[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How bad is a 2 hour commute?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
Will be going to college next year, their dorms are absolute garbage, but from home it would be a 2 hour 10 minute minimum commute, one way.
My only other option is a 20 minute away, but SIGNIFICANTLY worse college, so I guess it will be necessary.
How bad is a 2 hour commute? Can anyone give examples from experience?
pic unrelated
>>
The closest ive been is a half hour commute to my school, I had to take a ten minute train and 20 minute walk, I liked the walk part, I guess it depends on what method youre using to get to your college
>>
>>16511160
45 minute bus, 30 minute ferry, 45 minute train
Also, more time for waiting between transfers
>>
>>16511174
What gives you the idea that the closer college is worse
>>
>>16511174
Damn, good luck
>>
That is fucking absurd.

If you're going to get money to pay for dorms, pay rent instead. Rent a place significantly closer to the school, though off-campus so that you don't have to deal with the bullshit.
>>
>>16511222
Farther college is much more renowned in terms of ranking, professors, heritage; has a better and MUCH more in-depth curriculum as well
>>
>>16511174
I had to take a train and transfer that lasted about an hour, followed by 15 minute bus ride.

If you do do that, i think filling out your schedule for 3 or 2 days is better then going 4 or 5 days. Spend the whole day there at college, going for only a class or 3 would be a waste
>>
I know a girl who commuted that much. She got so much work done on the commute. I wouldn't recommend living somewhere where you had to work a lot to be able to pay rent, that's going to affect your grades significantly
>>
>>16511151

Are you sure it will be 2 hours? No big traffic spots?

how much driving experience do you have? Do you enjoy road trips/driving? I personally do, so a 2 hour commute wouldn't bother me.

I considered doing a 3 hour commute to college and renting a room mon-thurs in the area and then coming home fri-sun. You could consider that.
>>
>>16511234
Yeah, 2 hours or greater with traffic, which can get really crazy
I can drive, but I wouldn't have a car to use most days. Renting in the area is way too high.
>>
>>16511270

What is so bad about the dorms? If you don't have a car most days that doesn't sound feasible, unless there is a bus/train route that goes there.
>>
>>16511231
I agree, if you use your time wisely, you can get a lot done, although it's still a bitch
>>
>>16511347
Expensive, in a terrible neighborhood, lots of huge roachs and rats
>>
>>16511367

what school is this
>>
>>16511428
CCNY
>>
>>16511227
Wise words, anon. Listen to this guy.
>>
>>16512104
NYC rent is fucking expensive though
>>
Any other advice? Thank you to everyone so far
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.