[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Studying abroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: download.png (2 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2 KB, 318x159
Is anyone here from UK?
I'm asking for someone who is planning to continue his studies in UK
(from foundation year)
>>
I'm from the UK and in my 4th year at uni if I can be any help?
>>
>>16489073
The boys pretty paranoid
his scared that if he goes abroad the pressure might be too much form him.
he's planning to go to Sheffield
a foundation year then university
his English is good enough
except for writing
some of the things his paranoid about are
what if they give an essay as assignment and he can't do it?
how is the school system? the behavior, timetables etc.?
you see what i mean by paranoid?
anything you can say to put his mind at ease?
>>
>>16489066
are you european or what?
if you are not, it will be very expensive for you
most likely, you will be kicked out of the uk/europe after your studies if you are not european
>>
>>16489092
Middle eastern
Iranian to be exact
and yes it is expensive
>>
>what if they give an essay as assignment and he can't do it?
There is usually a lot of help available. At my university, each student is paired up with a tutor who they can talk to in this type of situation.

>how is the school system? the behavior, timetables etc.?
This varies a lot between universities and courses. What are you planning to study and where?
I have nothing to compare it to, but I've enjoyed my time at uni and most of my friends have too.

>you see what i mean by paranoid?
Yes, but I think "anxious", "nervous" or "worried" would be more accurate. "Paranoid" is usually used to mean irrational worry, like the mental illness "paranoid schizophrenia".

>anything you can say to put his mind at ease?
The best way to learn a language is to move to a country where it's spoken. A uni accepting foreign students will provide English lessons and there will be clubs you can join to improve. You will be living with students from around the world who are in the same situation as you.
>>
>>16489112
Thanks. that'll help.
any other tips?
>>
>>16489066
First year at York here. I don't know anyone at Sheffield personally, but if it's anything like York there's very little to be worried about. There is lots of support for foreign students, and the university system is pretty leinient.

First I'd want to know if your friend has done an IELTS and what his score was. If it's upwards of a 5 he'll be absolutely fine in terms of living there, that's a good enough score to be able to live along side other people and not feel restricted by language.

Second I'd want to know what he's planning on studying. If he studys something like English Lit or PPE then it'll be more intensive in terms of essays than something like Mathematics or Chemistry.

If he struggles to write an essay, there are bound to be departments that help people like him to improve his english in writing, as well as there being specific tutors who will guide him in the right direction in his essays, not just improve his english.

The university system is very relaxed. The relationship between undergraduate and lecturer, tutor whoever is very friendly and respectful. Some undergrads want to spend all their time partying and not doing any work. Some want to do nothing but work, and some want to waste their time of 4chan. The university doesn't care so long as you do the work they ask of you, which in my case (Electronics and Nanotechnology) has not been that intensive.

As for timetables, it's really pot luck. I have a 9am start basically every weekday, other people have starts at 2pm. It's important to check the number of contact hours you get on your course, as for some that can be a make or break part of the deal. I have a friend who has 6 hours of contact a week, personally I have 23-24 depending on special lectures.

Lastly I'd point out that he's doing a foundation year, which is designed to be very easy. The pressure might be too much for him, but only if he doesn't use the resources around him.
>>
>>16489149
His overall IELTS is 7.5
his writing is 5.5 speaking and reading 7.5 and a 8.5 for listing
his planning to go for mechanical engineering
and thanks for the help
>>
>>16489159
If he's a 5.5 in writing and he's looking to do Mechanical Engineering then he should be absolutely fine. There may be essays further down the line, but at the start it's much more likely it'll just be maths and problem solving.

Even then I doubt he'll write anything over a few thousand words and I'd expect that'd be towards the end of 2nd year/3rd year. Plenty of time for his writing to improve.

I think your friend will be absolutely fine, and if he wants to come, he should.
>>
>>16489192
Thanks a lot
>>
one last bump
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.