[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What anime/manga/LN/VN series have great concepts, but generally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: fatezero.jpg (74 KB, 721x1024) Image search: [Google]
fatezero.jpg
74 KB, 721x1024
What anime/manga/LN/VN series have great concepts, but generally shitty or hamfisted executions.

The Fate franchise is this for me hands down, great setting, great concept and great rules for the holy grail war, but then the franchise is just hampered by shitty writing, edgelord shit and anime tropes/fanservice out the ass.
>>
Uh no. Fate Zero was great but Fate UBW was a mess.
>>
>>144153577
read the the vn
>>
>>144153628
I've played the VN's, I even own fate merchandise (Saber and Rin are love), that doesn't stop the franchise being terribly written though and Kiritsugu and Shiro being 2 of the most bland, poorly written characters in anime.
>>
File: 13865835942452.png (192 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
13865835942452.png
192 KB, 1252x1252
>>144153577
>edgelord shit
>gets taken advantage of because he just wants to help others

>>144153619
>>144153628

UBW was good for what it was. There isn't really a great way to adapt the franchise unless you're willing to commit to making 3 different versions in their proper playing order, and even that will most likely confuse the viewers.

>>144153698
>Kiritsugu and Shiro being 2 of the most bland, poorly written characters in anime

They might be kind of generic but there's nothing bland about them. Did you even bother watching/reading anything about them or their backstory? The only people that think they are bland are the guys who just searched up the fight scenes on youtube.
>>
>>144153698
>Kiritsugu and Shiro being 2 of the most bland, poorly written characters in anime

You have AD or are straight up dumb.
>>
>>144153787
>edgelord shit

No edgelord shit because all the villains are just blatant edgelords and Kiritsugu is a blank slate power fantasy. Not to mention literally all the heroes turn out to be the embodiment of anime tropes personified. You can find every single character in fate, almost 1:1 in most generic fantasy action anime out there.

>They might be kind of generic but there's nothing bland about them.

They are basically complete blank slate characters. Shiro is completely generic "guy who lives by himself that all girls fall in love with because he shows them the most basic of human kindness" MC and Kiritsugu is the most blank slate power fantasy edgelord character in anime, "I've got no personality and I'm so dark and brooding and the worlds best super assassin, pffft nothing personal kid"

The fate franchise is terribly written, it's like something a teenager would write in high school, lets not forget it conveys information in exposition dump after exposition dump.
>>
File: gatea.jpg (300 KB, 640x911) Image search: [Google]
gatea.jpg
300 KB, 640x911
>Hey we have this concept about our world coming into contact with a fantasy world who declare war on us, lets do something with this concept!

>Sure, lets have like 3 episodes where the army does stuff, and then 20 episodes of harem anime shit.

>GENIUS.
>>
File: picrelated.jpg (149 KB, 591x427) Image search: [Google]
picrelated.jpg
149 KB, 591x427
>>144154055
>all the heroes turn out to be the embodiment of anime tropes

Thats... thats because they are supposed to be the heroes of legends that all the other shit is based on... thats literally the point of the anime... a guy's power is LITERALLY THE WEAPONS OTHER WEAPONS ARE BASED ON
>>
>>144154224
the worst part is that the premise is pretty damn interesting, I just wish someone took it seriously instead of making it just another excuse for MC to have stupid op powers/tech
>>
>>144154224
It's a shame as well, because the military and political intrigue is where the show shines, but then the series spends 90% of the time about MC trying to deal with the problems of his friends and the power of love or some shit.

Lots of people have a problem as well with the extreme pro-Japanese circlejerking, but I personally found that hilarious especially the one off lines here and there about how awesome Japan is:

"Oh I thought the Japanese were amateurs, but it turns out the Japanese are far superior to us American special forces and CIA!"

"How is this food possible? Why are Japan able to turn anything into perfect works of art?"

"Japan cares most of all about it's citizens and will do anything for them, Japan is a beacon for all of the world to see in how to be a good government!" (Tell that to fucking Abe and his fuckwits)
>>
File: mission-accomplish_1505293i.jpg (54 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
mission-accomplish_1505293i.jpg
54 KB, 620x400
>>144154224
Literally just do this

except instead of the gate opening in Japan

it opens in Texas
>>
>>144154594
Opens in the USA. F-22's Patrolling. launch gps and spy satellites. So many possibilities.

They never addressed the main issue though. That gate only stays up for a little while. All those people stationed there are going to get stuck when it closes.
>>
>>144154224
ZnT has the same problem as well

>Dropped into fantasy world
>Ability to use any weapon
>Surrounded by WW2 military weapons that nobody knows how to use
>Used a sword and puts himself in constant extreme danger when a gun would solve the situation in 5 seconds.
>>
>>144154055
>all the villains are just blatant edgelords
You're going to have to expand on that one. Ryu/Caster are the only ones that come close to fitting that.
>>
>>144153787

More like Kiritsugu and Kotomine. In Fate/Zero both are about as compelling to watch as a fight between Heero Yuy and Setsuna F.Seiei would likely be. They're supposed to have this epic grand history and rivalry according to the lore of the original VN and then you go to watch it and their both just the most stiff, droning and monotonous characters who they tried to make seem cool with the underground parking lot thing but they that time I just wasn't buying it. There's always been something just kind of disjointed and awkward about that adaptation to me, frankly I never really liked it all that much looking back. It's kind of just like a whole bunch of stuff that is supposed to happen before a story that at the end of the day really isn't all it's cracked up to be nor promises.
>>
>>144154055

I think it's more let down by the characters and IMO the supposed climaxes actually being some of the least compelling parts of the story arcs. I mean Gilgamesh just sucks as an antagonist with how cliche arrogant big bad smug JRPG boss he is and Kotomine really isn't much better. He's this kind of droning monotone preacher guy with apparent daddy issues that feels like he just can't fit in with the world cause he's a fucking freak sociopath (it's really little more complicated than that) who hides in the background for most of a given arcs run and really only manages to play a big part in a route that has yet to be adapted and again really isn't all it cuts itself out to be. In a way Fate is like the ultimate series for lots of build up and hype but also empty promises so it's no wonder it kind of defines this current era of anime in a lot of ways and for a lot of people
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.