[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Poorfag >Love to paint >No money or space to paint
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9
File: 1444411327815.jpg (178 KB, 640x872) Image search: [Google]
1444411327815.jpg
178 KB, 640x872
>Poorfag
>Love to paint
>No money or space to paint so I'll ask for garbage canvas and the like people don't want, black and white paints
>Paint paint paint, submit some works to local art show/fair
>Waiting for email back to see if any accepted
>Trying to get into a decent art school but not sure if its what I want

Is art school worth it? Might just get a dead end job and paint until I die or something, in an apartment. I'm mentally ill according to psychiatrists and psychologists but I don't know man. I just really want to paint.

So, schooling?
>>
File: 1442761542420.jpg (589 KB, 1920x886) Image search: [Google]
1442761542420.jpg
589 KB, 1920x886
>>16442150
>>
>>16442150
I think that in order to be successful in art school, you need to find a way to express your art in a way that is useful to others. Graphic design, illustrating books (especially for children), animation, murals, tattoos, fashion, etc. Your canvas needs to be versatile..

My sister is currently in a similar position. She draws beautiful realism and cartoons. She found a job in graphic design for a fashion company. However, this job is only to draw what other people want. But it is how she gets paid. Getting paid for original pieces isn't likely, but if you are able to give people what they want, you will be more successful.
>>
File: industrial-modern-loft-.jpg (83 KB, 790x489) Image search: [Google]
industrial-modern-loft-.jpg
83 KB, 790x489
>>16442150

Art school alumni here.

It all depends on what you want out of it. Do you want to really examine yourself as an artist, as well as expose yourself to new ideas and examples of art? Then go to art school.

Do you want to become a famous artist? Do you want to get better at art? Do you feel like you just don't fit in anywhere else? Then DO NOT go to art school.

Art school is VERY expensive, and it does not teach you how to make money in the art world. It doesn't set you up for interpersonal interactions and how to market yourself. It can be a lazy and confusing place if you aren't already an explorative, self-sufficient person.

I had to rely on my own wits during and after school. The only thing I truly owe art school is that it forced me to think creatively, and approach problems in a unique way. Past that, it's up to you.

If you are poor, forget going straight to art school. Go to community college, get your GE out the way for cheap, and try to link up with people who work at galleries. Just get into an art-related social circle and see what makes it tick before you invest money you do not have into something that may not work for you.
>>
It all depends OP.
Most art schools today don't have specific studies, such as painting, sculpture, performance. They are usually all-compassing and for a painter that can be pretty damaging as you' be throwing away your money not getting the feedback you'd be paying for.

I say go for it on your own, there's so much information out there and you need to inform yourself first and foremost.
>>
File: 1444846530162-0.jpg (120 KB, 634x777) Image search: [Google]
1444846530162-0.jpg
120 KB, 634x777
>>16442167
Thanks, I'm aware of the reality of the situation a little more now. Tough world. In all honesty, if it means the park bench a few nights, I think I'll continue painting what I paint.

>>16442169
I believe exposure is one of my main desires, different ideas, styles, etc. Of course I want to be famous, I don't feel I belong anywhere, and its not that I want to get "better at art", I just find it my goal to capture a certain feeling, emotion through painting.

When I feel the need to paint I paint, can't help it.

>>16442174
Shit, but thank you, I will be doing more research.
>>
>>16442182

>Of course I want to be famous

Art school will not teach you how to be famous. That takes charisma, discipline, talent, connections, and luck.

>I don't feel I belong anywhere

Art school is just as cliquey and exclusive as anywhere else, maybe even more so. People are opinionated, biased, and pretentious in art school. Sure, there might not be any jocks or frat dudes, but hipsters are big assholes when it comes to not conforming to their standards.

If you are compelled to paint, then paint. Show your paintings to others, try to develop your won style. That's what you'll be doing in school anyway. Go to museums and galleries, see what inspires you. Learn more about artists and keep painting. Go to a gallery and just pick people's brains. Again, this is all much less expensive than art school, and just as effective.
>>
>>16442150
What countries would you consider studying in, if it came to that.

Honours Degree Alumni here. I went to a London art school, with painting and sculpture as the only courses at the fine art department. Wouldn't fully agree with everything said ITT, but it is indeed a tough line to walk. What the schools offer depends on you as a student. You might achieve the same level as an autodidact, but the art school environment can be very stimulating.

Do you mind posting something you've made?
>>
File: 7.jpg (753 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
753 KB, 3264x2448
>>16442234
Thank you anon, I sincerely appreciate it.

The best way to describe my view in life, is I've been watching life happen, not living it. I've been watching and desperately trying to capture it. Tortures me sometimes.

Again, thank you.

>>16442269
First world countries preferably, and thanks for the advice. Pic related. One of my more recent pieces, really like piling on layers of paint for that texture. Feels great.
>>
>>16442150
If you can't afford it as a hobby now, you won't be able to afford art school. Just saying, that's the reality. A coworker of mine had to take some time off because she couldn't afford to pay tuition and for materials and needed to save up for a semester
>>
File: 1430268369422-2.jpg (343 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1430268369422-2.jpg
343 KB, 1920x1200
>>16442333
Figured, thanks.
>>
File: 2.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Hate bumping this late but maybe I'll get one or two more replies.

>>16442325
I know its crap artistically speaking, but most of them are spontaneous. The ones I take my time with are buried somewhere. Might do another big one (greater than 36'' x 36'') soon, those I take my time with.

Here's a quick one I did recently.
>>
>>16442150

> Going full /pol/ for a second here

Hitler was rejected by the art school, and went on to become Der Führer

What I am saying is that you don't need to go to school to be a good artist: there are litterally hundreds of thousands of videos, articles, blogs and forums discussing art. There are tens of millions art pieces hanging on museums and in private homes around the world.

Explore, expand your mind, art school won't make you famous, it might just set you back 40.000 dollarinos with nothing gained.

Keep painting, keep trying to make it at art fairs and shows, maybe try pestering local galleries. Work your ass off, some of the greatest artists came from poverty.

One last thing, most great artists died in poverty as well.

Oh, and don't fall in love with whores (as in prostitutes)
>>
File: 1.jpg (809 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
809 KB, 3264x2448
>>16442743
Thanks man I appreciate it. And don't worry, I learned about the whores early on.

Think I'll hit up some museums and the like tomorrow.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.