[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am building a editing/gaming pc finally and would like some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Ultimate Gaming PC.jpg (39 KB, 460x655) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Gaming PC.jpg
39 KB, 460x655
I am building a editing/gaming pc finally and would like some recommendations for operating systems. I was exposed to Ubuntu in college thought that was neat. Pros cons? Thanks in advance.
>>
Ubuntu is pretty good. The support community is strong. Would you install it as the main OS or from a bootable drive? Im sure that if you know how to install linux, you'll have minimal problems installing windows games on it.
>>
Just put Windows on it, get Vmware or virtualbox, and mess around with Ubuntu in a VM
>>
>>16475731
This
>>
>>16475728
I would like to use it as my primary. What's the learning curve like? I'm familiar with coding, but we never touched Linux in school.
>>
If you want to game then you pretty much have to go with Windows. I find 8.1 to be pretty tolerable with classic shell.
>>
>>16475717
mac os x, theres a reason they have macs for graphic design labs in university.

ubuntu is fucking shit and windows feels like its made out of tracing paper.

just get an imac
>>
Why are we suddenly getting a bunch of computer questions?
>>
>>16475717
Ubuntu has no professional video editing software, and only a fraction of the games that windows does. Linux is also currently a mess with opencl support.
>>
>>16475805
How fucking dumb do you get, what games will he play on faggot os?
>>
>>16475823
Can you not make things run on the system, with emulators or some such?
>>
>>16475881
What's better? Running a professional program that has full support for Windows, or getting it to try and run in something like WINE where it might not even run in the first place or if it does, it'll be buggy as hell.

Your best bet is >>16475731

You can get all the Linux experience you want in a VM
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.