[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career change?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: lake.jpg (163 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
163 KB, 427x640
I'm a pharmacist in Australia. Managed to find a job despite the fact that the job market is saturated. What I love is teaching though. I took part in teaching voluntary programs during summer and I really enjoyed them, and I find teaching much more rewarding than my current job as a pharmacist.
Is a career change worth it?

I know that I created this thread before, but I have more things to add. My parents taught for their careers, and they think that it is ridiculous how I am thinking of this career change.

Another question: I have citizenship in another country. I am interested in working there (stayed there in the past and love it). Is it better for me to get a teaching degree there so that I can do a bit of networking there? I want to teach there and see what life is like in a different country. It will be expensive though and means that I have to drop everything.
>>
>>16555001
bump
>>
>>16555001
/biz/ here
Teaching is not a job that holds a great future.
You'll get paid a lot less, get yelled at by kids and their parents all day and the joy and passion you feel now will be sapped from you.
You're better off staying where you are and continuing to volunteer.
Who knows maybe in future investment opportunities will present themselves from contacts made and you will create jobs in that country rather than taking one.

Good luck
>>
>>16555136
Well I am not interested in running a business - too risky for me.
>>
File: Clint-Eastwood-3_Roger.jpg (21 KB, 666x360) Image search: [Google]
Clint-Eastwood-3_Roger.jpg
21 KB, 666x360
Posted already. I thought we achieved consensus.
>>
>>16555499
Yeah I know. People in the last thread said that I should go for it. Not this guy though >>16555136
>>
File: 48312366.cached.jpg (200 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
48312366.cached.jpg
200 KB, 1280x853
>>16555512
Yeah, well, why not do the teaching English in Japan thing I suggested?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JET_Programme
>>
>>16555540
I am actually thinking about teaching in America, although Japan does sound cool.
>>
>>16555001
Pharmacy is great in the US, and not saturated. Come here but before you do, apply for a job first and if you get accepted come
>>
>>16555596
>not saturated
Are you kidding? It is saturated. Maybe a bit less than Australia, but not so much.
Also, I am not eligible to work as a pharmacist in the states. I need to retake a series of exams to work there. To be eligible to work as a pharmacist in the states, you need a 5-year Pharmacy degree. My degree is only 4 years. It's not like I will do a PharmD degree again!
>>
>>16555136
As a teacher aide, I disagree.
>You'll get paid a lot less
Most teachers do more than just teach. A lot of teachers are also private tutors, which pays MUCH more. As a teacher you've got college education in teaching and proven experience working with children. Teacher aides don't have any college related to teaching and yet when I approached a teacher on how much I should charge for a parent who asked me to tutor her child, she suggested $30-40 an hour. Of course this is going to vary somewhat by where you live, and how many students you can tutor will be limited. But as a rule the pay will be fairly good. Plus you get a lot of time off from work to compensate for the lower pay and have good hours if you have or plan to have your own children.

>get yelled at by kids
This doesn't really happen in my experience, sure they can be trying in other ways. Crying, bossing around other children if they want to be teacher's pet, misbehaving, refusing to listen. But you are specifically trained in how to deal with those types of situations. And as your experience with the children increases you'll learn how to handle them better.

>and their parents
No, you really don't. Parents adore the hell out of you if you're the least bit competent and take steps to talk with them and make connections with them when they come to pick up their children or what-have-you. One girl's mother baked cupcakes just for me and my coworkers.

There are shitty parts of working with children. Sometimes it's the kid who you just can't find a good way to connect with, who despite the rest of the class loving you, just doesn't seem to like you or want to talk to you. Sometimes it's seeing the parent be too harsh on their child or hearing a child say something like they wish their mom/dad would spend more time with them. It's your job to care for the children you work with. And it can be emotionally taxing at times. But overall I find being a teacher aide a fulfilling job.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.