[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just moved to NYC for a new job and am depressed as fuck. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: nyc.jpg (55 KB, 728x380) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
55 KB, 728x380
Just moved to NYC for a new job and am depressed as fuck. I don't know a single soul here, and there's so, so, so many happy people around me enjoying their lives. I was depressed before the move, but holy fuck being here has definitely magnified it. There's tons of bars, restaurants and cafes around me, but I've got nobody to go with, they're all just full of couples and friend groups.
>>
>>16529841
I'm trying to move there soon anon. I have a few friends there but I suspect I'll be very lonely. I'm super co-dependent on friends/boyfriends (I've never eaten at restaurant, seen a movie alone, or gone shopping). But I have gotten better about it, makes things easier.

Listening to audiobooks/standup comedy on my headphones makes it easier to do boring errands.

Hopefully you'll make friends at your job. Where do you live and what do you do OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X7sZzSXYs
>>
>>16529867
I'm in Williamsburg and the job hasn't started yet, will in a week or so. Until then I'm just sitting in my room bored until I need to go buy groceries or something. I'll go get coffee at a nearby cafe some mornings, but that's it...
>>
>>16529896
I think it'll be better once your job starts man. Hopefully you'll make some good connections there. I'm pretty nervous myself
>>
heh, I made that mistake once. Get used to eating in diners by yourself a 2:00 in the morning

this one thing stands out to me, I once went into a bar and it was pretty full, people were being social and walking around. and I see this tall string bean looking guy with long hair in a pony tail and glasses. Looked like a 4chan user really

he was standing there in his button down shirt, tucked into is slacks, holding a bottle of beer and standing in the corner looking around awkwardly, not talking to anyone.

and you could just tell he was there by himself, he got himself dressed up all nice and said "this is the night, I'm going to go out there and meet some people!" and then he went for it and couldnt work up the nerve to talk to anyone

I wonder what happened to him
>>
>>16530117
He probably drank more and got friendlier haha.

It takes guts though, I admire people like that. Sometimes it works... I get so jealous I would never have the balls.
>>
>>16530040
Maybe but I can't rely on that for everything.

>>16530117
Haha are you in NY? Or just were at one time?
also I mean.. at least he got that far. I wouldn't even do that, except when there's a pool table. If the bar has a pool table then I'll go, drink and shoot pool alone all night (unless some random asks to play)
>>
OP, find a good bar for yourself, get to know the bartender, and bring a good book. It'll attract the right kind of people, and at slow times, you'll still be able to both drink and read a good book. WIn-Win.
>>
>>16530171
grew up here, live in nassau county now

living in the city in my opinion totally blows. I am happy to be right outside of it so I can go in there and have lunch or something and dick around, go back to quiet civilization afterwards
>>
Depends on where you live in NYC they is a great nightlife for a new yorker but it's expensive. also if you live outside of manhattan don't go out after 10 pm you will get mugged threats of being mugged or shot.
>>
I live in the area, I could get drinks with you some time if you want.
>>
>>16530205
its always important to be aware of your surroundings, but despite what the NY Post might tell you NYC is by far the safest major city in America and one of the safest in the world. Especially now that its getting colder there is very little street crime.
>>
>>16530209
Hmm, yeah, maybe. As long as you aren't too crazy. When you say 'in the area', which area exactly you referring to?

>>16530205
lol that's just not true

>>16530185
I'm from "quiet civilization" down south, I've had enough of that haha
>>
>>16530374
I live and work in southern westchester, just to the north of the city but I come in all the time and could show you a few fun places.

got a facebook, steam or skype or something?
>>
>>16530179
Lol this does not always work there was this dude at my bar who was a lawyer made a lot of money but obviously had no friends he would always try to chat up people while they were working. One day after work the crew had a drink with him and it was sooo akward they never offered again.
>>
>>16529841
Hey OP,
I live in NYC as well, actually I have been living here for my whole life so if there's any questions or things you're unsure about we can talk about it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.