[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one build an identity as a man despite of not being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Harvey Ball.jpg (83 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
Harvey Ball.jpg
83 KB, 540x304
How does one build an identity as a man despite of not being fit for physical labour or war?
>>
>>16449554
Increase your intellect and knowledge. Learn.
>>
>>16449554
Read the Way of Men. A lot of it can be pseudo-intellectual, but he talks about masculine substitutes for warfare, labor and conquest.

Are you not fit for health reasons, or not fit because you are lazy?
>>
>>16449562
How do you increase intellect when you're dumb as shit?
>>
>>16449568
Who's the author? Can I find it online?

Not fit for health reasons. I can manage normal life just fine, but I'm not going to wrestle a bear.
>>
>>16449570
Admitting your dumb is the first step. People who think they're smart, or think they know everything are ignorant. You're just being lazy. You can practice long division and multiplication, chess, and logic to help with reaction time. Or you might actually have a knack with an instrument if you give it 20 hours of getting familiar with it
>>
>>16449590
I've had one of the best educational systems in the world try to stuff shit in my head for the past 10 years and I still don't understand shit.

I can't do math, I never learnt to play chess, I never learnt to pay the piano, and I never learnt to speak french.

I just literally hate learning.
>>
>>16449604
What do you like doing then? And can you find an application to it to build a stronger and more confident identity?
>>
>>16449604
So you don't want to learn, you don't want to work, and you don't want to fight.

Good. Then your desire won't be standing in your way.

It's important to do some things you enjoy, of course. Every man must; everyONE must. But you cannot build an identity as a man that way. Being a man is about the things you DON'T want to do, but do anyway, because they need done. This is what makes you dependable, and that dependability is where the masculine identity emerges.

In other words, you may not want to learn, or work, or fight, but tuese things need done. Find a way to do some of them.
>>
>>16449570
People usually admire the character traits associated with intellect rather than intellect itself. There's this narrative that if you're slow then you're immediately thoughtless, crude, and generally half of an actual person. While your intelligence is relatively fixed your personality and interests are not.

Be curious, read voraciously, and always be willing to admit what you don't know. The better you can detach your ego from what you're trying to do the better you'll be.

You sound a lot like me. It's easy to get so wrapped up in your self-perception that you feel like you can't escape. The secret to learning anything is coping with the initial frustration of not knowing what you're doing.

Right now you're faced with a pretty universal dilemma. That being what do you value more -- the discomfort of doing something you dislike, or feeling inadequate your whole life?

I hope this post helps despite it coming with a big spoonful of rejection. The hole's a bad place to be.

Sincerely an anon with brain damage
>>
>>16449726
* Projection, whoops I'm fucking retarded
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.