone will enjoy working.
>>
>>16555195
being admitted into university is hardly a skill, the standard has dropped significantly. just because you're in uni does not make you smart

>why can't they learn to like a job which pays well that they don't like?

because finding that job is hard in the first place? especially when you don't have the skills/connections for it?

i'm actually gonna quit this convo, talking to a brick wall here

good luck with everything, you'll look back in 5 years and realise how much of a dumb cunt you are
>>
This OP legit types like he's retarded, I'd just advise you to quit talking to him
>>
>>16555218
>the standard has dropped significantly
In my country, the Radiography programme is almost as difficult to get into as Medicine. Call me dumb if you want.
>because finding that job is hard in the first place? especially when you don't have the skills/connections for it?
Well if they major in something such as Medicine, I doubt it will be tough. Many countries have a shortage of doctors, especially rural areas. And they can just pick a major they dislike and do internships during summer.
>>
>>16555167
And? What are you looking for advice on?
>>
>>16555260
I just don't understand why all of you in this thread disagree with me. I am linking to that thread to illustrate how I am not alone.
For example, that OP may be interested in teaching, but won't he learn to hate that profession over time? As that other anon pointed out, it's a shit pay job with bratty kids.
>>
>>16555261
So the only reason you keep posting this thread is because you want people to agree with you. The world doesn't work that way. Multiple posters have given you thorough reasons why they disagree with you, and you ignore them all. What else do you want?
>>
>>16555295
>Multiple posters have given you thorough reasons why they disagree with you
You guys may be trolling?
And I seriously don't get why a smart person will pick these majors that are "easy" to get into or switch to another career of lower pay.
>>
>>16555297
Yes, we're all trolling you because at your age you've figured it all out.

If you want a job you can get any job you want, that's how the world works. (this is trolling)
>>
>>16555300
I still don't get why a smart person will pick these majors that are "easy" to get into or switch to another career of lower pay. It's not like those jobs are less stressful and they can just learn to love a boring job that isn't so stressful.
>>
>>16554974
>op is brilliant academic mind and successfully evangelizes his way of life
>every smart doctor becomes a nutritionist instead
>op too busy evangalizing his way of life to do his yearly checkup
>op forgets to eat fruit
>op gets scurvy
>op goes to hospital
>no help there, only nutrition
>op dies of preventible disease
>>
>>16555309
>math
>easy

You are either trolling or incredibly stupid.
>>
>>16555322
I mean a program easy to get into (at least in my country)
>>
>>16555361
It's easy to get to where I am as well. It's really difficult to graduate. It is one of the hardest things you can study, after all.
>>
>>16554974
>Why not just pick something which leads to a stable income and learn to love that job?
Because they no longer know how to learn to love something. We have spent generations teaching our children that love is only authentic when it is wild and uncontrolled: that "learning to love something" is lying to oneself.
>>
I myself choose to pursue math because i want to present my work and come up with the best soorting algorithm possible.. cough cough bubble sort lol but ughh i have to guess that maybe they know they are smart but want to be smarter who knows.
>>
Because we're not pussy faggots bred from the slave caste. Fuck you and your "Smith" name.
>>
>>16555374
>>16555397
>>16555410
Well what people said in this thread is the opposite of what people said in this thread? >>16554274
Wtf?
>>
>>16555597
I only read the posts that contain things I want to hear: the post.
>>
>>16555615
What I am saying is why the fuck are the people in these two threads so different? People in this thread are like "pursuing your interests are good" and people in that thread are like "jobs are not fun"
>>
>>16555597
because people are different?
>>
Maths is easy job ? Fuck you narcissistic medical cunt
>>
>>16554974
Smart people realized long ago that spending your life making money for someone else isn't a satisfying way to live.

The most intelligent people to ever walk this Earth i.e. Archimedes, the Greek pholosophers, DiVinci, Galileo, Tesla, Einstein and so on did not pursue lucrative careers but chose the humble life of academic pursuit instead. They did not live lavishly nor die wealthy.

How many doctors and Lawyers do you actually know? What makes you believe that everyone who pursues these careers is smarter than those who choose not to?

Seems like you equate earning power with intelligence. This tells me that you are probably not so intelligent yourself.
>>
>>>/b/656812875
Help us save her 55
>>
File: 1449565660849s.jpg (4 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1449565660849s.jpg
4 KB, 124x125
>>16554974
>Why not just pick something which leads to a stable income and learn to love that job?
>learn to love

jesus christ ideology really has you by the balls doesn't it kid
>>
File: autism.gif (68 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
68 KB, 500x293
>>16554974
>all jobs have shottyw aspects

Shitty is subjective therefore just based on that you can see that to some people certain jobs are enjoyable.

You've made this thread at least 3 times now. You are dumb and will never have a smart job. Come back when you're mature enough to handle that.
>>
File: 1388521091483.gif (987 KB, 229x176) Image search: [Google]
1388521091483.gif
987 KB, 229x176
>>16555127
Wait...OP Is in uni still?

It all makes sense!
>>
File: received_858980374218443.jpg (20 KB, 540x513) Image search: [Google]
received_858980374218443.jpg
20 KB, 540x513
>>16555231
I hardly study and am routinely ranked in the top 20% GPA wise. Does this mean I'm as autistic as OP? Will I ever find love?
>>
>>16554974

Well if you haven't noticed yet, people have desires, likes, dreams... you know... that kind of stuff that moves them. What you're looking for is called "subjectivity" or the individual desire to follow their desitions based on their emotions at the moment with the expectations of becoming a good choice that will fullfill their lives somewhere in the future.

See, in one hand you have to think that it's a difficult choice. Whatever career they take, it will most probably become their main activity for the rest of their life, taking this into consideration, have you ever seen a physicist working as a medic?... or viceversa?

On the other hand if you're inteligent, chances are that you come from some high-middle class family that could pay your education and access to knowledge so you don't know how important money is and you never value it enough to become the main focus of your career.

To sum up, they don't care about money neither stability. They're doing something more important; fullfiling their individual needs and desires which should be the main priority in any human life.

>PD: Don't mind me, I'm just practicing for my english test tomorrow.
>>
>>16554974
I'm only posting this because I didn't see it in this thread, and I don't recall the other threads clearly, so it's possible nobody has said this to you yet.

There is not just one kind of "smart person." For example, I have a brother who I would estimate has at least a 160 IQ, is a whiz at science and math, but had to struggle to get B's in English. I went to college with a gal who was smart, articulate, and a brilliant painter, but had to take remedial math because somehow she couldn't wrap her brain around fractions. I got good grades in just about everything but I'm a total fucktard when it comes to dealing with people - I can do it but it's difficult and exhausting for some unknown reason. My mom has the same issue as me, and she ended up deciding to be an artist even though she has a degree in English and could teach anywhere. She's not good with people and it's just not worth it to her. I don't know how many smart people you've met, but I can guarantee you every one of them is a total retard at something. Sometimes it ends up being something important.

So a job you think is "easy" might have some crucial component in it that makes it frustrating as fuck for a smart person. Sometimes that frustration is so bad that it's not worth it. Speaking as someone who used to have a "golden handcuffs" job that should have been easy for a smart person (quality engineer) - I can tell you that you can easily reach a point where the job is such a poor match for *who you are as a whole*, regardless of how intellectually suited you are for it, that it wears you down and kills you inside. Sometimes learning to love the job works out, and sometimes you just don't have it in you.

If you can't understand this, then your lack of understanding is most likely due to lack of life experience, and you should wait til you've been in the workforce for 5 years or so before making another one of these threads.

Saging b/c it sounds like everybody but OP is sick of this topic.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.