[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Hellsing a guilty pleasure or legit good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Hellsing_ultimate_8.jpg (50 KB, 824x464) Image search: [Google]
Hellsing_ultimate_8.jpg
50 KB, 824x464
Is Hellsing a guilty pleasure or legit good?
>>
>>143763569
Nice rec thread
>>
File: 1460841125607.png (504 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1460841125607.png
504 KB, 919x720
>>143763569
I don't know? how about you decide for yourself fag.
>>
>>143763569
Guilty pleasure, it's all style and no substance. Such style though.
>>
>>143763569
is this really from the ova? Looks more like the tv series
>>
File: Por-Que-No-Los-Dos.jpg (17 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
Por-Que-No-Los-Dos.jpg
17 KB, 288x288
>>
>>143763569
Pure rule of cool anon.
>>
>>143763569
Ovas legit good. Anime is shit
>>
>>143763569

Both. Not exactly my kind of anime, but far more engaging than I was expecting.
>>
Its bolth
>>
>>143763749
The OVA changed production house like three times. The first few were Genion, who also did the tv version, so it would make sense that they look similar.
>>
>tfw OVA is better animation but TV series is better soundtrack
Have they been combined into something desirable yet?
>>
>>143767547
>>143765087
>>143763731
These guys are about right. It's fun, turn your brain off and enjoy the beautiful violence with moments of oddly silliness and a little bit of very dark shit, usually related to rape/necrophilia.
>>
>>143763569
Legit good, but only in a superficial way. It's got nice visuals, charismatic characters and a good OST, so it's not a 'guilty' pleasure like something you'd just watch for tits or self insertion.
>>
>>143768538
Not that is doesn't supply the former. Hirano was a hentai artist early in his career, and brought multiple character from those into Hellsing.
>>
>>143763731

There is no objective good. Style is almost as important as substance, and moreso often considering what passes as substance is just throwing some philosophy meant to sound SO DEEP to clueless teenagers or sheltered enviromentalists with lots of swathes of solid color in place of actual art (muh rose-colored campus life)
>>
File: téléchargement (1).jpg (6 KB, 278x181) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement (1).jpg
6 KB, 278x181
>people itt say style is very important
>will proceed to shit on BLEACH
>>
>>143769614

Problem is that Bleach didn't know when to stop.
>>
I'll join the chorus saying it's good for what it is. I will, however, point out that it has issues with its tone, primarily in its use of super-deformed comedy bits that the Japanese have an inexplicable love for. They stuck one in the middle of what was supposed to be an emotional flashback montage, and my jaw literally dropped. Just what the fuck kind of tone are you trying to set with that?
>>
>>143763731

But does it have grace?
>>
File: 1438803014938.jpg (153 KB, 1339x1000) Image search: [Google]
1438803014938.jpg
153 KB, 1339x1000
It's a festival of cool and gore.
Also best Nazisplotation work.
>>
>>143769614

Most would just call you a shounenfag and disregard you, but I will give you the time of day.

>extremely mediocre art as a whole (and who can blame Kubo, it's a weekly publication and he's chained the Shounen Jump)
>plot is WAY WAY WAY more cliche than stylish
>far too many useless characters you could not give the remotest shit about
>its shounen fights really aren't that engrossing on the whole
>silly anime philosophizing is usually shit, decent at best, with only a few good exceptions

It doesn't have that much going for it compared to Hellsing, honestly. Though I haven't read it in years and for a long time I'd stopped paying even the remotest attention to it (after the fucking Dirty Boots shit)), it at least had its moments - like with Mayuri and Kenpachi - but those were few and far between. I've read spoilers regarding Kenpachi, Unohana, Ichigo's lineage, Yhwach, and the Soul King, and those seemed relatively interesting from what I gathered, but I can only imagine how many layers of bullshit these plot points were buried under. The tits were pretty nice, but those don't make a series.

You are not on the level of a Narutard, my friend, but you must understand. Bleach is not that great a series. The world has more to offer you. Might I suggest reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer?
>>
>>143770133
Agreed, the comedy was particularly jarring and unfunny. The inconsistent tone is easily the biggest weakness of the series. I haven't read the manga though, do I blame the mangaka or the director?
>>
>>143770638

You can blame either. I lean more towards the directors, since some things just don't work in animated format, and there is such a thing as being too faithful to the source material.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.