[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to teach English overseas if you are not white?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: do you speak english.jpg (108 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
do you speak english.jpg
108 KB, 425x282
I'm Asian-American. English is my first language. However, I get the impression that most language schools overseas prefer hiring white teachers. Is it possible to teach English overseas if you are not white?
>>
>>16544619
They'd probably hire you in an Asian country desu

they're probably sick of all the white expats by now
>>
>>16544623
No, a lot of language schools in Asia prefer hiring white ESL teachers.
>>
>>16544628
Why?
>>
>>16544632
http://www.amren.com/news/2012/05/in-china-english-teaching-is-a-whites-only-club/
>>
Bump
I want some serious responses
>>
>>16544619
yeah, but it may be tougher for you to find a job
>>
Some ESL schools require you to have at least some teaching experience and a TEFL certificate. Where I used to work, there was a Asian-British guy and girl who had teaching experience and TEFL got to work where I used to work.
>>
Yes, but it would be easier if you are white.
Similarly, it would likely be easier for a chinese teacher to find a job teaching chinese in a western nation if they were asian.

It just gives the impression of natural ability in that regard is all.

Whether that is right or wrong is a whole different matter.
>>
My friend is Indian but born and raised in Britain, he teaches English abroad in Eastern/Southern Europe and China.
>>
>>16544619

Tru going to another state. A lot of teachers from my state regardless of their ethnic background had to go to another state for a few years before being able to land a job back home.
>>
>>16545118
>>16545145
Did they found these jobs via networks?
>>16545126
Yeah, almost zero white people are native Chinese speakers whereas plenty of Asians are native English speakers.
>>
>>16544642
>“I was shocked—back home this wouldn’t be acceptable,”
kek'd
>>
>>16545205
Well he usually got emails as well as face to face job recommendations from more experienced, older teachers.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.