[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My school is telling me that even though I'm 18, my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1390287138933.jpg (300 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1390287138933.jpg
300 KB, 640x640
My school is telling me that even though I'm 18, my parents still have the right to control my education. Is this a load of horse shit, or is it legitimate?
>>
Horse shit.
>>
>>16481017
state?
>>
>>16481023
Yep, total horse shit but OP is too much a faggot to do anything about it.

It's called you move out and take care of your own damn self and make your own rules.
>>
>>16481024
California.
>>
>>16481029
It's the school that's causing me problems, not my parents.
>>
>>16481037
High school, right? What's the issue that they won't budge on this for?
>>
You're a senior, aren't you, boy? Just turned 18, huh? Mad that you can't sign yourself out of class to go smoke pot?

Get over it. It's just one more year. After this, they can't force anything in regards to education.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you're edgy and wanna be an ~adult~ and do your own thing. Just wait it out a couple more years and your parents will start considering you one. Start acting like one now to jumpstart the process.
>>
>>16481041
Yeah, High School, and a public one at that. I'm looking to go on a program called Independent Study where I take my work home with me and I don't have to go to school as much, so I can work more. I need more hours at work so I can move out soon, but the school is telling me my parents need to be involved, which won't work for them, and it shouldn't matter anyways because I'm 18, right?
>>
>>16481034
Yeah what they are saying is not true; however, if you don't want your parents to have any control over you you should leave them. No one can legally stop you from leaving their house/city/whatever.
>>
>>16481057
I don't mind living in my house and following my parents rules and all that, but the issue is my school telling me that my parents have as much power over my education as they do. I just wanted to know if the school was bluffing or not.
>>
>>16481047
It shouldn't matter, you are an adult. Go talk to the counselor.
>>
>>16481061
I did, but they tried to point me in the wrong direction to keep me in classes. The counselors are the most unbiased source of information, as they're paid by how many students they counsel.
>>
>>16481067
*Aren't the most unbiased.
>>
>>16481067
>>16481070
Fuck the public school system. Good on you OP for wanting out. Just be firm with them. If all else fails take it up with the school board.
>>
>>16481100
>this
nothing scares a teacher/principal more than involving the school board. Explain very calmly
what you want and when they reject it, simply say.

"thank you for your time, I will go bring this up with the school board."
>>
>>16481100
I feel like you can pull it off without throwing any drama though, OP. You seem like you have a case.
>>
>>16481044
>hey guys look at me im a cool adult man fuck kids
People like this are worse than the kids they talk down to.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.