[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/, I'm in a huge problem right now. Basically, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Hi /adv/, I'm in a huge problem right now.
Basically, I'm in a strict Asian household and I've screwed my parents countless times.
So now I'm in college for the last time and they promised me that if I get another B- or below, I'm gonna get booted out and get sent back to Japan (since I'm in immigrant).
The lack of motivation and college issues has led me to a potential bad grade. What should I do? Should I break away from them? This is important.
>>
Fuck'em
>>
Japan's nice. Why not go?
>>
Is japan a valid option? If not there is your motivation for school.
>>
>>16491785
are they paying for your college at all? If they are, breaking away ISNT a wise move.
Also I don't know if your parents have the authority to boot you out of the country (assuming you're over 18).

Your best move is to go to your professor and explain the situation and ask if there's anything you can to to improve your grade.
>>
>>16491789
Okay, so where do I go from there?
Should I start go for an American citizenship?

>>16491793
Sure, I can speak the language and i'm japanese and all, but I spent most of my life here in the US. It's better to spend it here.
Also I'm going to start homeless anyway and that's another problem.

>>16491795
They ARE paying for college.
And when they mean boot out, they take out my green card and send me back to Japan.
Going to visit my academic advisor as soon as possible
>>
>>16491797
Okay, the other problem I have is motivation.
I'm a computer science major but I have no sure way of what to do in the long future.
What kind of motivation should I make to keep doing schoolwork?
>>
>>16491797
I just don't think they can forcibly take your green card if you are an 18+ adult.
Like you should look in to the legality of that.

Paying your own way through college yourself wouldnt be as bad as getting booted out of the county.

Also, I think your parents need a reality check. You should have a convo with them about this.
C's get degrees. As long as you're passing and doing well in most of your classes, there will be no difference between you and someone who got all A's and B's. You will both have the same degree from the same uni, and be certified for the same job. If they send you out of the country, they are wasting all the money they've spent on your education, and risk sending you into spiraling depression and ending your future. They will not take that gamble
>>
>>16491832
Even if I started off the college with an awful GPA?
>>
File: 1447744882898.jpg (44 KB, 403x663) Image search: [Google]
1447744882898.jpg
44 KB, 403x663
>>16491848
You could pretend you've never been to college at all.
>>
>>16491808
Um, not getting sent to a country you didny grow up to be homeless would be a pretty big motivator to me. I guess you could reward yourself for studying with cake. Motivating is doing it when you don't want to. Forcing yourself to do it, sit and think of that task, and don't let the instant gratification devices pull you in. Its all a choice, and not a fun one.
>>
>>16491853
Is that motivation is like?
>>
>>16491856
It amounts to the same thing. The brain is a muscle. It likes being lazy and hates having to work, because being lazy doesn't work the muscle and thinking does. Good studying, motivation, willpower, success all comes down to being able to do what needs to be done rather then what is fun or easy. Be the master of yourself.

PS I'm your father with an expensive tacking service installed

PSS I'm just fucking with you, not your dad, but still go study
>>
Do you even enjoy what you're studying?
>>
>>16491785
>What kind of motivation should I make to keep doing schoolwork?

If you don't get above a B-, you will get deported and sent back to Japan. And you are likely a person that isn't too fond of that kind of society due to stating your preference for staying here. Everyone will look down on you and tell you to commit sudoku, etc.

If you get above a B-, you get a free education, free easy job after graduation making a comfy living in the US and away from Japan.

Is it that fucking hard to get above a B-? Computer science is an easy major unless you're at one of those private schools where everything is theoretical and rigorous.
>>
>>16491785
Which country are you in?
I'm Asian too. I doubt your parents will send you back. Studying aboard is expensive and it's just a waste of their money if they send you back without a degree. I assume your parents are well-off
I know this Asian guy who got sent to Aus and his parents forced him to pay for his living expenses while he was in Aus so things were very harsh for him. He is from an affluent family
>>
Honestly you should have never let them treat you like that in the first place. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.
To solve this problem, you can compromise with your parents. For example, tell them that you will have (hypothetically) all A's at the end of the year, and if you don't then they can send u back to Japan. Ask them not to bother you throughout the year and promise that even if you have a grade under B-, you will get it up till the end of year.
>>
>>16491856
Well for me, I actually like what I'm doing. Do you not enjoy your major? If so, it might drum up your interest to find at least something in the CS field that interests you. If not, try looking into other majors and explaining to your parents that (insert major) is more useful and you're not suited to CS. So forcing you to take CS when you're not meant for it will just result in unemployment, when you could be a hidden genius in some other field, guaranteeing large monies
>>
>>16492802
>Nobody deserves to be treated like that.
OP's parents probably pay more than $50000/year for his education in the states. Studying aboard is a luxury. It's his responsibility to work hard
>>
>>16492807
I totally get that, my sister studies abroad. But OP's parents shouldn't pressure him like that, it's obviously causing panic and stress, threatening him.

>>16491785 (OP)

Just work harder and get your grades up. And ask your parents to stop giving you pressure like that. I hope everything works out fine.
>>
>>16492846
>panic and stress
It's nothing compared to what >>16492786 posted. At least OP's parents are not forcing him to work to pay for his expenses
>>
>>16491793
If anime taught you anything is that Japanese schools fucking sucks
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.