[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the term "christian symbolism" used in the context
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
Why is the term "christian symbolism" used in the context of Evangelion but nobody says LotR has "norse symboslism" or Dune has "islamic symbolism"?
>>
Because those stories have redeeming qualities so they don't need to focus on how deep and metaphorical and exploding cross is.
>>
>>140134131
But they do say Dune has Islamic symbolism and LOTRs has Biblical and Norse symbolism.
>>
>>140134208
No, it's people in the west focusing on it. I've read interviews with Anno and Tsurumaki and it's always people from western magazines asking them about the meaning of the christian symbols. Japanese just look at it as part of the setting and aesthetic that generates a certain mood. Just like the norse elements in Tolkien's and islamic (multi-religious actually) elements in Dune.

Evangelion is about escapism, LotR is about the corruption of power and Dune is about the limits of the human mind. It's not like any of those themes couldn't be presented with different settings and for that matter probably characters and stories as well. But somehow only with Eva people get butthurt about it.
>>
>>140134241
They say the settings in the works are influenced by their respective mythology. Not that the fact that Elves, Dwarves and Trolls exist in Middle-earth is norse symbolism. In the sam way, the NGE doesn't have christian symbolism, it has a setting with elements inspired by kabbala and christianity.
>>
Because NGE actually does have Christian symbolism, such as crucifixion, kabbalah, etc.

What religious symbolism does LOTR and Dune have besides some slight, inevitable similarities in settings?
>>
>>140134131
Christian symbols don't really have a meaning in the Anime. Hideaki Anno just liked the symbols.
>>
>>140134932
A lot.
>>
The lord of the rings is rife with Christian symbolism.
It's primarily a Christian allegory.
>>
>>140135062
Name 1 thing that is actual symbolism, and not just similarities/speculation.
>>
>>140135051
Just like Hitler used the swastika? I think that makes sense.

>>140134131
What christian does OP's pig symbol?
>>
>>140134131
>>140134736
Because watching eva is much easier than reading a dense book, so many more retards have access to it. Combine that with a retard's understanding of why people would enjoy something that confuses them, and you have the conclusion that "They must like it because of the symbolism or something, fucking hipsters".
>>
>>140135168
Yeah you're probably right Hideaki made his own meaning behind it i guess.
>>
File: 084.png (102 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
084.png
102 KB, 300x256
>>140135156

>Adam
>Eve
>Spear of Longinus
>???
>>
>>140134131
>nobody says LotR has "norse symboslism" or Dune has "islamic symbolism"
Really?
>>
>>140135051
I think this is completely extrapolation.

At the very least, they knew what they were doing.
>>
>>140135051
I always laugh when I see this kind of response. It's as if the person is completely derived of any complex thought processes. He just saw the words "christian symbolism" and "evangelion" and spouted the same thing one anon has to blurt in every thread. Even if it totally doesn't fit the context of the discussion. He just read it somewhere and repeats it like a mindless sheep.
>>
>>140135366
I didn't say from NGE
>>
>>140135366
In the Lord of the Rings, he means.
>>
File: gif.jpg (42 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gif.jpg
42 KB, 400x300
>>140135434
It doesn't have a ''deep meaning'' i don't get where youre going with this..
>>
>>140135520
"lol"
>>
File: TUMBLR XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.gif (568 KB, 240x291) Image search: [Google]
TUMBLR XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.gif
568 KB, 240x291
>>140135580
r u ok?
>>
>>140134932
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien%27s_influences
>>
>>140135520
You still don't get it? My point is, you just spouted that same sentence everyone does in an eva thread without thought and it relating to what has been said here. We're talking about how the term "christian symbolism" doesn't even make sense in the context of the show in the first place. But nope, better just repeat something you've heard like a fuckin robot.
>>
>>140134131
Growing up in largely Christian western societies, we're much more perceptive of the Christian symbols, so a lot of it seems quite 'in your face'. Meanwhile, a lot of people may be much less perceptive of Norse and Islamic symbolism and influences as they are not as familiar with the religion.

Also while many different literature and films take symbolism from many different sources, Christian symbolism is a rare thing in anime.

So all in all, you're watching a japense show, and suddenly Adam, Angels, giant crosses and biblical references out the ass are all coming at you and you're thinking "They, i recognize all this stuff, why all the christian symoblism?"
>>
People say that all the time though.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.