[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Japan have women comic creators creating beautiful works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: magic knight rayearth.jpg (171 KB, 652x888) Image search: [Google]
magic knight rayearth.jpg
171 KB, 652x888
Why does Japan have women comic creators creating beautiful works and America doesn't? Is it because Japanese creators create their work themselves and own them while Americans sell it to two corporations and have it turned into the comic equivalent of a rotting stench-stinking zombie?
>>
>>143104622
American Artists love to cut corners.
>>
Western cartoon styles are mostly ugly as shit. I guess it's because cartoons are rather aimed at kids, whereas anime are primarily made for teens and people in their twenties who can't be satisfied with oversimplified drawings anymore and who are rather interested in cute girls or boys.
Well, comics look usually more adult than cartoons as well but I hate them nonetheless. They feel like drawn 3DPD for me, if this explanation makes any sense.
>>
>>143107211
>They feel like drawn 3DPD for me
My man, I don't need more reality because one reality is more than enough for me: It suck
>>
Women comic creators in the West don't even want to try.
>>
The old CLAMP style (the one from Rayearth and X 1999) was good. The art style used in stuff like Angelic Layer and Chobits is pretty generic in my opinion.

And for the reason for this is because not everyone in the west is very fond of the anime art style.
I once had an art teacher who told me anime art style was "fugly" and told he did not get the appeal of it.
>>
I think it's difficult to pinpoint the exact reason, there's probably a lot to do with it. The biggest is probably that manga is Japan's largest form of media and even salarymen will read at least a handful of manga regularly. One Piece is the best example where it's popular way outside of its target demographic.
Japan's creative culture also has a ton of women creators, from writers and directors of anime to successful mangaka. It's definitely seen as a normal career for a woman to get into manga - whereas in the West becoming a comic writer is more of a male thing. There is also a gigantic female demographic in Japan which makes it easier for female creators to reach a proper fanbase. I mean, there are dozens of shoujo and josei magazines (if not hundreds). Most of these series tend to be created by women, but of course there's overlap with women making shounen/seinen and males make josei/shoujo (although I believe a josei created by a male is probably the rarest).
>>
File: ch07_30a.jpg (446 KB, 1100x1068) Image search: [Google]
ch07_30a.jpg
446 KB, 1100x1068
>>143104622
Sort of. American comics are dominated by the superhero (action) genre, which has more male appeal in terms of fans and aspiring creators. It's also dominated by long-running iconic characters passing from writer to writer and artist to artist. (OTOH, writers/artists also jump from character to character, and can still amass name recognition if they write/draw consistently well. And there are some prominent women in there, e.g. Gail Simone.)

Webcomics are where the maximum creative control is at, and one of /co/'s favorites is by a woman.
>>
>>143104622
Feminism hasn't taken root yet
>>
Japanese women decided to make their own shit instead of complaining and forcing men to pander to them?
>>
>>143108326
Yeah this. There is much shit among webcomics but it's mostly there that I find good western stuff. I enjoyed cape shit when I was a kid but I got fed up with it after a while got tired seeing the same characters again and again. Don't really get the long time appeal this has for many people.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.