[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer Science jobs AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: money.png (18 KB, 292x270) Image search: [Google]
money.png
18 KB, 292x270
Ask a guy who made $21k at his software internship last summer and will be making $115k base salary before ~20% bonuses next year, in addition to $20k in sign on bonuses, anything
>>
>>16499123
Did you go to college? For how long?
>>
>>16499123
I also what to know this...
>>
>>16499158
I ment
>>16499152
That
>>
Wanna buy me a video game?
>>
>>16499152
Yes to earn a bachelor's in computer science which takes 4 years. Currently on my last year
>>
>>16499167
What languages does the job entail? Whats your postition in the job?
How do you feel about self taught programmers?
>>
>>16499174
C and C++ mainly. "Software Developer" is the position lol.

Self taught programmers tend to skip topics they feel are useless (i.e. theoretical CS topics) and they tend to focus on web development. For this reason they aren't really as qualified in general as people with an actual CS degree despite the negative view 4chan has of CS degree holders as anime loving wallpaper setters.

How many self taught programmers study:
-NP completeness proofs
-The various types of finite automata and their computational abilities, limits, and complexities
-OS internals concepts
-Embedded systems concepts
-Assembly
-Advanced data structures and algorithms
-Network protocol implementations

Few do and these are the things that help you get good jobs, with algorithms and data structures being the most important.
>>
>>16499182
I see thanks for the info anon
>>
>>16499123
I know two guys who do stuff in software
both make over $100,000
one of them works from home and is more independent (programming software for independent client), the other works at an office (working for a corporation)

it's a pretty good job if you are good at it and driven.
>>
Hey Im going for an EE major but I know Java and C++ I am going to take Data Structures for fun next semester . Do you think its worth ditching EE after I graduate for a CS job or would I earn more doing EE?
>>
>>16499229
you'd earn more doing CS as far as I'm aware, it's much harder to find EE jobs too.

It's just about what you're good at

Do you "know" Java and C++ or do you KNOW them? Are you good at data structures and algorithms? Do you find CS concepts easy and fun? Then you can make bank. It's a personal interest and skills thing.

If you actually like EE too you can major in Computer Engineering instead which is a half and half mix of CS and EE
>>
Do you tell everybody what you make expecting them to care?
What is the ratio of people who care to people who do not care about your financial success?
>>
>>16499123
Anything? OK Who scored the winning touchdown in Superbowl 17?
>>
>>16499123
Do you, or anyone else here, know what the scene is like in Australia? I'm considering moving to the US or Europe if I can't find work, but that may be beyond my budget. Currently in my 2nd year of CS.
>>
>>16499271
Don't know about Australia in particular but I do know that everywhere in the world is inferior to the US when it comes to making money in software.
>>
>>16499272
That's kinda what I figured, yeah. Do you know anyone in research, and if so, what positions do they hold? I'm interested in doing research later on in life.
>>
What is the most practical thing a NEET with no previous knowledge at all should work on that would give you a good head start in the field and studies?

Like, basic knowledge and stuff. I have some free time now but I'm probably going to college (??) or something and will only be able to really grasp it with my full hands in like a few months (??) when I have a better idea of future possibilities and all of that.
>>
>>16499282
Download python and start writing little easy programs
>>
>>16499287
Thanks for the tip. Going a little deeper, would that help me in related areas like IT, web development or anythinf that could get me a jobb really? Hahahh
>>
>>16499287
>>16499282
>>16499313
>good head start
>python

No, no, and a million times no. If you want a good head start, buy or pirate some good learning material (i.e. ask someone in uni what textbooks they use), and learn the foundations.

Learn a language like C, which forces you to think and experiment, before moving onto Python or another high-level language which takes care of the fiddly stuff for you. If you learn with Python hand-holding you through the entire process, you'll find it unrewarding and you won't learn anything, only memorize some cheap algorithms.

"Writing little easy programs" to learn will not put you ahead of the pack, you'll just blend into the flock of sub-par sheep.
>>
>>16499314
is C the same thing as C#? Lol
>>
>>16499313
If you just want a job in web dev, learn the basics of Joomla/Wordpress. You can churn out an industry standard site in a couple of working weeks, and earn $1k-10k based on your client and the extensiveness of the website.

>>16499317
Yes and no.
C# is a language based on C, made by Microsoft for Windows.
C is a lower-level language (meaning it is 'closer' to the hardware of a computer), making it better for learning how a program works.
C# is good for application-specific solutions, C is better for education and ground-up development.
>>
>>16499317
C is not even remotely the same as C#

>>16499314
Yeah C is good but not as your very absolutely 100% first language. Play with python for a few days it's stupidly easy to get down the concept of loops

You're not realizing what it's like to start from scratch. You don't want your first ever language to be one where you're battling the syntax of the language itself to get things done, you want to focus on the concepts of loops and conditionals

for(int i=0; i<10; i++){
printf("%d\n", i);
}

Is very complicated for a beginner, there's lots of obvious magic

for i in range(0, 10):
print i

Is simple as fuck with no visible magic (there's magic but it's not visible to the complete newbie. Wtf is "%d\n" they will ask
>>
>>16499314
Look man I agree with you that C is the one language to rule them all, but it's not good as a person's first ever introduction to programming when they're self learning. Python is better because you don't have to grapple with the syntax

Training wheels are great if you take them off soon enough. Without training wheels it's hard as fuck to learn how to ride that bike properly and you will either fall behind or just give up. Use the training wheels to start.
>>
>>16499322
>>16499326
You're right, it's much better to let python teach you the basic data structures so that when it's time to move to C, or a language actually used in the industry, Anon thinks "why would I bother, when python does this for me", and never learns to actually program.
>>
>>16499123
Who played Edmund in Laurence Olivier's 1980s TV KIng Lear?
>>
>>16499123
Where are the Isles of Langerhans?
>>
>>16499356
inside u
>>
How come you made half of what I did doing that same job?
>>
Is 24 too old to learn math/science effectively and "deeply"? So it becomes like second nature to me? I know the brain stops developing at 25 or so (obviously you can still learn jus not as effectively or deeply. Never tried at math in school, thought I could go the education route with an English degree as writing is my forte but I definitely don't want this.
>>
>>16499539

And I'm considering computer science, vital bit of information I decided not to include.
>>
File: 1447179902478.jpg (26 KB, 211x273) Image search: [Google]
1447179902478.jpg
26 KB, 211x273
Enjoy being around yuppie gooks and poo in loos all day, every day.

Enjoy that cubicle.

Enjoy knowing that you are 100% replaceable and have literally zero job security.

Congrats on your job anon
>>
>>16499123
Are you willing to send a little to a paypal of an anon who's having problems?
>>
>>16499123
Actually was going to start a thread on this, but you saved me OP.

I fucked up and didn't major in this in college like I should have. Work a shitty desk job and figured I should start trying to learn something to get into the field.

My friend took a class for about 3 grand. Learned Java, Backend and I'm not sure what else. He's working on a portfolio now and suggested I take the same class.

Should I OP? What are the steps I should be taking?
>>
>>16499547
You have no idea what you're talking about lol. How are software developers any more replaceable than any other career?

And if I were fired I could easily find another job, one with extreme job security in the defense industry.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.