[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>stay on campus >get invoices under my door that i owe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: help.jpg (6 KB, 276x126) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
6 KB, 276x126
>stay on campus
>get invoices under my door that i owe the college rent money
>make payments through internet banking, think nothing more of it
>turns out the payments weren't going through, find out today by a manager showing up today to talk to me about it
>i make the payment again and show it to him, explain that i have been making payments every time i got the invoice but apparently it didn't go through
>he seems sastified, leaves

>get a call a while later saying he wants to talk to me at the office
>some other guy is there, apparently because they need a 3rd party to observe the conversation
>he tells me i now have 48 hours to leave and that i can't stay at the college next year because i took too long to pay the invoice
>try to explain again that i wasn't doing it on purpose and had no idea it was a problem
>he just says it's my responsibility

He did give me a chance to talk to the head dean when she is free later today, but as of now i only have 48 hours to vacate and i have nowhere else to go as i am an international student.

Anyone got any advice?
>>
>>16497934
Welcome to college financing offices where you'll find quite the shortage of sense. Best of luck on the streets, OP!
>>
don't go anywhere . google eviction laws where you're living, it's probably not even legal for them to give you only 2 days to leave.
>>
>>16497942
The thing is that my lease was originally supposed to expire today, but residents had the option to extend. Apparently they never got my email to extend and wouldn't have approved it anyway because i owed them money (which i didn't know was a problem).
>>
>>16497944
>>
>>16497934 did you save a receipt of the earlier pay? I mean god come on now
>>
What country are you from and where are you studying?
>>
>>16497934
Welcome to the adult world, faggot. Sack up and take your licks.
>>
>>16497987
it didnt go through so theres no receipt

>>16498061
i'm studying business in australia

Spoke to the head dean just now, she didnt seem to believe me when i said i have been sending the payments, etc and just said that i have until friday 10 am to leave.
>>
>>16498158
>>
>>16498193
>>
So where did the money go?
>>
>>16498243
it didnt go anywhere
>>
>>16498249
>>
>>16498327
>>
>>16498451
>>
>>16498618
>>
It isn't legal for them to evict you like this. Sue, colleges have deep pockets and make for unsympathetic defendants.
>>
>>16498745
see >>16497944
>>
>>16498757
>>
>>16497934
Move out. It's really not hard to find a roommate
>>
>>16498932
On short notice? Really?
>>
>>16498946
>>
>>16497934
Talk to the dean. Their remit is to keep you in school if they can find any way to do it.

However you were sending the rent money, it was presumably coming from your bank account. Here's where you wither win or lose.

Do your bank records show the withdrawals? Then you can prove you were acting in good faith (and also start looking for where the money did go).

Do they not show any withdrawals? Then you're screwed, because it would have been your responsibility to spot that the first time and do something about it.
>>
>>16499307
I did talk talk to the head dean. I got the impression she was the one who told the manager not to let me stay because the manager originally seemed sastified and said he would need to check for vacancies, etc as they already rented out my room to some other people.
>>
>>16499707
>>
>>16500597
>>
>>16500743
>>
>>16498249
So it's still in your bank account? And you didn't think "hey, it didn't go through, let's try again" this whole time?

Also is this bullshit
>>16500597
>>16500743
>>16501205
>>16498327
>>16498451
>>16498618
>>16498738
Your way of bumping or something? Because it's fucking retarded
>>
Wait, so you realized payments weren't being made yet you did nothing? Well your fault at that point.
>>
>>16497934

>bank account has 1,000 dollars in it
>OP trys to put in rent
>4 days later still has 1,000 dollars
>man college rent isn't as bad as people say!

Are you fucking retarded OP?
>>
>>16501215
I didn't check my balance.
>>
>>16501237
So then it is your own fucking fault. You basically have no case and you deserve to be kicked out if you're this irresponsible. I hope you've been trying to find some place to live in the time this thread has been quiet, because there's no way they're going to let you back in, especially if they've already leased it to someone else. You don't pay rent, you get kicked out - plain and simple. Don't cry about how it's not your fault because the money didn't go through, because it is your fault for not checking.
>>
>>16501244
I'm really sorry to say that this guy is right. Although he could've chosen his words carefully because he was harsh, he did not say a single lie.

Sorry OP, I hope you can figure it out. I wish you well.
>>
>>16501244
uh yea the point of this thread wasnt to figure out who to blame for this. this is the advice board for a reason.
>>
>>16501262
I advise you to pack your shit and get the fuck out. Go home to mom and dad and tell them how you learned a valuable lesson in personal responsibility.
>>
>>16501268
that is not appropriate advice anon. please dont troll.
>>
>>16501272

yes it is. Certain things are important enough that you need to check-up on them. Real life isn't always full of second chances and in matters of rent it's almost never the case that there is a second chance. OP apparently hasn't checked his balance the entire year as rent not being taken out would be a large chunk of money missing or not missing. The school isn't going to listen to him and go "oh ok, let's cancel the new lease and get the guy who skipped out on payments for an entire semester back in here".

Op fucked up pretty bad and the fact that he didn't take 5 minutes to ever look at his bank account or speak with anyone about the mystery invoices shows how irresponsible he is. With that in mind the school will probably kick him to the curb, he should be seeking new homes/rental spots right now if he isn't already.
>>
>>16501262
What do you want us to tell you? Go to a homeless shelter or other emergency accommodation until you can find a new place to stay. Also don't spend that money you should have spent on rent up until now, because the university sure as hell is going to recover that money from you, and they're entitled to it too.
>>
>>16497934
I suspect they think you are actually unable to make the payments

before you talk to the dean
1. contact your funding source, and confirm you have sufficient funds, get them to send proof of this
2. contact student support at the college, tell them what's happening and explain the consequences if you are forced to leave
3. find the ombudsman, state education body, or official responsible for foreign students; the department of foreign affairs if you have to
4. contact your embassy unless you come from asia

talk to the dean, say
1. the office did not follow up on payments that weren't going through

2. you do have the money to pay

3. you are concerned about the effect this will have on your education, because it has caused you significant stress

5. tell him that the difficulty was caused by a administrative error, that you are not an accountant and were not given reasonable time to correct it

if he insists you leave, tell him that when you came ot the country you had assurances that the colledge would take reasonable steps to assist you, because you have no support otherwise, than you have been a fee paying student for (x number of months/years), and that if you were thrown out with only a weeks notice, no education, and nowhere to go it would be a serious issue for you, and that it might affect your visa status
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.