[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
not sure if this should go here but i want somewhere outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
not sure if this should go here but i want somewhere outside of /b/. so, my memory. i have very, and i mean very few memories of anything more than 10 years old. i remember a little more when i was in high school, but not much. i moved around a lot when i was young (foster care) and when i was in high school (back with mother dear at 15. did not turn out well.) i only really remember one friends name, and none of the friends i made in high school. i have a few more memories during the time in foster care but even those are sparse. i've had people add me on facebook that knew me but i straight up do not remember them and accept their request and try to remember. sometimes something clicks but more often than not it doesn't. i've been told i had a shitty life but most of it i do not remember. even my ex wife (divorced a year ago, separated 2 1/2ish) memories of the beginning of the relationship with her are fading more and more. that was 11 years ago, i'm 31 now. i've known about this problem since i was 20. it hasn't really had any effect on education.

is there anyone else like this? if not should i do something about it? should i do something about it any way?
>>
I remember only a few things from my childhood up to 7, i started to wonder when i heard other people my age (21) always remembering so much more than me. I think the reason is simply that we moved at 7 and have never been back, so i were never reminded of anything except what i could remind myself of in my head. So if you moved alot, thats my theory. It seems more severe though
>>
>>16501253
yeah, i moved a lot, different house every few months for a long time. but even my best memories are still hazy no matter the location or duration. i was with one family for over a year and don't even really remember that. but i guess that's a definite possibility.
>>
>>16501269
What about situations it should be hard to forget? Emotional impacts and such ?
>>
>>16501286
i don't remember being taken away from my home and put in foster care (8 years old)
i don't remember my first kiss (middle school)
i don't remember any holidays or birthdays before 20
i don't remember proposing to my ex wife
i don't remember how it felt when i first held my son who is now 8. this just occurred to me... holy fuck...

i remember that these events happened, but not any details. i don't even remember who i got my first kiss from.
>>
>>16501298

you don't remembre proposing to your ex-wife?

I'd be worried about that if I were you honestly
>>
>>16501301
i do remember some details of the wedding itself. i'll be back in a minute. i've been vaping and its been doing me well keeping me off the cigs but right now i think i need to sit outside and huff one down.
>>
>>16501298
Is it that you know they happened but you cant recall the image/video and smells or feelings of it ? If you know what i mean
>>
>>16501306
yeah, i know they happened but not a single detail in most cases. no locations, people, and as far as holidays i don't know that they happened. the foster care i only know happened because i've been told and at one time requested all my documentation because i don't remember much if any of it. and images? people actually have those for memories? is it like closing your eyes and seeing it or what? i've even got a scar on my wrist i'm not completely sure how got there but i was told i tried to kill myself at some point. the person i am now, i can't see me doing that.
>>
>>16501314
Sorry to hear dude! Sounds like it must be something cognitive if you remember so little, have you talked to a pro ? And you just see the images in your head while you see something else with your eyes, it's hard to explain if you dont know..
>>
>>16501314
Oh, and I have only a couple shitty memories that involved beating when I lived with my mother pre-foster
>>
I'm thinking I probably should talk to a pro. But i always ask myself, do I want to remember?
>>
>>16501334
Maybe you are better off, and there is a reason your brain is repressing them ? But i am just an anon and i have no trustworthy medical knowledge, maybe if the right person sees this thread
>>
>>16501348
yeah, this threads open to any and all with advice. any more is greatly appreciated. i'll be more than happy to answer anything.
>>
I have a friend and her and her sister had an abusive upbringing. More like major neglect (leaving a 3 and a 5 year old home alone while the parents go out and get smashed for days for example).
The sister remembers heaps and has a lot of mental problems and can be a massive bitch.
My friend has blocked it all out and have almost no memory of her childhood. She is really happy and chill person.
She told me some children who have had difficult childhoods end up with terrible memories.
I think it's normal that you don't remember your childhood because of this. But it's worrying you don't remember stuff in your adulthood. You should definitely see someone.

Good luck
>>
>>16501402
i am a really chill and relatively happy easy going person. i have 2 sisters that i spent the majority of my time in foster care with until we got separated when i was about 12 (who wants the 12 year old). i was always being left alone with them from what i've been told, thats the reason the cops came in the first place. because i was out of school again. hell, my youngest sister was a premie (1lb 6 oz) and even she was left alone with me when she couldn't have been long out. again, stuff i've been told.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.