[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I leave my shit small town and go to the big city? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nv31v4bPGi1ravzcuo1_1280.jpg (160 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv31v4bPGi1ravzcuo1_1280.jpg
160 KB, 640x1136
How do I leave my shit small town and go to the big city? I have no motivation to get an apartment here because it fucking sucks and there's nothing here at all. I'm stuck living with my parents and I fucking hate every second of it. I want to go to la or NYC but it seems like there is no way to make it there unless you already have a good job. I don't even know what I want to do with my life. Living in a forest for so long I never really "found myself"
>>
Be 18 and get a car

Then leave..

I dont like bait
>>
>>16455567
Well I don't like useless posts
>>
>>16455578
Ok.. keep posting the same thing for 6 months straight and get every answer possible and every piece of advice possible and not take any of it..
>>
>>16455584
Oh yes getting in a car and just driving there is great fucking advice what was I thinking
>>
>>16455586
You want to be spoonfed or something?

Get a car, make plans to leave your town. It's possible but it's not going to fall into your lap without hard work. Sorry.
>>
>>16455590
I'm not asking how to physically arrive there I mean how the Fuck do I live in a major city when they average rent price in them is 2500 a month and minimum wage pays half that
>>
By getting roommates and multiple jobs.

Or just tell NYC to suck a dick, and move somewhere cheaper.
>>
>>16455786
You have to get 2 jobs just to live there? My friend is a black guy from Manhattan and he lives in section 8 and has no job and he has an iPhone 6s with thousands of dollars worth of useless crap.

God this white disadvantage is fucking awful
>>
>>16455564

>unless you already have a good job

what? no. i moved here to los angeles with only 1000 bucks, and i managed to land my first job in month two. it was a bit rough delaying my rent with month 3, but i caught up fine.

my recommendation: get a job where you are now, save up as much money as you possibly can (at least six months worth of hypothetical expenses, perhaps about 6000 bucks) then make the move. sublet somewhere month to month that is furnished (my place was 575 a month for a private bedroom in the back of an old victorian style house) and it wokred quite nicely til i was settled.

when you first get here, immediately apply to work at the donor services group in hollywood. they will hire ANYONE. they will set you up at slightly more than minimum wage, but the hours are inconsistent, cuz if you arent selling well, they send you home early. at best you will last maybe 2 weeks, but most people are fired before the full month. but this allows you to make more money while you apply for REAL jobs
>>
>>16455964
>575

Those craigslist ads on la are real? Holy fuck I can totally do that. I'm usually really really fast at finding jobs too
>>
>>16455980

keep in mind this was in 2010, and it was subletting and it wasn't in a great neighborhood, and its kitchen was outside. but yeah.

right now i pay only 760 for my half of a large two bedroom in hollywood, though i hear the prices have gone up there too.
>>
>>16456017
Do you mind me asking how? I looked up the average rent and it's 2 grand and everyone tells me there's nothing under a grand. 750 is what I'd pay for an apartment where I am now.
>>
Doesn't work anymore where you can just travel with $20, find a series of jobs and then end up with a 100k career and family.

That's what boomers could do.
>>
>>16455932

I live in NY, am black, have sec 8 and have to work 4 jobs to afford everything. This is either bullshit or your friend is quietly selling blow/blowjobs.
>>
>>16456032

i got mine in like... 2011. i think it was slightly under sold to us and it goes up by 40 bucks a year. in north hollywood they recently hiked their rents up a bit as well as they were at the same rate i was but not anymore.

i havent had to move ever since cuz... well its virtually perfect (save for the lack of central heating and cooling).

last time i checked getting a 3 bedroom at about 800 per room was possible a little farther east of me. not fancy living but its your own hole in the wall.

it also depends how close to central LA you want to be. i live in hollywood, so thats a bit expensive, but the farther out you go the less expensive it is while still living in los angeles. depends what you want.

i stayed in the poor part for 575 a month, but that may have just been me getting lucky. subletted.

i just checked and im seeing a lot of sublet deals for under 800 here in central LA though, you just gotta click on reoom and shares and sublet temporary ONLY when searching.

the best advice i can give is to stay with someone who lives in los angeles while looking for a more long term (but mayb e still temporary) place to live.
>>
>>16455564
dude LA fucking sucks

its a shit city, i want nothing to do with it and I live 15 minutes away. its trash

i dont understand the allure. you must be quite young
>>
>>16456080

pretty much this. i only live here to pursue film, and even then its pretty bad.

unless you are gay i dont really see the appeal.
>>
>>16456086
No I'm a music producer and I've wanted to live in la since I was young

You would never understand unless you had to stare at ugly hicks your whole life
>>
>>16456152

I live in los angeles... grew up on an island full of imbreds. trust me los angeles is not great. I'm the one with the experience here, not you. you'll get here and see nothing but ugly city folks here.

but if you wanna come here to produce music, i guess thats a thing, i mean im here for film so yeah. good luck getting out here.
>>
>>16456160
I have friends from cali who live here and they say it's better
>>
>>16456181

it might be better than where you are, but its still a shitty place to live. considering how epically over priced it all is, how guys with scabies ride the bus with you, how were basically cockroaches crawling all over each other to fit in these little holes in the wall, the pretentious culture surrounding everything from food to fashion to dating.

its nuts.
>>
>>16456184
Yeah those scabies sound like sickening shit, but what place is better than la? Every place has flaws

Moving away for affordable housing is one thing but you can't hate the city for that
>>
A big city boy here. Born and raised in South Detroit.

I'd move to a small town in a heartbeat. Downtown life sucks and everything seems to go at 100 miles an hour. It's too much stress and if you can find stability in a small city that isn't as stressful but has a decent population (Milwaukee for example), then you'll be okay.

Sometimes I just want to take a midnight train going anywhere.
>>
>>16455598
I don't know. Maybe get a better job, save some cash, get over your entitlement. Or you know, don't get an apartment in NYC.
>>
>>16455598
Roommates.
>>
Start smaller.. L.A. is a shithole from what I've heard don't live there you'll get destroyed. Maybe NY is ok it's relatively a safe city.
>>
>Actually wanting to live in a city

This might come as a surprise but people suck ass, and if you want to spend 90% of your income just barely surviving in some metro shithole under the guise of 'having shit to do' you're more than welcome to but your problems aren't going away that easily.
>>
nice boobies in ops pic
>>
>Do you mind me asking how? I looked up the average rent and it's 2 grand and everyone tells me there's nothing under a grand. 750 is what I'd pay for an apartment where I am now.
>appartment
I think this dude was talking rooms, not appartments.
>>
LA and NYC are both shit holes. Enjoy the smell of piss and angry drivers as you remember how peaceful it was to live in that small town in the middle of nowhere.
>>
Ever thought about Chicago instead of LA or NYC? Chicago is wayyy more affordable and a job is not that hard to find. Hell, I'm hiring right now and basically taking anyone that can show up to the interview.

I moved to Chicago right after high school. It's a great city of you can stand the seasons. Lots of young people, good nightlife, culturally relevant, great food, etc.
>>
>>16458081
Maybe OP wants to experience big city life after having lived in a small town his or her's whole life. Nothing wrong with trying it out for a few years.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.